Installing my FM Modulator

CrackerJack

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Installing my FM Modulator (Updated with Pics)

Im getting my Modulator today, there are no installation instructions included, but I know you have to have a power from somewhere.

I need a 12v and a ground for this thing. I was thinking of clamping onto the cigarette lighter / ashtray thing, but dont know which is 12v and what is ground.

Any ideas where to grab this from or what wire is what?

Last edited:
grab something that is a switched 12V. You can easily steal it right from the console off of the traction control/ advancetrac button. Would the antenna wire be long enough to plug in still or does it not need to?

The tracktion control is 12v?

hey cracker, I still would grab power from a switched wire, that way you dont have to remember to switch it off every time you get out of the car, it would suck to forget to turn it off and it kill the battery and since you can never use it with the radio off there is no reason to have it powered all the time and take the chance, since you will be taking the radio out anyway for the antenna connection you might as well tap into the ACC wire for the radio and just ground it at any one of the screws for the radio

if you have a 1st gen, and you are looking at the back of the radio(right side up of course) with the harness still plugged in, the top row of wires from the RIGHT is (1) constant (2) ACC (3) ground

Oko so I got back there and it was a red and black. Since the black was on the top in the "middle" I assumed that was the live wire. I got all my :q:q:q:q spliced and it didnt work.

Is black ground? or is red ground? I thought red meant hot but it wasnt in the middle like you said it was.

red is 12v+, black is ground. when you use a volt meter, the 12v goes to the center contact of the plug, the ground goes to the outside collar.

Not to hijack this thread or anything but whats a good source to tap for some gauges on the a-pillar?

a member of the LLSOC had 50 made for the LS - two pod. He was only able to sell a few, and then Ken form LSKoncepts bought the rest of the stock. I believe he has since sold out of them and now only sells universal fits.

Guess I shoulda been a little more specific, I meant power wise, like what wires can I tap into and where.

got it - depends on that guages you are using.

most need a 12v, ground and light/dash - all of which are accessable from the lighting switch. which is near that side of of the car - and allows you to tuck all the wiring into the dash end plate (plastic cover you can remove when the door is open) - makes it real handy. I use the ground where the dash bolts to the frame. I'll have to look to get which exact wires are used off the lighting for 12v and light brightness.

Finding the right sensor wires can be more challenging - unless you are implementing guages that come with their own sensors.

The back of the plug look similar to a cross
B is Black wire, I thought would be ground it usually is, or white. Red is almost always live.

.....__
.__|.B|__
|__...._R|
....|__|
Bottom

Those were the only two wires, I assume they are the wrong ones as I had very good splice connections, I just have to switch them around. I wouldnt have blown a fuse would I? Everything still works fine and the fuse for the mod is OK still.

Finished my Modulator project yesterday, the wiring is horrible because I didnt splice right the first time, so I dont want to show that part... lol here are some pics. We used a dremel when we made our cuts, inside we just had the shop vac running next to the cutting blade to reduce nastiness. We also cut off about 7/8 inch off the piece that has the switch / port because it was HUGE.

IMG_3628.JPG

IMG_3629.JPG

IMG_3630.JPG

IMG_3631.JPG

IMG_3632.JPG

Members online

No members online now.
Back