Potential new LS owner here.

DrewSG

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking at a 2003 Lincoln LS V8 with 79,000 miles on the clock. I was browsing a car lot when I stumbled across it. They are asking $9500 for it, is this a fair price? I test drove the car and it rode really nice. I swung it around, drove it hard, and it seemed to hold up good.

Now, I *believe* it's fully loaded. It has power sunroof, navigation (with thx?), walnut interior, and 17 inch chrome wheels. I plan on going back Tuesday before I put down the rest of the payment.

My following questions are

1) What else should I check for when I go back? I hear issues with the A/C, heated/cooled seats, anything else?

2) If it has the premium package, does it have the HIDs?

I'm coming from a 2000 LS1 F-Body, which pretty much turned me into the everyday mechanic. So a few issues hear and there won't scare me off. ;)

ignition coils. did the 2003 have bad vcg's as well?

Open the hood. if there is a high voltage warning on the headlight housing, you have HID's.

where are you at in florida. Ive seen some 06's for not much more than that with about half the miles.. I would say $7500 -$8000 for a car like that.

The 03's had "improved" VCG's. Really just to make sure, bring a 7 and 8mm socket set with, take the car out again, pull off the VCG, pull out the coils and look for RUST in the plugs area, 5 mins tops. And see if you can take it home and wash it. You can tell a LOT about the car by how well of the paint is.

Still, coils and VCG are covered under factory warranty to 100k miles, so get them replaced anyways if they already have not been.

ASK FOR THE CARFAX!!!!!

Welcome DrewSG,
I've had a bunch of different camaro's when I was younger TPI, LT1, and an LS1 so I feel your pain haha.

The LS really turned me on cuz it's rear wheel drive, v8, pretty sporty looking, and still fairly luxurious. Anyway, I have an 03 (had it for about 6 months now) and I love it. I bought it with about 60,000 miles and recently just turned over 70,000. I think I've gone through the most common problems so far - I had the stripped wire under my driver's seat which caused all kindsa weird problems - pretty easy fix though.

I've also had to have a couple coils replaced and the vcg's replaced. With an 03, you will have the extended warranty on the coils/vcg's. Mine were replaced for free and will be up to 100,000 miles. It is kinda annoying, but it is free from the dealer so I guess I can't complain too much.

Finally, the transmissions in these cars can be somewhat finicky, and some have had problems with the selenoids - some have had no problems. Seems to really be hit or miss.

Hope this helps!

fyi, the coils can only be replaced if there is oil or water contamination. the vcgs have to be done at that time. also only the faulting coils are replaced at that time, not all 8 just because.

otherwise the 03+ are the ones to look at imo. a lot of updates over the 00-02s that cause them to be much less problematic, and also 30hp more and a little more asthetically pleasing. as far as trans issues, i've heard of the occasional valvebody (mine being one of them that had been done under factory warranty at 49k) otherwise not much i've seen (i've worked at ford and lincoln dealers for over 6 years)

fyi, the coils can only be replaced if there is oil or water contamination.

That's not true. The program was expanded to cover all coil failures. Coils frequently fail without water or oil, and not Ford admits that.

That is a high price for that car. I see 03's and 04's in the 50 - 60,000 mile range for 8,000 to 12,000. You could probably do better. And there are sport models and non sport models also. Biggest difference that I notice is the chrome and non chrome bumpers.

That is a high price for that car. I see 03's and 04's in the 50 - 60,000 mile range for 8,000 to 12,000. You could probably do better. And there are sport models and non sport models also. Biggest difference that I notice is the chrome and non chrome bumpers.

Sort of. All '03-'06 V8s have the sport suspension. All '03-'05 (well, except one of which I'm aware; and it's special!) V6s have the base, or non-sport suspension. IIRC, Canadian LSes have both base and sport V6 and V8s.

That price is high. I paid ~$15.5K for my '06 with 32K miles.

Umm, the car sounds over priced. I just know I wouldnt pay that much. I just bought an 02 lexus is300 with 77k on it for 7,100 and those cars seem to have a higher value than lincoln ls.

I know about the suspension differences as well as the leather shifter compared to the wood as well, But I like the sport better, because there is no chrome, I wish mine was a sport. And what is this one other one you are talking about? There was a canadian LS for sale on here and it had fabric interior stock.

OK.. I ran the CARFAX and it let me know that the title is clean

10/19/2006

Maintenance inspection completed
Front door trim panel replaced
Tires rotated and balanced
Front window regulator replaced

02/21/2007

Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated
Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
Valve cover gasket replaced
Rear window regulator replaced
Rear door trim panel replaced
Manufacturer's recommended maintenance performed

04/03/2007

A/C system serviced
Ignition system checked

What do you guys think?

Should I avoid this or should I take it?

OK.. I ran the CARFAX and it let me know that the title is clean

10/19/2006

Front door trim panel replaced
Tires rotated and balanced
Front window regulator replaced

02/21/2007

Valve cover gasket replaced
Rear window regulator replaced
Rear door trim panel replaced

04/03/2007

A/C system serviced
Ignition system checked

What do you guys think?

Should I avoid this or should I take it?

It still sounds like a lot unless you have bad credit or something.

My credit is so-so, maybe I can talk them down about 500-$1000? I dunno

Sounds like you have a 2003 LS8 Ultimate on your hands.

I would talk them down into the 8s for sure. Maybe even 9k flat if the car is in real good shape regarding paint and body.

And yes it has HIDs, can you not tell when turning them on? turn on the headlights and then pull back the toggle switch to engage the highbeams. Then go out and inspect what you see. You should see the outer larger reflectors with a crisp white light, then the interior reflector bowls with the standard yellowish-glow lights.

That is too much to pay. Walk on it. If you really want an LS you have to search and find the best one. I waited a long time to get mine and when I found it in 2006 it was in Atlanta and it had 14,000 miles on it. The car now has 35,xxx on it and I'm glad I waited.

Members online

No members online now.
Back