01 Ls v8 drives in all gears but reverse

khaz

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Yesterday while attempting to back out of a parking spot. My Ls. Just revs while in reverse. I finally got it to. and parked again ten mins later to test it. And it wouldnt reverse at alll. After a twenty minute drive home i parked and attempted to reverse and it worked fine but now i havnt got the car to reverse at all period. The dash board shows im in reverse gear and the reverse lights come on but the car just revs while in that gear. All other gears work fine.. what is the problem with that. Thought maybe trans fluid but ofcourse u cant check it. Because no dip stick. I hope the tranny isnt going because this is my favorite car... i havnt driven the car since getting it home just tested out the gears a couple times

You can check it, it's just more difficult. It could be low fluid, it could be a bad solenoid, or it could be something else. Either way, continuing to drive it will only do more damage and add to the repair expenses.

Sounds similar to what my LS did, except i didnt have full use of d4 and d5. I hope its a simple fix

Yesterday while attempting to back out of a parking spot. My Ls. Just revs while in reverse. I finally got it to. and parked again ten mins later to test it. And it wouldnt reverse at alll. After a twenty minute drive home i parked and attempted to reverse and it worked fine but now i havnt got the car to reverse at all period. The dash board shows im in reverse gear and the reverse lights come on but the car just revs while in that gear. All other gears work fine.. what is the problem with that. Thought maybe trans fluid but ofcourse u cant check it. Because no dip stick. I hope the tranny isnt going because this is my favorite car... i havnt driven the car since getting it home just tested out the gears a couple times

My bet would be on the solenoid, they are a common issues and if the issue were to be fluid it would affect more than just reverse. (Never a bad place to start as it only costs time) while not as common there could be issues in the valve body such as a torn seal. At any rate it will cost less now to fix than in the future. Expect 2,000 while it may be much much less if it does have serios issues you are prepared for it.

Members online

Back