02 ipod integration

oddball

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Just some quick tips. I have an '02 with the in-dash 6 disk changer. As is common, the charger is busted - just says "Error" or "CD Error" when trying to load, eject or change any CDs. Bought it that way, hope the previous owners didn't lose any in there!

This radio has the 16 and 20 pin connectors, 20 pin is black/red. There is an additional connector - ~8 pins?

Used the PIE FRDN/PC-POD2 kit, procured from Logjam (http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrdnpcpod2.html) along with the CC-iPD adapter so it'll charge my nano.
It was a small leap of faith whether or not it would work considering the internal CD changer. Well, for *my* radio, it does! YMMV.
Steering wheel controls work, sounds great, keeps ipod charged. Couldn't ask for more!
Sorry, no pics of back of radio, and didn't think to write down the part number.

Hints:
1) Cut off connectors, added extensions to the power and ground leads and tied them into the cig lighter. Having miscellaneous small wiring parts on hand is a huge bonus. Did not pull out the soldering iron for this one.

2) Mounted the box onto the tube cross member behind the glove box. Put some door self-adhesive weatherstrip foam on the bottom of the box and zip-tied it in place. Good enough!

3) The 20pin pass through connectors weren't quite the right size. Initial install resulted in lots of problems (steering wheel controls didn't work, turn off when door opened didn't work, ipod box wacky, etc). Fixed with small dabs of hot glue to hold the original connector into the pass-through and the new connector into the radio. Hopefully small enough dabs that I can remove them if needed!

4) While you're in there, replace the foam on the a/c vent tubes. Keep air in the passenger compartment, not behind the dash. I used the same door weatherstrip.

Ooopses:
1) I routed the ipod cable up through the bottom of the console compartment. There's very little clearance between it and the rear seat a/c vents. I figured that out later. Would recommend routing cable through front of compartment. Note that there's barely enough room in there for connector+charging adapter+ipod. Also haven't found an appropriate sized grommet (between 1/2" and 3/8") so the hole is pretty ugly. But it works!

Totally awesome pics in this thread for mounting through the cig lighter trim panel.

Fun facts:
Upper console was squeaking against lower console quite a lot. The old felt was looking pretty bad and was pretty sparse. Cut up an old t-shirt and hot-glued in place around areas where the consoles clipped together and a few others along the edges for good measure. Squeaks are gone!

Difficulty: pay attention and take your time = easy
Benefit: Way Awesome

Initial install resulted in lots of problems (steering wheel controls didn't work, turn off when door opened didn't work, ipod box wacky, etc). Fixed with small dabs of hot glue to hold the original connector into the pass-through and the new connector into the radio

So it does work or no?

So it does work or no?

Works perfectly. Just had to give some encouragement to the pass-through connectors to keep them together. Also noted that the 20 pin connector on the radio has lots of flex. If it's not lined up just right there are various audio problems. Again, the right glue in the right place does wonders.

iPod Integration Gen1

Hi Oddball,

Good write-up. My questions is, what happens when the 6-disc changer is working normally ? In that case would it work if the 6-disc changer is emptied of all discs ? I have an 01 V6 with the integrated changer in working order, but I would also like to integrate an iPod/iPhone.

The in-dash changer still works just fine. Hitting 'cd' once goes to the internal disks. Hitting it twice goes to the "external DJ" - aka ipod.
If you have an external disc changer, then the integration kit takes the place of the changer. It's still wired in, but the controls for it are intercepted by the ipod controller.

I updated to the 5v kit a couple of weeks ago and gave the prior one to my buddy with a '99 towncar that donated a few dozen hours of his time to help me with various LS projects. The 20 pin connectors in the new kit fit *much* better. Also, the CC-iPD was real flaky with my 5th gen nano. That version wasn't supported by the adapter, so no surprise.
Can't recommend logjam very much. They're very helpful when making a sell. Not helpful at all on support.

The in-dash changer still works just fine. Hitting 'cd' once goes to the internal disks. Hitting it twice goes to the "external DJ" - aka ipod.
If you have an external disc changer, then the integration kit takes the place of the changer. It's still wired in, but the controls for it are intercepted by the ipod controller.

