LVCers.. I humbly need your advice

I don't think I have seen them as cheap though.

there is far more to consider that "saving a dollar".

If the stock coils lasted for (insert your mileage here)
And the Accels only last for 50K.. how much money have you saved?

on my 98 car, at 196,000 miles the stock coils are still perfect.
that is roughly 4 times the service life of an aftermarket coil.

SO unless they are 4 times cheaper, your not saving any money.

If price is your only concern, then I really should bow out of this conversation.

the best tuners in the industry plainly state.. there is NO benifit to these aftermarket coils.

you have to understand how these coils work though.

The stock coil has two modes of operation
Cranking Spark which is much higher than Running Spark.
Cranking spark NEEDS to be higher due to the stone cold combustion chamber.
Running spark doenst need this boost due to cylinder temp which helps keep the fuel atomized.

The aftermarket nitwits just put the coils in "bridge mode" which means they are firing at "cranking spark" ALL THE TIME.

this does 3 things

adds more spark than is needed to properly ignite the fuel mixture.
more spark does not mean more power

it also increases the "dwell" time of the coil, because the coils have to recharge to the higher voltage before firing.. increased dwell time is not benifitial because it in effect is "retarding" your timing, due to the additional dwell time.

it also wears out the aftermarket coil FASTER, which is why they dont last as long.

When people that know more about cars than I say.. "dont use them, they suck".. "I" am not to smart to listen to them.

Are you?

I don't think I have seen them as cheap though. If you know where I can get stockers cheaper, let me know as I will be replacing mine soon.

a coil is a coil, unless it's failed.. there's no reason to replace it.

If you have 2 bad coils, then your not doing yourself any favors by replaceing ALL 8 with Accel coils.

I would only replace those that show up misfiring, if they aren't misfiring.. they aren't bad.

Hell even missfiring sometimes isn't the coils fault.. because many times missfires are caused by oil in the plug wells, grounding out the spark plug

An aftermarket coil wont solve that issue..

Man issues never stop.

I just noticed this past weekend the car still misfires.

Driving it smoothly at regular speed it is fine. Even at idle. It's when you're cruising along and gas it a bit, right when it shifts down to pick up speed she sputters. Other than that all is fine.

any ideas? No check engine light either.

Aaasrrgghh. Frustrating.

Thanks.

Man issues never stop.

I just noticed this past weekend the car still misfires.
any ideas?

Thanks.

I must say they were flooded with oil.

ideas??

yea.. you need to fix the oil leaks in the valve covers...
they were flooded with oil..dontcha think that might be a contributing factor to our ongoing issue?

Issues "WILL STOP" when you address them, seriously..it aint gonna fix itself, nor get better.

Probably wouldn't hurt to replace the plugs either.

For future ref on the mark 8...
v/c gaskets LVC 15.59 ea
s/plug seals 3.90 ea
coils 46.57 ea
boots 15.59 ea

Max

Could Possibly be the Mass air Flow sensor now. you said it breaks up at high rpms and before you shift and you replaced the coils and plugs definately need to fix the spark plug wells tho. i recommend taking valve cover s off and using weather strip seal around new valve cover gaskets and spark plug wells it seats them so they dont move after application. And grab some mass air flow sensor cleaner and un plug mass airflow sensor from your intake tube and spray cleaner on the wires in the sensor and let it dry and re install it

Thanks for reviving the post.

Based on other peoples similas issues it I think it's a bad coil pack.

I havnt troubleshooter her yet since she's been parked ever since.

Will update soon. My wifes car just got stolen and the mark is needed.

In all I will consider all you've inputed. Thanks.

a coil is a coil, unless it's failed.. there's no reason to replace it.

If you have 2 bad coils, then your not doing yourself any favors by replaceing ALL 8 with Accel coils.

I would only replace those that show up misfiring, if they aren't misfiring.. they aren't bad.

Hell even missfiring sometimes isn't the coils fault.. because many times missfires are caused by oil in the plug wells, grounding out the spark plug

An aftermarket coil wont solve that issue..

Shiat !!!!!!

Guess what I just found ... Might just be the cause of my misfire, I dont have it anymore since I went to the Bosch plat 4's but might have been the cause and I did see oil on the new Autolite Plug!!!!

Just how much of a biatch is this going to be to remove the covers and replace the gaskets?
Thanks
Bill

I myself have wondered the same,

from what i gathered from reading on the boards, it's not hard.. or fun.

I'm restricted to only one car at the time, therefore will need to take it in to the shop to have someone do it in one day's time.

good luck.

the passenger side VC is not so bad, but you need to remove the master cylinder on the driver side and it is helpful to drop the engine by unbolting the motor mounts-not a fun job generally, but just time consuming.

You don't necessarily need to remove the MC, just unbolt it and move it out of the way.

It would be hard to make a VC gasket project last longer than a day..

While you're replacing gaskets, you may consider doing the intake manifold gasket and cleaning the imrcs by hand, can't get them very clean with seafoam on a gen1 unfortunatly
and I still recommend swapping out those plugs for some motorcraft plugs, use the ones alldata recommends

Members online

No members online now.
Back