How much would a Lincoln dealership charge to change the VCG?

DrewSG

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
The coils just started failing pretty badly on my car to the point it's not driveable anymore

Mine is a 2003 LS V8

Dealership charges an arm and a leg!!! From what i understand if you drive it long enough if with bad coils you can ruin the cats as well.

A: how many miles are on the car, if under 100K, then a dealer will fix it for you for the price of on the house

B: if he has been driving it for awhile with a miss and it has just now got to the point where it is undriveable, the cats are probably already toast

120K miles, and I'm assuming the cats are toast, I live in Florida, so I won't be buying new ones if the ones on the car are bad

I'm trying to figure out if this is something I can do by myself, or if I need to take it to the dealership to do

get yourself a set of ebay coils they go for about 120 bucks for the set of 8....and you can get the cats on ebay 2.

120K miles, and I'm assuming the cats are toast, I live in Florida, so I won't be buying new ones if the ones on the car are bad

I'm trying to figure out if this is something I can do by myself, or if I need to take it to the dealership to do

You can get highflow universal cats for cheap actually.

How much will a dealership charge to do valve covers? Too much. If you call them they can look up the procedure and give you a quote site unseen. That is how they operate.

Personally, I'd just take it to an independent garage if you don't want to do it yourself. Chances are it will be less.

I did the valve cover gaskets (and spark plugs, coils were good so they can wait lol) yesterday. Pretty easy (barely any mechanic experience). Long process though. Followed the tech articles here and had a pretty easy time :).

100_0563.jpg

(Trash bag over Intake Manifold, didn't want crap falling in)

I believe the cost of a valve cover gasket job is roughly:
- coils ar $100 each from the dealer = $800
- gaskets = $150
- misc (plugs, ...+) = $150
- labour = $400 (I think it's 5 hrs @ $80/hr)
= $1500

or you can do it yourself:
- coils $45 each = $360
- gaskets = $70
- misc (plugs, ...) = $70
= $500 + beer

if you buy $1000 in beer, you might need a whole new car after all the drunk a$$es are done breaking sh!t off of it. lol

if you buy $1000 in beer, you might need a whole new car after all the drunk a$$es are done breaking sh!t off of it. lol

I happen to do some of my most creative work while drunk! :D

I believe the cost of a valve cover gasket job is roughly:
- coils ar $100 each from the dealer = $800
- gaskets = $150
- misc (plugs, ...+) = $150
- labour = $400 (I think it's 5 hrs @ $80/hr)
= $1500

or you can do it yourself:
- coils $45 each = $360
- gaskets = $70
- misc (plugs, ...) = $70
= $500 + beer

Do I need to replace all the coils, how do I check which ones are bad?

Do I need to replace all the coils, how do I check which ones are bad?

No you do not need to replace all the coils. Yes you probably should just replace them all. And you check them by having a bench test done at a dealer. If you take the coils to them they can test 'em and save you some cash.

What about the Valve cover gaskets? How do I know I need to replace them?

this is the easiest to figure out, if your VGC's are leaking and letting oil into your spark plug wells, then they need to be replaced

Members online

Back