[VIDEO INSIDE] Ticking sound :(

kingtonghsp

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
There is a slight ticking sound at a certain point of acceleration and deceleration, sounds like it's coming from the left VCT solenoid area of the engine.

My car is a 2005 Lincoln LS V8. 60,000 miles.

First video is under the hood, in the engine bay area.

2nd video is me driving down the street and back again. You can hear the tick tick tick sound every now and then when I accelerate/decelerate. Then it goes away when I give it more gas. Weird. Any ideas?

UNDER THE HOOD VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOtohEex26U

DRIVING VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOT-xlzxlHM

Is it more of a clanking? in the video it sounds deep toned, but is it more higher pitched and sounds like the bottom off the engine is going to fall apart? Listen and see if the sound is worse near the back of the engine.

Highest grade of gas. I think its 92/93 octane? It's premium here on post.
No it's not really a deep tone, or a high tone, it's a clicking. Listen to the driving video, you can hear it periodically when I accelerate, or when I slow down.

All the maintenance is up. And it sounds like its coming from front of the engine more then the rear.

I've be temped to pull the valve covers and look at the timing chains and guides.

All the maintenance is up. And it sounds like its coming from front of the engine more then the rear.

OK, then it isn't the flywheel bolts coming loose. It would sound worse towards the back and really bad from under the car say right behind the front wheels. The first video it really sounds like the flywheel is why I thought this.

Maybe your water pump is going??

I've be temped to pull the valve covers and look at the timing chains and guides.

What exactly am I looking for here? Do you have any method of contact i.e. chat/text/phone/email?

You offered me alot of insight these past few days, and I greatly appreciate your knowledge and feedback.

OK, then it isn't the flywheel bolts coming loose. It would sound worse towards the back and really bad from under the car say right behind the front wheels. The first video it really sounds like the flywheel is why I thought this.

Maybe your water pump is going??

If the water pump was going, then wouldn't my engine temperature rise above the medium?

If the water pump was going, then wouldn't my engine temperature rise above the medium?

Yea, if it broke then it would and if it was leaking then it would loose all it's coolant then it would overheat. The seal isn't always the first thing to go.

do a burnout!!!

Why? No...seriously...why?

What are some other symptoms of a bad timing chain? The car drives fantastic, accelerates fantastic, and all of that. Just that noise annoys me, and makes me think there is something in there not functioning correctly drives me nutts. If im paying money for something, I expect it to work right, and if it doesn't, I am going to try my hardest to fix it.

Cause burnouts are cool! Good luck with it though.

You sure its coming from the block? Could it be a bearing in the ALT or some other accessory?

Cause burnouts are cool! Good luck with it though.

You sure its coming from the block? Could it be a bearing in the ALT or some other accessory?

Haha, well I just got brand new tires not even 2 weeks ago, and id like to keep em semi-brand newish for now :D

I am not 100% sure where it is coming, all I know is a general vicinity of where it's coming from. I've got a few suggestions of the sound being dirty injectors, sticky rocker arm, and now timing chain. Have you seen the videos? I think the 2nd video does more justice to the sound, you can really hear it. It's almost like a click, click, click, click, CLICK, *stop*. Like real fast. Kinda like one of those toy machine guns.

I doubt that you have a timing chain issue, the video is hard hear, the ticking, comes across as a dull thumping.
I would bet that you have something that is driven by the belt starting to go, or maybe an exhaust issue.
use a piece of hose, place it over every part of the engine while it is running, and try to pinpoint the noise.
that is better than having people guess from a crappy video.

I'm telling you, it doesn't sound like valve train or injectors at all. Those would be more of a constant sound and usually get loader as the rpms rise.

I doubt that you have a timing chain issue, the video is hard hear, the ticking, comes across as a dull thumping.
I would bet that you have something that is driven by the belt starting to go, or maybe an exhaust issue.
use a piece of hose, place it over every part of the engine while it is running, and try to pinpoint the noise.
that is better than having people guess from a crappy video.

I'll have to try that hose idea, exactly what am I doing? Placing the hose on every part and putting my ear on the other end of the hose?

I'll have to try that hose idea, exactly what am I doing? Placing the hose on every part and putting my ear on the other end of the hose?

Yes, that's the cheap (but effective) version of the mechanic's stethoscope.

Yes, that's the cheap (but effective) version of the mechanic's stethoscope.

I've also used a long screwdriver. Just touch the metal end to a part on the engine and the handle to your ear. I thought someone was messing with me when they told me to try it, but it really works. I diagnosed a bad IAC on my wife's Ranger doing that about a year ago. Good luck!

I've also used a long screwdriver. Just touch the metal end to a part on the engine and the handle to your ear. I thought someone was messing with me when they told me to try it, but it really works. I diagnosed a bad IAC on my wife's Ranger doing that about a year ago. Good luck!

An advantage of the hose over the screwdriver is that if you slip and hit a moving part, the hose won't go through your head.

Good luck getting that on the water pump while it's running. With the engine off firmly grab the water pump and try to wiggle it. Any wiggle means a bad water pump.

damn, i kinda have this noise, my is a little more dramatic, like "i love my LS so much i dont want to keep it running noise", lol.....

im going to take the LH VC off tomorrow to see if i have any pull in the chains. im pretty sure im going to have to replace a tensioner....if so, im going to try to do this as cheap and painless as possible. anyone know if the tensioners on ebay are the worth buying? they say new metal design...im also positive its the tensioner... the noise seems less when accelerating, then when you let go of the gas, it starts to clunk/knock every couple seconds, coming right from the timing chain area:( only started hearing this last night and drove home 5 miles, then cold started this morning for a couple minutes and same awful noise! oh well let the maintenance of 2010 begin! i feel confident digging into my engine because i see a few of you on here not intimidated by the timing chain massacre and i just want to say it gives me hope : ) thanks:D

I purchased a after-market warranty from Mastertech when I bought the car. I believe it was the basic power train warranty. I just don't want to take it to the shop, have them run diagnostic tests on it and charge me $400 in labor, and find out it was something that my warranty doesn't even cover. :(

I got to do my best to find out what this thing is coming from before I take it to the shop. I have to. With the help of the LS population on this board, I believe I can achieve that, and maybe even succeed in fixing it.

I believe in you guys.

damn, i kinda have this noise, my is a little more dramatic, like "i love my LS so much i dont want to keep it running noise", lol.....

im going to take the LH VC off tomorrow to see if i have any pull in the chains. im pretty sure im going to have to replace a tensioner....if so, im going to try to do this as cheap and painless as possible. anyone know if the tensioners on ebay are the worth buying? they say new metal design...im also positive its the tensioner... the noise seems less when accelerating, then when you let go of the gas, it starts to clunk/knock every couple seconds, coming right from the timing chain area:( only started hearing this last night and drove home 5 miles, then cold started this morning for a couple minutes and same awful noise! oh well let the maintenance of 2010 begin! i feel confident digging into my engine because i see a few of you on here not intimidated by the timing chain massacre and i just want to say it gives me hope : ) thanks:D

Sounds exactly like my problem. I wander how this worked out for you?

Is anyone else having the same problem, or similiar to mine? I wander what could cause this to happen? I keep great maintenance on the LS, and rarely push it too hard. =\ I drive the LS maybe 3 times a week.

Members online

No members online now.
Back