06 Navigation DVD update?

LikeNew02

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
The Navigation in my 06 LS is the first Navigation that I have owned. The navigation DVD that I have is from 2005/2006.

I was thinking about updating the DVD with a 2009 version for $199.

Is it worth updating the 2009 DVD?

Are the graphics different with the new 2009 DVD?

The Navigation in my 06 LS is the first Navigation that I have owned. The navigation DVD that I have is from 2005/2006.

I was thinking about updating the DVD with a 2009 version for $199.

Is it worth updating the 2009 DVD?

Are the graphics different with the new 2009 DVD?

It depends. The graphics are the same. The new DVD does have updated POIs over the 06/06 version. I figured I would update every 2 years and that should cover any new construction. Our old "06" disc didn't include a restaurant that has been here for over 50 years; it didn't even recognize the address. The new disc includes that restaurant and others missing on the older disc.

people sell these discs used? or maybe they put something to prevent people from doing that?

Navigation discs

Go To:

www.navteq.com

They sell the navigation discs for the Lincoln LS the current version is, I think, 7D. The price is $199.00

I wish they came with a graphics update... The Windows 98 *grey blocks* look just isn't too pleasing in 2009 lol

I wish they came with a graphics update... The Windows 98 *grey blocks* look just isn't too pleasing in 2009 lol
That's not because of the NAV/DVD, it's because of the low res screen on the head unit. The graphics will never improve as long as that screen is used.

That's the main reason why it's stupid to try to play movies or games on the stock NAV unit. Low res screen = low res graphics.

So it's safe to say that no one has copied one of these dvds successfully?

That's not because of the NAV/DVD, it's because of the low res screen on the head unit. The graphics will never improve as long as that screen is used.

That's the main reason why it's stupid to try to play movies or games on the stock NAV unit. Low res screen = low res graphics.

I watch movies on the stock nav. Its had decent picture quality.

199 is a lot but I do want the updated disk. I think NYC LS8 found a guy on craigslist that sold copies of them, Cost a lot less

So it's safe to say that no one has copied one of these dvds successfully?

No, it's not safe to say that it can't be done. All you need is the right software/hardware on your computer & a 8.5GB DVD disc.

No, it's not safe to say that it can't be done. All you need is the right software/hardware on your computer & a 8.5GB DVD disc.

LOL.

I'm still rocking a NAV disk in my car from 01 or 02. It sucks.

But I am not about to pay $199 for a disk.

My friend had a new NAVTEQ disk for his navigation system (it is an alpine, but everything is IDENTICAL in appearance to the LS system). I copied it to my HDD, but I was too lazy to go get a dual layer DVD disk to try it.

Since I think I am the only LS owner in Utah, I'm going to have a hard time finding a legit disk to copy.

LOL.

I'm still rocking a NAV disk in my car from 01 or 02. It sucks.

But I am not about to pay $199 for a disk.

My friend had a new NAVTEQ disk for his navigation system (it is an alpine, but everything is IDENTICAL in appearance to the LS system). I copied it to my HDD, but I was too lazy to go get a dual layer DVD disk to try it.

Since I think I am the only LS owner in Utah, I'm going to have a hard time finding a legit disk to copy.

A friend at a dealer tried to copy a disc for me. It didn't work. He had access to all the required software and knew what he was doing. I don't want him to get in trouble so I won't mention his name.

BTW, has anyone found a way to hack the system som it can be used while driving? I've been searching for months and have found nothing.

A friend at a dealer tried to copy a disc for me. It didn't work. He had access to all the required software and knew what he was doing. I don't want him to get in trouble so I won't mention his name.

BTW, has anyone found a way to hack the system som it can be used while driving? I've been searching for months and have found nothing.

You mean the navigation functions that get locked when you go over 5 mph? I made a thread asking that question. I just checked it, you posted things on it but I dont know if you saw one of the last posts.

This thread is from a Expedition/Navigator forum, but I'm sure the systems are similar. I plan on trying this on my LS and Gator very soon as not being able to have a passenger enter details while driving is idiotic.

All that you need to do according to the instructions is put a switch in to open and close the connection for the VSS while driving. The navigation system will not update position while the switch is open, but you will have full functionality of the system.

Here are the instructions:

1. Remove the black dashboard trim. Remove the two screws above the instrument cluster. You will be tempted to just bend the trim piece enough to get at the headunit screws but the headunit must come out of the dash anyway.
2. Once out (or out far enough to get at the harness), looking down at the back of the HU you will see a harness with only 4 wires on the right side. There will be a black wire with a white stripe, that's the VSS wire.
3. Push back the cloth material wrapped around the wires and cut the wire a few inches from the harness.
4. Strip the wires and crimped on two 20ga crimp connectors (the red ones).
5. Prepared your switch by soldering about a foot of wire onto each pole. I used a simple STDP switch, but I would suggest mounting a black push button switch somewhere near the HU. Not a momentary switch. You want one that will switch b/t on and off and stay either on or off.
6. Crimp the switch wires into the VSS wire crimps you place on the VSS wire in step 4.
7. Mount your switch where ever you like. Done deal!

