02 Lincoln LS V8 3.9L - Stalling!! Need some help

PompanoJJ

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok so my vehicle never shifted into first gear, a couple of days ago I was messing with the auto manual and trying to shift down to first where magically for the first time in forever it shifted. However when I gave it gas it kinda moved but not really. Anyways ever since I’ve been having a problem where the car stalls out when I come to a stop. I recently changed out the radiator and fan assembly. Due to overheating. No more overheating problems but now I have this problem, I come to a complete stop and sometimes it will stall and turn off. At times as well while I’m driving the gear shows “E” and states to “Check transmission”. I turn off the car and turn it back on and it seems fine again. However when I shift Drive it turns off. Reverse and everything else seems fine. Could I be low on oil? Also I’m kinda overreving which never happened before. My gears are taking longer to pull. However it’s a sealed transmission. No leaks nada. So I’m clueless at this point. I was receiving codes referring to the Air idle control valve(electric) and I swapped it out. When I did the problem seemed to go away for about 15 minutes. Driving down the road I received the check transmission situation again where the gear indicates E. The car has about 231.456 miles. I’ve never had a problem with the car at all especially knowing it never shifted down to first I was ok with it because the car seemed to adapt to it and ran smoothly always. I just need to know is it the tranny going bad? Or do I need to get a new/refurbished IAC. I got one from a junkyard. Please help I am clueless and could someone please explain to me how you put oil in this transmission with pics if possible.

When turned on dash is clear. I reset codes and still having this problem.

image.jpg

The 1st gen transmission is only supposed to go down to 1st if you give it a lot of gas at takeoff. It's a fuel economy thing...

Low transmission fluid can cause engine stalls, but so can other transmission faults. If you can get the car raised up and level, you can check the transmission fluid level by removing the inner part of the coaxial transmission drain plug. If the transmission is warmed up and you have recently cycled through the gears, engine running, transmission in park or neutral, then a little bit of fluid will dribble out if the level is correct.

Yes, the IAC could be causing the stalls. A mechanical problem (like it being gunked up) with the IAC will not trigger a DTC. I note that your idle speed is too high in the picture above.

Ok so I recently did a radiator swap and thermostat and also fan oem and for a second the fan started to spin hard and good and we forgot to connect the lower tube like dummy’s. Long story short we connected it and turned it on and never blew hard again. What could be causing this? I once got a transmisión overheating warning and I turned off the car. I also recently deleted the mufflers up until right around the center console. Please help have no idea I really like this car and want to build it as I get old

Have you ever checked the fluid level properly?
It must be correct.

Members online

No members online now.
Back