clutch

Racist clutch is racist...

on a serious note... all manual V6 LS's used a (I think) Getrag 221 5 speed (could have been a 226 but I'm almost positive the 226 is a 6 speed... too lazy to look it up)... so I don't see why it wouldn't work due to the fact your choices are pretty limited on getting the part number wrong lol

i need a clutch for a 2000 LS v-6 and was wondering if this one would work
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CLUT...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4a9b2ef80b

It will work, he has the years wrong. The manual was offered in the 2000 to 2002 only and the transmission did not change in those years.

How many miles are on the car and are you going to do this yourself? I have 114K on mine and I downshift a lot so I am watching it closely as I think it will go out in the next 12 months or so. I have heard of others going out at 110k.

Last edited:
It will work, he has the years wrong. The manual was offered in the 200 to 2002 only and the transmission did not change in those years.

How many miles are on the car and are you going to do this yourself? I have 114K on mine and I downshift a lot so I am watching it closely as I think it will go out in the next 12 months or so. I have heard of others going out at 110k.

mine started slipping just before 50K... luckily I bought brand new and they replaced it under warranty

I drag and race granny gold a lot though XD

I have 136K miles on mine with no problems. I just changed one on a 2000 mustang v6 with 187K (miles) on it and although his throwout bearing was devastated with balls all over inside the bell housing and the casing of the bearing was literally shredded, the pressure plate and clutch disk looked unbelievably well preserved. I think it would be a great idea to pre-buy a complete clutch kit for the LS and have it always ready to go, stored in a dry and sealed environment just in case stock runs dry. Is that a decent price for this setup? I was more expecting low $200s instead of nearly $300.

I have 136K miles on mine with no problems. I just changed one on a 2000 mustang v6 with 187K (miles) on it and although his throwout bearing was devastated with balls all over inside the bell housing and the casing of the bearing was literally shredded, the pressure plate and clutch disk looked unbelievably well preserved. I think it would be a great idea to pre-buy a complete clutch kit for the LS and have it always ready to go, stored in a dry and sealed environment just in case stock runs dry. Is that a decent price for this setup? I was more expecting low $200s instead of nearly $300.

I did some searching on the internet after seeing this and it looks like the best price I could find on the web with a short search. They only made 2300 of these cars, so I would expect the clutch to be difficult to find and more expensive then common clutch sets.

I didn't want to, as I was chicken.

Nah, not really. I just hadn't driven a manual trans in a while, and didn't want to mess it up.

I'm at 125,000 so far so good.

Just got rid of a 5L Mustang, original owner had clutch replaced at 20,000 (warrantee for rear seal leak that soaked the clutch) I had 155,000 (135K on replacement clutch) with no slippage.

I hate to bring up and old thread, but figured it was better then starting a new one, so here it goes.

I went to race my brothers v6 mustang today after changing the transmission fluid in my 5 speed and had a problem with my clutch, or at least I think i did and want some advice from people with LS 5 speed manual experience.
I started out by doing to burn outs. First one roasted the right tire, second roasted the left. I felt like I was ready to race with both tires warmed up. I revved to about 3k rpm or so for launch and we went. I let the clutch out somewhat slow giving it most of the throttle and then let the clutch out all the way then floored it all the way. When going something didn't feel right, like I was weighted down so I looked at my speedo and tach and an alarm went off in my head. The tach was at 7k rpm but the speedo only said 25. I shifted to second, same thing. I let off and rolling about 30 mph tested my clutch and it felt fine and the tranny shifted then I finally smelled the clutch. It didn't smell too bad but it was definitely clutch.

I rolled across the finish line at about 40mph, whooo

I slowly drive back to the starting line(BTW I was at the local AG airport) and told my brother what I thought had happened. I let the car idle for a few minutes when we talked about it and I tried to launch again at 2k rpm to see if it would do it again and it didn't. So we raced again launching at 2k and we won.

My question is is my launch procedure bad, or is my clutch going out? The clutch has never given me problems before this.

P.S. sorry for the long read, I felt like I should be clear in what had happened for better understanding.

your clutch in your very rare 5 speed is slipping.

my advice to you is to keep pounding the car until it wont run, everyone here knows what a true sports car the LS is, well built and full of high performance goodies.

Either your wheels are spinning or your clutch is slipping.....

This doesn't make you a retard as stated above.

sure it does.

7000 rpm, dump the clutch, car goes very slow.

RETARD!!!

Keep beating the car, you are an enthusiast!!!!

sure it does.

7000 rpm, dump the clutch, car goes very slow.

RETARD!!!

Keep beating the car, you are an enthusiast!!!!

Reread it. He dumped the clutch at 3k or so. Then he noticed it was at 7k when something didn't seem right.

And I am quite sure that this does not make him a retard.

One word, RETARD!!

Look who's talking, sounds like you didn't even make it to high school because you obviously can't read.

One word, DUMBASS!!

Reread it. He dumped the clutch at 3k or so. Then he noticed it was at 7k when something didn't seem right.

And I am quite sure that this does not make him a retard.

You also need to reread what I said

I revved to about 3k rpm or so for launch and we went. I let the clutch out somewhat slow giving it most of the throttle and then let the clutch out all the way then floored it all the way.....

My question is is my launch procedure bad, or is my clutch going out? The clutch has never given me problems before this.

I don't dump my clutch, ever. Period.

I'm not a Subaru WRX driver that floors it then drops the clutch and wonders why he tears through transmissions. My cousin drove like this in his STI and threw a rod through his block. The block alone was like $9k.

Are you talking about me or #1 Ford fan? I hope It's the latter because I was just defending and clarifying myself.

I think he was talking about fordfan, that guy is a freaken moron. He only posts dumb remarks and has not contributed any useful information. We all just need to ignore his posts and not add to his enjoyment

Are you talking about me or #1 Ford fan? I hope It's the latter because I was just defending and clarifying myself.

Yeah, he is just defending himself!!!

It makes sense to ban people with a different opinion than the OP, if you don't like what I have to say, just ignore me.

grow a set.

Members online

No members online now.
Back