Search tip

Marcus

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
While some of you regulars give new people a hard time when they don't search, the fact of the matter is, this forum software's search functionality sucks ass. For example it doesn't index numbers or anything under four characters in length. So searching for '764' or 'IAC' returns NOTHING.

It also doesn't work worth a damn with multiple words. Searching for 'blend door' will give you every single post that contains the word 'door', not just those that contain 'blend door'. That's because it treats every word you enter as a separate search (it separates them with a a boolean 'OR" for those who know search terminology).

In case you aren't aware, Google has functionality to search a specific web site. Go to Google and enter your search words, then add a space and type "site:lincolnvscadillac.com" (no quotes). Here's a link you can bookmark:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=something+site:lincolnvscadillac.com

Just substitute the word "something" with whatever you want to search for. I have it set up on my Firefox bookmarks toolbar for one click search.

It will allow you to do a proper search that isn't possible with this PoS forum software. You can do a search on an exact phrase by enclosing in quotes. Or filter results by preceding an unwanted word with a minus sign.

The only disadvantages are:

Doesn't sort by date posted. It's sorted by whatever Google determines to be the most "relevant", whatever the hell that is..
Can't filter by forum. It will only find results from the entire site.
It sometimes returns hidden "archived" forum pages, which are duplicates of "live" pages.

Good tip.

And you are very correct about the search functions within this forum. Very hit and miss. A lot of the searches I tried on here turned up no results or spotty results, even with obvious keywords you know for a fact are there.

while some of you regulars give new people a hard time when they don't search, the fact of the matter is, this forum software's search functionality sucks ass. For example it doesn't index numbers or anything under four characters in length. So searching for '764' or 'iac' returns nothing.

It also doesn't work worth a damn with multiple words. Searching for 'blend door' will give you every single post that contains the word 'door', not just those that contain 'blend door'. That's because it treats every word you enter as a separate search (it separates them with a a boolean 'or" for those who know search terminology).

In case you aren't aware, google has functionality to search a specific web site. Go to google and enter your search words, then add a space and type "site:lincolnvscadillac.com" (no quotes). Here's a link you can bookmark:

just substitute the word "something" with whatever you want to search for. I have it set up on my firefox bookmarks toolbar for one click search.

It will allow you to do a proper search that isn't possible with this pos forum software. You can do a search on an exact phrase by enclosing in quotes. Or filter results by preceding an unwanted word with a minus sign.

Doesn't sort by date posted. It's sorted by whatever google determines to be the most "relevant", whatever the hell that is..
It sometimes returns hidden "archived" forum pages, which are duplicates of "live" pages.

+1

while some of you regulars give new people a hard time when they don't search, the fact of the matter is, this forum software's search functionality sucks ass. For example it doesn't index numbers or anything under four characters in length. So searching for '764' or 'iac' returns nothing.

It also doesn't work worth a damn with multiple words. Searching for 'blend door' will give you every single post that contains the word 'door', not just those that contain 'blend door'. That's because it treats every word you enter as a separate search (it separates them with a a boolean 'or" for those who know search terminology).

In case you aren't aware, google has functionality to search a specific web site. Go to google and enter your search words, then add a space and type "site:lincolnvscadillac.com" (no quotes). Here's a link you can bookmark:

just substitute the word "something" with whatever you want to search for. I have it set up on my firefox bookmarks toolbar for one click search.

It will allow you to do a proper search that isn't possible with this pos forum software. You can do a search on an exact phrase by enclosing in quotes. Or filter results by preceding an unwanted word with a minus sign.

Doesn't sort by date posted. It's sorted by whatever google determines to be the most "relevant", whatever the hell that is..

+100

Sticky this

Nah, no need. This was already mentioned on here 6 years ago, near the end of a 5 page post about the modifications someone was working on their Humvee.

Everyone who was in the first grade back then already knows this and all the new first graders can go to the library.

:D:D:D

Members online

No members online now.
Back