Sorry to start a new thread, a couple quick questions

warrior2008

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I haven't owned a Lincoln before, but a 2000 LS caught my eye recently. The body's in great condition, and is fully loaded.

Here's the problem: The engine is kaput. Basically the previous owner didn't realize that the engine would seize up if the car had no, that's right, no oil. So it needs replacement.

Here's my questions:

1) I've worked on cars as a hobby most of my life but never actually met someone that's seized up their engine from driving without any oil in the car. All night I've been trying to research what I can expect as far as non-engine related damage. But no luck. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what other problems I might encounter if I go about buying the car and replacing the engine.

2) Since this forum knows the ls engines pretty well, what can I ballpark as an estimate for a replacement. I've seen anywhere from 800-2000 for the engine alone (I have a friend that knows more than me and will help me drop it in). I want something reliable and that will last me some years.

3) Well just for kicks how much would you spend on the car. Like I said I really liked it when I saw it, only 100,000 miles before engine failure. She wants 2 grand, but I can't really see myself going over $500. Not that I don't think it's worth it, but even if I can get the engine fully replaced for around $2000 I don't want to be running into problems with the car for the next five years due to the damage.

Thanks!!!

If the previous owner neglected to change the oil, I doubt he/she would have checked under the car. Don't be surprised if you have to replace the brake pads and rotors, brake lines, lower ball joints, upper control arms, sway bar links and steering links (tie rod ends) The coolant reservoir (degas bottle) may be bad as well. If you do decide to get the car and do the engine swap, invest in a good copy of the workshop manuals. It will walk you through the process step by step. There are too many small connections to dive in blind. I just finished a engine swap on a 2002 that I got for $600. I then replaced a lot of the parts that I mentioned above. Including the cost for the time on the lift and registration, I ended up paying around $3000 for a solid running LS.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=75647&highlight=engine+swap

Unless you have way too much time on your hands and/or want to part it out. I would not pay $200.

Sounds like total junk. If you have $2000 to dump in it, plus the $500 to pay for it. Then save another couple grand and get a gen2 that isn't trash.

Orrrr you could simply put the an chevy LSx motor like pink nuts. Why put a factory motor back in?

Orrrr you could simply put the an chevy LSx motor like pink nuts. Why put a factory motor back in?

especially if you can talk her down to 500 bucks , then you have plenty of room for improvement. or you could try the 5.0 swap alot of people have talked about, if you d buy and pull the motor. Measure the space in the engine bay so you know the biggest dimension motor you could possibly drop in.

plus you could pick up the old 5.0 pretty cheap

Why put a factory motor back in?

So the A/C, heat, windows, radio, gauges, airbags, basically anything electronic would function.

I would also suspect the transmission was neglected. As Andrizzle said; pass on this one and get an '03-'06. The 500 improvements are worth it!

if the prev onwer didn't know about oil, then there is most likely a lot more wrong with the car

because a factory motor goes right in and everything works, putting in ANY other motor, any your going to be dumping a lot of time and money to figure out how to get a lot of stuff working properly again

if the prev onwer didn't know about oil, then there is most likely a lot more wrong with the car

because a factory motor goes right in and everything works, putting in ANY other motor, any your going to be dumping a lot of time and money to figure out how to get a lot of stuff working properly again

cant be afraid of doing a little extra work, and its a car so no engine will drop in with out problems, and if he is not buying a new engine he could just poor money into that engine. Either way it could be expensive and who knows what else already doesnt work

I say pass the gen 2's are pretty cheap now you can pick up an 04 ls cheap!

there is a huge difference in price between swapping out the correct motor, and replacing the entire drivetrain, custom fabrication will increase the price exponentially.

a little extra work is one thing, but a complete drivetrain swap is no where near a little extra work, your probably talking 3 to 4 times as much money easily. a straight motor swap could be done in a weekend or so, where as pinknuts car has probably spent months in the shop getting done what was done. (which last i heard, he was still working on rigging up the heater to work right)

its probably why we have only seen two LS's with completely different motors.

now if you have fists full of dollars and want to go apesh!t on it, then yes, by all means go for it, however if looking for a cheap car is the goal, then that puts any other motor out of the options

there is a huge difference in price between swapping out the correct motor, and replacing the entire drivetrain, custom fabrication will increase the price exponentially.

a little extra work is one thing, but a complete drivetrain swap is no where near a little extra work, your probably talking 3 to 4 times as much money easily. a straight motor swap could be done in a weekend or so, where as pinknuts car has probably spent months in the shop getting done what was done. (which last i heard, he was still working on rigging up the heater to work right)

its probably why we have only seen two LS's with completely different motors.

now if you have fists full of dollars and want to go apesh!t on it, then yes, by all means go for it, however if looking for a cheap car is the goal, then that puts any other motor out of the options

And in The People's Rebublik of Kahleefornya a swap of ANYTHING other than a factory motor will result in an off-road use only vehicle. It CAN NOT be registered for on-road use. If it wasn't available from the factory, it doesn't go in the engine bay. Were pinknuts to come to CA he wouldn't be able to register that LS.

And in The People's Rebublik of Kahleefornya a swap of ANYTHING other than a factory motor will result in an off-road use only vehicle. It CAN NOT be registered for on-road use. If it wasn't available from the factory, it doesn't go in the engine bay. Were pinknuts to come to CA he wouldn't be able to register that LS.

from anything I've ever heard as long as the engine is of the same age or newer it can be used as long as it meets the standards of the year car it is being swapped into.

I read a huge article about this not long ago so unless it changed yesterday...

and an egine swap doesnt have to be expensive, you can buy used parts and do just fine it doesnt have to be a brand new engine and tranny. Besides you could pick them up together and just need a custom drifshaft, and motor mounts, and tranny mount as far as mounting. then its the small stuff that would take some determination.

If I had an enginless car and another I could daily, I would deffinaltey take on the project

from anything I've ever heard as long as the engine is of the same age or newer it can be used as long as it meets the standards of the year car it is being swapped into.

A quick call to a CHP office will clear this up, but I have gotten the same info.

If I had an enginless car and another I could daily, I would deffinaltey take on the project

+1 Amen brother!

No more than 500 you can get a ls engine with 1 year warranty on the engine for around 600 but if she didn't know it needed oil then the other stuff may have also been neglected.

Members online

Back