'00 Continental Exhaust pipe diameter?

Septimus

LVC Member
Reaction score
I plan on doing an exhaust system revamp on my Continental, but I can't seem to find the pipe diameter anywhere. I would go and measure them, but I don't have measuring tape with me right now. I know the rear muffler outputs are 2.25", but I suspect the actual line is larger (2.50"?) I'm gonna be ordering some Y and X pipes, so I need the diameter of the flex pipe outlet before the converter. Was wondering if anyone knew this offhand so I can get some parts ordered.

Thanks.

I already bought the 2.25" pipe thankfully. I ended up looking up an original cat replacement and went off the diameter on that. It was confusing due to the pipe size fluctuation at the rear section. I plan on maybe having the welding done this week; still a bit nervous about the volume of the new pipes.

That's awful! Is it that small from the Y-pipe back, or does it get any larger before the split in the rear?

I eyeballed a horsepower/exhaust diameter chart and it says a single 2.25 in pipe can support 180 horsepower. Stuffing the stock horsepower through that is a miracle; good luck making much more through the stock setup.

As much as I've resisted, it looks like exhaust will be on my list for future mods so the car can make the power it is capable of. I would even consider a true-dual 2.25 connecting to the stock mufflers as one way of getting more flow with no extra noise. The "single muffler in the center of the car" approach is interesting as well.

That's awful! Is it that small from the Y-pipe back, or does it get any larger before the split in the rear?

I eyeballed a horsepower/exhaust diameter chart and it says a single 2.25 in pipe can support 180 horsepower. Stuffing the stock horsepower through that is a miracle; good luck making much more through the stock setup.

As much as I've resisted, it looks like exhaust will be on my list for future mods so the car can make the power it is capable of. I would even consider a true-dual 2.25 connecting to the stock mufflers as one way of getting more flow with no extra noise. The "single muffler in the center of the car" approach is interesting as well.
As far as I can tell, it's 2.25" from the first flex pipe to the Y pipe where it seems like it shrinks to 2.0" before the mufflers. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this, I'm just spouting from memory of rushed measurements before hurriedly returning to work.

This doesn't make sense from an efficiency approach, although design-wise, it does a very good job of reducing cabin noise. Three cats on the line, restrictive piping, plus quiet flow mufflers...seems like they've done everything they can aside from an additional foot of pipe bends to hush the line. It makes sense to turn down the volume for the cruise factor, but it seems very absurdly done. If I hadn't already removed the silencer box from the front, I could probably compare the engine/exhaust note to my old hand me down 4 cylinder Stratus from my high school days. It's a very quiet car with a very big engine...which doesn't make sense. Unleash the beast and let it breathe I say!

I don't take long trips, so I'm not terribly concerned with droning. I can either go with the (Y pipe - X pipe - dual 10415 Magnaflows - Y pipe and beyond) approach or the (Y pipe - X pipe - dual 10415 Magnaflows - 45 degree bent pipes routed in front of rear tires) which from my understanding will not cause excessive droning. The car seems very well insulated from noise as well; my dual 12" sub setup in the back hardly bleeds through to the outside. My plan originally intended to go with the latter setup, but I'm concerned about finding plugs for the rear bumper exhaust ports and about disturbed townsfolk. For that reason, I may go with the quieter former setup utilizing the rear ports.

I was able to confirm from the Y pipe split to the rear mufflers the line is in fact two inches. After visiting the shop today, it seems my original plans are no longer valid. I was finally able to get a good look at the underside and found there's hardly any room for upgrades...barely enough in the center section even for a single 10415. Unless you know someone who does exhaust work (or can do it yourself), there's no legal way of setting it up for duals either...and even then your pipes may scrape the road if a good bump comes along. Looks like I'm stuck with simply replacing the mufflers and tips.

Don't get discouraged yet, there is a member on here who did do a true dual on his Conti. I don't think you have to look to far back and you will find the post. I installed a single Magnaflow 10415 in my Conti and I had chrome tips out the back and I couldn't stand the noise inside the car. I replaced the 14 inch Magnaflow for a 18 inch and it didn't fix it. I ended up replacing the chrome tips with some resonator tips and it took away the inside noise so I have been going back and forth with myself on re-installing the 14' 10415 Magnaflow.

I was going off the plans of ground_zero298, who suggested three separate setups for continental exhaust in this post. I intended to set something up along those lines, but after looking at the underside of mine, I'm stumped on how he did it. There's simply not enough room for it. My guess is either his year(s) had a lot more space underneath, or he did some masterful cutting and welding; neither of which is an option for me. Unless I can get in contact with him and see exactly how he managed it, I have to put those plans on hold for now.

Members online

No members online now.
Back