00 LS 3.0 5spd - Buck/Jerk - Only When Driving in Snow Dust/Powder

md1twal3

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Long time lurcher here guys...my LS has been running like a champ for a long time now. Runs great in all weather conditions except when there is snow flying around. Only and I mean ONLY when it is snowing or there is snow dust in the air, the car will let out random bucks/jerks. Usually only 1 or 2 firm bucks here and there. No specific speed or engine load, only weather it does it in is when snow is in the air.

I mentioned it a year or so ago in a post here but the snow was gone so the issue didn't crop up again in 2013.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...35-Intermittent-Buck-Jerk-While-Driving/page2

It is not an ignition miss, I've been through all tests and parts replacements common to the ignition miss and I am confident the normal COP, etc. issues are not the problem here. It's a strange one...anybody seen this before?

and you're sure this isn't the tires losing and regaining traction?

I'm currently having the same problem I believe. Haven't had much snow other than yesterday. But intermittent 1 or 2 bucks. Today the roads are dry and the car seems fine. Really don't know what to think. Mine is a 2005 ls8 automatic. Guess I'll see if it pops up again once I get some snow.

I'm currently having the same problem I believe. Haven't had much snow other than yesterday. But intermittent 1 or 2 bucks. Today the roads are dry and the car seems fine. Really don't know what to think. Mine is a 2005 ls8 automatic. Guess I'll see if it pops up again once I get some snow.

Watch for the flashing AdvanceTrac (if you have AdvanceTrac, traction light if not) when it happens next time.

Watch for the flashing AdvanceTrac (if you have AdvanceTrac, traction light if not) when it happens next time.

this!

but while 99% the light will flash even with the most minor of low traction issues (like just driving over a big bump in the road where a tire may leave (or partially) the road for a fraction of a second) occasionally I can feel the traction slip ever so slightly and the light wont come on, it kinda feels like the car is still making corrections but its so fast and quick that is a little hard to tell for sure.

I've had the same thing happen over the years in snow / ice. Just driving down the road at a constant speed, it will happen. I've always written it off as both rear wheels losing traction momentarily and slowed the heck down.

FYI, For the '00 LS 5 Speed, Advance trac was not an option. This is the only year/model that advance trac was not available.

No advancetrac and no traction control on MT cars. I do not believe the original posters problem is traction related. I've been driving mine (2000 V6 MT) on ski trips for 11 years. I have had bucking several years ago but replacing the coils fixed that. Last winter I had light bucking (different than the bad coil type) occur mostly during cruise. Haven't noticed it since. Based on older Fords I believe its a failing TPS. I have not checked it out yet.

As a test (on MT models only) I would recommend disconnecting the TPS when the car is experiencing these bucking problems. Without the TPS the car will go into a fail safe mode where the engine races (~1500 rpm) at idle so driving stop and go becomes a problem (and automatics will become hard to stop) but if the TPS is causing the bucking the car will run smoothly with the TPS out of the picture. I know this sounds strange, but I drove an XR4Ti with the TPS disconnected for a smooth 200 mile highway trip home where the car was almost undriveable with the TPS connected. Once I got home I replaced the TPS and the car once again drove like it should.

FYI, For the '00 LS 5 Speed, Advance trac was not an option. This is the only year/model that advance trac was not available.

No advancetrac and no traction control on MT cars. I do not believe the original posters problem is traction related. I've been driving mine (2000 V6 MT) on ski trips for 11 years. I have had bucking several years ago but replacing the coils fixed that. Last winter I had light bucking (different than the bad coil type) occur mostly during cruise. Haven't noticed it since. Based on older Fords I believe its a failing TPS. I have not checked it out yet.

As a test (on MT models only) I would recommend disconnecting the TPS when the car is experiencing these bucking problems. Without the TPS the car will go into a fail safe mode where the engine races (~1500 rpm) at idle so driving stop and go becomes a problem (and automatics will become hard to stop) but if the TPS is causing the bucking the car will run smoothly with the TPS out of the picture. I know this sounds strange, but I drove an XR4Ti with the TPS disconnected for a smooth 200 mile highway trip home where the car was almost undriveable with the TPS connected. Once I got home I replaced the TPS and the car once again drove like it should.
Ive got an 01 MT with traction control..here in WI and im glad i do

Dont mind having the option, but i wish it would be turned off by default when you start the car

Dont mind having the option, but i wish it would be turned off by default when you start the car

yeah that would be so smart, except for all the people that would wreck them out every time they drive in poor conditions. safety features should always be defaulted to on. I know the last thing I would want is my wife driving the car in snow and forgetting to turn the traction control on...

See that's what I thought as well. So I turned off the advance trac. Still did it.

I don't the advance trac comes into play in this situation at all. Both wheels lose traction momentarily, and then get it back. They just spin for a fraction of a second.

I never thought of it that way. My only thing is. The roads were just wet. Not enough snow for really any of it to stick to the roads.

In my case it is not a traction related issue. I've driven this car in the snow for 11 years all of it on the same brand snow tires (never over 3 seasons old), and the problem just started last winter. In my case is just slightly annoying as the bucking is very mild. I also do not have TC or advantrac.

I don't the advance trac comes into play in this situation at all. Both wheels lose traction momentarily, and then get it back. They just spin for a fraction of a second.

I never thought of it that way. My only thing is. The roads were just wet. Not enough snow for really any of it to stick to the roads.

wet roads equal less traction...

does this happen when you have snow tires on? or do you not have snow tires?

if you have all seasons you can add that to the fact that snow only exist in much lower temperatures than normal rain...

the compound that all season tire use, is really not the best for cold temperatures. the rubber gets much harder and has less ability to maintain traction than it would with a winter/snow tire, their compound is much more suited for those kind of temperatures.

Both wheels lose traction momentarily, and then get it back. They just spin for a fraction of a second.

this is why I'm wondering, perhaps that buck you feel is the tire grabbing back?

but why do they call them "all season tires" if you can't have them in the winter? well thats because they need to be differentiated from summer tires which are absolutely dangerous in temps closer but still above freezing and while an all season isn't the best option, it can still be used in all four seasons of the year. especially if winters are not really that bad in your area.

All seasons. Not snow tires. With the code that I got. I'm thinking its a miss causing it.

Remember the cold(er) weather brings out problems that were hidden before. Went from no codes on mine (in Miami) to a cold start (in Tallahassee ~ 32*) that threw six codes - misfire, o2, catalyst, etc.

All - Sorry for the lack of presence. I can assure you it is not the rear wheels loosing traction and it is not the ignition coil problem. It is ONLY when it's snowing and it is one or two firm bucks like the engine lost all power. It isn't the little jerking you get with a coil or two shorting. At no other times does it do anything but run great. It's been flawless for months and the first sight of snow, it shows up. Did it yesterday in the snow on my way home from work but this morning, no snow in the air and no problem. It is all bone stock from air filter to oil pan.

No engine codes, no other sympthoms.

Sounds like my issue as well. But I'm going to try and change my coils. And also gut my cats. Pretty sure the cold weather busted the passenger side one. Which I think could possibly be causing my issue.

Members online

Back