I think I will try this soon

You mean the navigation funtioncs that get locked when you go over 5 mph? I made a thread asking that question. I just checked it, you posted things on it but I dont know if you saw one of the last posts.

The Nav in the LS is very different from the Nav in other Ford/Lincolns. There isn't even a four pin connector on the back of the Nav headunit.

The VSS signal goes into the rear (DVD drive in the trunk) navigation module. It is the white with green band wire that goes to pin 14 of connector C4209. Connector C4209 is the 24 pin connector.

The Nav in the LS is very different from the Nav in other Ford/Lincolns. There isn't even a four pin connector on the back of the Nav headunit.

The VSS signal goes into the rear (DVD drive in the trunk) navigation module. It is the white with green band wire that goes to pin 14 of connector C4209. Connector C4209 is the 24 pin connector.

So can this still be done, the VSS is just in a different location. Can a switch still be placed on the DVD module in the trunk on the VSS to be able to use it while driving then close it to have it update the position?

You mean the navigation functions that get locked when you go over 5 mph? I made a thread asking that question. I just checked it, you posted things on it but I dont know if you saw one of the last posts.

I remember reading something like that, but, IIRC, that also affected the speedo and other components. That's why you couldn't do this permanently. I'm looking for a permanent fix that doesn't need on/off switches, like this.

It's easier to just enter the addresses that you might need ahead of time, before you are moving. Even while moving, you can still select from the list of previous destinations.

The switch trick might still work. For sure the nav won't work will the VSS signal is off, but the speedometer and everything else still will. The VSS to the nav in the trunk passes through a connector behind the driver's kick panel.

With all the stuff about distracted drivers and the new laws coming out, you might soon go to jail for doing something like this (if/when you get into an accident)...

Yea the stock NAV blows... I find myself using my iPhone NAV more than the one in the LS... The LS NAV is outdated and it is bad @ guessing what locations you type in... I will type in an address and it makes you pick from a predetermined list that is sometimes in a totally different state.

It is good for some things such as long trips to a place you can actually get the right address for to put in the nav. I am glad to have the iPhone with me though because it has bailed me out of spots where the stock NAV had no idea what was going on.

I remember reading something like that, but, IIRC, that also affected the speedo and other components. That's why you couldn't do this permanently. I'm looking for a permanent fix that doesn't need on/off switches, like this.

That would be awesome if it was available for the ls

It's easier to just enter the addresses that you might need ahead of time, before you are moving. Even while moving, you can still select from the list of previous destinations.

The switch trick might still work. For sure the nav won't work will the VSS signal is off, but the speedometer and everything else still will. The VSS to the nav in the trunk passes through a connector behind the driver's kick panel.

With all the stuff about distracted drivers and the new laws coming out, you might soon go to jail for doing something like this (if/when you get into an accident)...

Yeah I wouldn't really attemp to input addresses while driving but it really got me thinking of doing this when I had a passenger with me and we were on the freeway and needed to put in an address. I really dont want to get out of the freeway and park somewhere to put in an address that takes only 10 seconds. It would only be switched on for a few seconds to input the address and switched back off to update position, I dont mind the button part.

Yea the stock NAV blows... I find myself using my iPhone NAV more than the one in the LS... The LS NAV is outdated and it is bad @ guessing what locations you type in... I will type in an address and it makes you pick from a predetermined list that is sometimes in a totally different state.

It is good for some things such as long trips to a place you can actually get the right address for to put in the nav. I am glad to have the iPhone with me though because it has bailed me out of spots where the stock NAV had no idea what was going on.

You need to select the correct region to get the correct list. That said, Navteq does a pretty poor job of keeping up to date. Their '09 DVD finally has a restaurant that has been here for over 50 years listed! FWIW, my neighbor has a Lexus with a nav that doesn't list that restaurant.

That would be awesome if it was available for the ls

Yeah I wouldn't really attempt to input addresses while driving but it really got me thinking of doing this when I had a passenger with me and we were on the freeway and needed to put in an address. I really dont want to get out of the freeway and park somewhere to put in an address that takes only 10 seconds. It would only be switched on for a few seconds to input the address and switched back off to update position, I dont mind the button part.

EXACTLY! I want my wife to be able to enter stuff on the run. That really helps on vacations or in unfamiliar areas.

Members online

No members online now.
Back