Want to change up the interior

L_King

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I don't know about any of you but I really don't care for the wood trim on the interior of our LSs. I have been looking at dash kits and all thatr but I think I may have come up with a reasonably priced solution and a good looking one at that. There is a vinyl made my 3M called Di-noc, and I am sure some of you are familiar with it but I wanted to see if anyone has a chance to work with it. I want to see how hard it is going to be to wrap my interior trim in it. All the videos and people I have talked to say it is sumer easy but I don't always buy that.

Also I have not taken the interior apart other than popping off door panels. How hard is it to get the wood grain trim off on the dash and doors? If I like it and it looks good I might do the center section where the head unit and HVAC is..

Anyway here is what I am talking about and I would be doing the brushed aluminum not the carbon fiber or wood obviously.

3M DI-NOC Car Interior Installation - YouTube

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=3m+d...&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:17,s:0&biw=1279&bih=602

Thoughts?

The inserts are fairly easy to take off the door panels. Adter watching that youtube video I can tell you she's installed alot of those, and I bet it's difficult to install without removing the pieces. If you take the inserts out it should be easier because you won't have to worry about getting the promoter where you don't want it.

I tried the carbon fibre vynol wrap and it is quite difficult to use, a hair drier does help relax the vinyl though. the dash pieces just pop of ig you get a flat blade scredriver or like a plastic pry tool. The doors you have to remove the door and then grind down the melted part of the plastic so it will come off the panel

best bet to do any type of drastic change is definitely hydromersion..

http://www.vcfinishes.com/

take the pieces out, send it to them and get them back looking factory,,prices depend on how much your having dipped so calling them would be the best bet.

Just my 2cents it's kinda of cheap looking and not to sure how quality it will be after year...seems dull finish as well..

If I do a wrap like this or the me quires wraptivo I would remove all the trim for sure just wanted a little input on what it might look like... Maybe I will photoshop it..:)

like I said the hydrographics are the way to go...its what Im doing, after seeing the end result on numerous products I was sold on the outcome.

I never understood this.

To me the wood trim is part of what makes the car stand out among others.

I hate seeing tons of cheap bland loooking plastic on the inside...the wood dresses it up.

I see a ton of cars low and high end using wood to "class" up the interior and I think it looks out dated and cheap. I think an aluminum look would look classy and sporty. I just think the wood in our cars looks cheap.

The hydro stuff looks good but is pricy and requires more down time allowed to doing for example 2 doors one day / another and the dash the next instead of weeks of shipping and waiting. I'm going to give this di noc a try. I know a lot of motorcycle guys who have had good luck with it.

i actually got some alcantara( may be miss spelled ha) like material and had an upholstery shop and had them wrap all pieces from dash and doors and piece around seat warmers/ash tray...it really gave a sport sedan look/feel.

do you have a pic of that sounds like it would be real nice

I see a ton of cars low and high end using wood to "class" up the interior and I think it looks out dated and cheap. I think an aluminum look would look classy and sporty. I just think the wood in our cars looks cheap.

The hydro stuff looks good but is pricy and requires more down time allowed to doing for example 2 doors one day / another and the dash the next instead of weeks of shipping and waiting. I'm going to give this di noc a try. I know a lot of motorcycle guys who have had good luck with it.

Yeah but a lot of them fail to look decent. And you have a gen I??? The gen II wood looks much better.

That may be true blackls06 but I can never find that new of a car at the yards and i kind of got the idea for silver dash trim from the gen 2s. I will start with a small piece from a scrap car or something and see how it looks before doing it all or ordering a ton.

I have the area by the ignition wrapped in carbon fibre to see how it looked. Di-NOC vinyls is amazingly easy to use and looks great. I plan on doing my Gen1 in a blackwood. It is the best vinyl product to use right now. I applied the one area in 5 minutes with no hair dryer or promoter. You will not be disappointed with Di-NOC. Don't NOC it until you try it.

Dan Ro got any pics. Have you found this black wood because thayt would be perfect!!

I am attempting at getting it from here. http://idsfinishes.com/index.html
Online Gallery link http://idsfinishes.com/gallery/
I wanna get some samples but their Online Store is "closed for maintenance"
I am looking at using FW-324

IMG_20110918_132611.jpg

IMG_20110918_132636.jpg

dan ro, I used 3-M stuff it looks just like that looked awesome but after it started getting hot out it started to bubble, now it looks not good. I may re-do it

dan ro, I used 3-M stuff it looks just like that looked awesome but after it started getting hot out it started to bubble, now it looks not good. I may re-do it

I have used other 3M vinyls but nothing compares to 3M's Di-NOC. That has been on the car for almost a year. This summer we had weeks of humid 95-100 degree weather. Windows were closed and it hasn't phased the Di-NOC.

I like your idea for the black wood I would love to see it on the car among the rest of the interior. When do you plan on doing it. I just am a little fearful the brushed aluminum might be to light among the light grey interior.

I have used other 3M vinyls but nothing compares to 3M's Di-NOC. That has been on the car for almost a year. This summer we had weeks of humid 95-100 degree weather. Windows were closed and it hasn't phased the Di-NOC.

is that something I can pick up at an autozone type store or do I special order it. Hmmm maybe summit has it, I may go there this week end.

heres some of the stuff I did with the regular 3-M, looked so awesome for about the first month but the summer killed it.

206553_1925941117573_1513502348_2043919_5579471_n.jpg

208756_1922947362731_1513502348_2037467_6685134_n.jpg

206702_1925941317578_1513502348_2043920_6037078_n.jpg

208014_1932334477403_1513502348_2053148_4064167_n.jpg

Yeah it looks all silvery on the back, I'll have to give that Di-Noc stuff a try. I liked the way it looked a lot so I want to keep it I just want it to look nice.

I'm not a fan of the wood trim either. It reminds me of something my grandfather would like. I looked at a few Gen2's before I bought mine and the wood inserts just seemed like someone's afterthought. I enjoy the look the silver cross-hatch pieces give the interior more. I might like them better as brushed metal finish though. Haven't really thought that hard about it.

Now a real leather interior, not just the seats? That would be awesome!

Members online

Back