'02 Lincoln ls & with all types of issues SMH

cooley_LS

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok guys I'm new to the forum but I've been on here multiple times for answers without an account.

Anyway Here we go... :D

I have an '02 V6
Now I just replaced the alternator (rebuilt) but the thing is I had someone else put it in right... As he was removing it he pulled/unscrewed something that made a hissing noise near the alternator he said "it was the AC valve" sounds like a lie now that I type it. What could that have been?

The same day we replaced the serpentine belt and this dude broke the little connector off of the upper radiator hose (plastic) but I glued it back on (GoopII + JW Weld).

Now before I fully glued it back on I ended up cracking the lil' "T" hose over the engine but I fixed that with the glue move (plus tape) :shifty: again today (it split N Half). The crack was on the hose going to the left from the middle of the "T" hose.

Ok now finally after this episode I get the car going but.... now the car won't pick up like it should when I hit the gas & it is somewhat sluggish esp. 40-45mph.

Next I noticed the defrost/heat doesn't come on???
Not to mention the battery light is on but I got a brand new battery W/ the repaired alternator and it passed the Autozone Alt/batt test.

Help!!! :eek:

The pic with the red circle is the T hose (What is it called foreal?).
The other is the upper radiator hose.

11402569_10100196559391963_8046218710621946466_o.jpg

11391201_10100196559127493_3489916225624326819_n.jpg

Looks like your plastic coolant components are failing those welds will not hold this is a very common issues with the ls and the only fix is to replace all coolant components and you will be good for another 100k miles

The "Battery" light is actually an alternator fault light. Your rebuilt alternator is bad or the wiring to it is bad. If it wasn't rebuilt with Ford parts, then that's your problem. There are very few other than Motorcraft that will work. The Autozone test is a good indication that the wrong parts were used in your rebuild. They test for normal alternators, but the gen I LS alternator is not controlled in the normal way.

You have to move one of the AC lines a bit to have enough room to pull the old alternator out and put the new one in. There's a clip and a bracket that have to be removed to be able to move the AC line enough. If he didn't do that, he probably cracked the line. That's an expensive part.

Your heater isn't working because there is air trapped in the cooling system that has to be bled out by following the correct procedure to the letter. However, there's little point until you replace all those plastic cooling system parts. If you expect to maintain this car on the cheap, you have the wrong car.

Thanks Guys. I bought this car about 8 months ago the last owner didn't care for the car well but it only cost me about $1700. So now I am dealing with what needs to be fixed.

What is the name of that "T hose" over the Engine??

and is there a common trunk leak?? I have notice it happens after it rains and it collects under the spare tire.

and is there a common trunk leak?? I have notice it happens after it rains and it collects under the spare tire.

yes... the sun roof has drain tubes. there is one in each A pillar and the other ones are in the trunk, pull the side panels and make sure they are connected.

I don't have a sunroof.

The gasket around the trunk lid can leak even though it may not look torn. Also check to see that all the drain plugs are in place in the bottom of the tire/battery well. You can also get leaks were the tail lights and license surround are bolted in.
You may have to get in the trunk with a flash light while someone sprays water everywhere they can outside.

I have the 01V6, you can replace the hoses and "T" by going to ace hardware and buying a "T" connector and new hose of the same inside diameter. You can even buy a metal "T" if you want it. try lowes and homedepot too. The cooling plastic is difficult to repair because it's under pressure. you might try a plastic epoxy or use a soldering iron to melt the plastic back together. vacuum leaks are a common problem on this car, check your vacuum line that runs from the trottle body to the back of the engine, it has two boots, the boot at the back of the engine always splits open. next take off the IAC valve from the throttle body, 2 bolts and connector, clean it out good with carb cleaner, reinstall. check your voltage at the battery with a multimeter, start car, put multimeter on vdc 20 volts, touch probes to battery terminals, you should see 14v+ which indicates the alternator is charging the battery, over 15v, the alternator is over charging, under 14 volts and alternator is bad or weak or you have the wrong alternator.

I don't have a sunroof.

The gasket around the trunk lid can leak even though it may not look torn. Also check to see that all the drain plugs are in place in the bottom of the tire/battery well. You can also get leaks were the tail lights and license surround are bolted in.
You may have to get in the trunk with a flash light while someone sprays water everywhere they can outside.

Thanks now that I think about it the brake light might be a little loose I did replace the bulbs a while back.

I have the 01V6, you can replace the hoses and "T" by going to ace hardware and buying a "T" connector and new hose of the same inside diameter. You can even buy a metal "T" if you want it. try lowes and homedepot too. The cooling plastic is difficult to repair because it's under pressure. you might try a plastic epoxy or use a soldering iron to melt the plastic back together. vacuum leaks are a common problem on this car, check your vacuum line that runs from the trottle body to the back of the engine, it has two boots, the boot at the back of the engine always splits open. next take off the IAC valve from the throttle body, 2 bolts and connector, clean it out good with carb cleaner, reinstall. check your voltage at the battery with a multimeter, start car, put multimeter on vdc 20 volts, touch probes to battery terminals, you should see 14v+ which indicates the alternator is charging the battery, over 15v, the alternator is over charging, under 14 volts and alternator is bad or weak or you have the wrong alternator.
Thank you. This really helps. I probably will take my alternator to get tested again.

Members online

No members online now.
Back