01 LS rubbing/grinding sound

cplagge

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 2001 LS. The long story is that I bought new struts for the front because they were going out. Had a mechanic install them. He tells me that the outer tie rod end is going out, the hub bearings, and the lower ball joints are all failing.
So I purchase the parts, and have him install them. So I get the car back, and now I notice that when I turn the wheel left, there is a grinding sound coming from the drivers side wheel.

I looked at it, and it looked to me like they had put the heat shield in backwards or something, so i took it back to the shop, and they remounted the heat shield. Problem solved! That is, until the next day. Now when my car is in reverse, the passenger side wheel is grinding, but only if I am turning the wheel to the right! Do you think it is the heat shield on the passenger side? Could this mechanic have made such a mistake?

TL;DR version: Grinding sound coming from passenger wheel when backing up slowly and turning right.

Thanks guys!

Yeah thats what I figured. I was wondering if perhaps they messed something else up as well

I just did ball joints for a fellow members car and same issue with the heat shields,
unfortunately they get in the way a little when doing the ball joints and get tweaked a litte, so if the clearance is not enough they can rub on turns or rub all the time, just need to tweak them back to get more clearance.

Well I am going to take it back to the shop monday, and make sure they fix it for good.

I had this issue when they replaced my tie rods. get a jack and jack stands and take a look at the inside of your rims. i'm sure you'll find that something is grazing against the edge of the rims.

Members online

Back