I updated to the 5v kit a couple of weeks ago and gave the prior one to my buddy with a '99 towncar that donated a few dozen hours of his time to help me with various LS projects. The 20 pin connectors in the new kit fit *much* better. Also, the CC-iPD was real flaky with my 5th gen nano. That version wasn't supported by the adapter, so no surprise.
Can't recommend logjam very much. They're very helpful when making a sell. Not helpful at all on support.

would this work with an 04 ls also?what kit did you use?would like to set up an ipod hookup on my 04 ls v6 that has the 6 disc cd changer

Most kits charge iPods using the Firewire interface. Fun thing is that starting around '08, Apple stopped supporting Firewire charging on some models. That's why you get the "this ipod cannot be charged with this accessory" message. 5v is the USB charging, which all models (at least since '05) support.
It's just a different cable that runs from the box to the ipod. The 5v kit cable has a bulge with a small circuit board that does some USB hand-waving and voltage regulation.

would this work with an 04 ls also?what kit did you use?would like to set up an ipod hookup on my 04 ls v6 that has the 6 disc cd changer

Maybe. Check the websites that are selling them, send their sales guys some questions. They're pretty good at attempting to tell you what works with what. There were a lot of radios from Ford during this time, so it can be hit and miss. Lots of retailers sell these things, so hunt around.

iPod Integration Gen1

For what it's worth I installed the FRDN/C-POD2 iPod interface from PIE in my 2001 LS V6 today. My car has the stock head unit with the 6disc built in changer and the alpine amplifier/speakers.
This is the latest version of the PIE kit that now supports USB charging of the latest generation iPod/iPhones. The kit worked perfectly and the connectors fit very well. Hit the CD button one time and it selects the built-in CD changer. Press it a second time and now it selects the new iPod input. Track +/- and ffw/rev buttons on the radio head unit control the iPod and the display shows track time.

I installed the small electronics interface box on the passenger's side of the transmssion tunnel under the carpet and cable tied it to a wiring harness carrier to stop it from moving around/rattling - in this area there is quite a lot of space under the molded carpet and it is not at all noticeable with the carpet back in place. I spliced the power and ground leads into the cigarette lighter feed to give the interface box a permanent 12V power supply.

I routed the iPod connection cable through at the upper right corner of the plastic wood trim piece that covers the ashtray/heated seat switches - I trimmed a small amount of the plastic out of the corner - just enough to allow the cable to snug through in the corner, so it looks neat.

I had an existing bracket and holder for the iPhone already installed previously which comes out at an nice viewing angle on the right side of the radio head unit (this bracket started life a holder for an old Motorola flip phone back in the day). So, the iPhone 30 pin connector plugs right in from below.

Looks decent and works well.

DSCN1426.jpg

Stan,
Looks good! Easier to get to than my hiding spot in the console. :)
Didn't think there was enough cable for the box to reach the spot you put it in. Good deal. The tie-wrap to the cross beam approach works, but it's a bear to get to.

Looks really good and clean. I have an Alpine iPod deck installed, but I went with the more work intensive center console installation. First pic is my iPhone install and the second is of my deck. Since the iPhone charger was installed I have taken out the one for my 3GS phone and installed a new one for an iPhone 4.

IMAG0034.jpg

Alpine Double din 2.jpg

Alpine Double din 3.jpg

Hi Oddball,

Thanks for feedback! Just to clarify - my PIE interface box is cable tied to a wiring harness that passes along the side of the transmission tunnel under the carpet in the passenger's side footwell. The way the molded carpet lies in this area, it leaves a lot of "hollow" space for little components like this. If I need to get to it, all I have to do is pull back the carpet where it tucks underneath the center console molding.
Also, the 30pin iPod cable that they sent me was REALLY long - I have a bunch of extra length of this cable bundled up and cable tied to the inteface box as well.
For me the biggest challenge was getting the new wiring harness/connector piece to package neatly behind the radio head unit, so that I could push it all the way back in, but I finally got it done after a few tries.

One thing I did notice with my radio - the radio display shows elapsed time, but this seems to be somewhat indepndent of the elapsed time info on the ipod itself. In fact, if I pause the iPod, the elapsed time on the radio head unit continues to run......! Other than that, I'm quite happy with the end result.

Ditto on the harness behind the head unit. Lots of wires in small space.
To anyone looking to do this: be careful when reinstalling the head. I had music playing while doing it so I'd know if a connector got knocked loose before buttoning it up. Because the first few times one did get loose and I didn't find out until a fair bit later.
The ipod cable is around 3 or 4 feet, IIRC.

Elapsed time on the head unit is total crap. Sometimes it doesn't know about track changes, sometimes it does.
I still have the problem of skip forward is sometimes translated as a skip backward or it thinks I'm holding the button down. Only does it once per drive cycle....

Members online

No members online now.
Back