*HELP Bank 1 & 2 Lean*

SlickLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I started my car the other day and it was running rough and threw a CEL...so I got the rotunda scanner out and pulled the codes and it said that both banks 1&2 are running lean..any suggestions where to start? 2000 LS V-8 Thanks

Crapola! I am having the same problem! I keep clearing it and it keeps coming back hahaha.

I changed my fuel filter and found a ton of sediment that looked similar to coffee grinds. Yikes! But still I am having the same problem.

I would imagine either a) it's cheap california gas b) that my fuel system needs a good cleaning, ie injectors, lines, filters, and tank.

My solution is to trade in. :D

check your fuel pressure as a first easy step. could be your pump is tired. next i would guess 02 sensors or cat.

Errr.. the car would throw a CEL for a o2's and/or cat.

But I do agree with the pressure check. I don't think it will show though, because my light will stay off for a long period of time before returning. Thus showing to me that if there is a pressure drop, I wont be able to tell.

I have learned mostly with Fords, if you can't pinpoint the problem exactly. Then just leave it alone until you do. :)

I just went and bought a new fuel pressure sensor (or regulator) and about to put it on..do I need to clear the codes or reset the computer after I install the new one?

Yes it would help, and could be done with reader or unplugging battery and pressing brake several times.

Maybe. :rolleyes:

no. ;)
so I can just clear the codes using my ford scanner instead of disconnecting the battery?

I had the same problem. Leaky injector and had to replace # 6 fuel injector. Problem Gone!:)

I had the same problem. Leaky injector and had to replace # 6 fuel injector. Problem Gone!:)

do you know what code exactly your car threw because I would hate to buy a part that won't solve my problem..thanks

so I can just clear the codes using my ford scanner instead of disconnecting the battery?

Yes, there should be an option for that.

do you know what code exactly your car threw because I would hate to buy a part that won't solve my problem..thanks

No kidding!

I got a replacement stock intake to replace my modded one, cleared the CEL and it's been off for a couple of days, but we will see... :rolleyes:

Tomorrow I am going out to my buddy's house where my car is at...besides my scanner what else should I need?

bank 1 and bank 2 lean can very easily be a MAF sensor... please try it...

you say maybe but no one rightnow know what the problem is right???

bank 1 and bank 2 lean can very easily be a MAF sensor... please try it...

you say maybe but no one rightnow know what the problem is right???

should I try and run my car with the maf unplugged? because if it runs then I know it's for sure that..i think I might see if my friend will let me borrow his maf off his LS

The chances that both sensors would throw codes at the same time are pretty slim to none. Possible, but very unlikely.

A split in the breather hose would let in unmetered air, throwing off the MAF sensor values and causing the mixture to lean out.
Edit: it would also cause the car to run like crap.

Old O2 sensors?

It would throw a CEL if reading out of range. When I accidently clogged my fuel line, it actually did throw the o2 sensor codes and not any banks lean codes. :shifty:

The chances that both sensors would throw codes at the same time are pretty slim to none. Possible, but very unlikely.

A split in the breather hose would let in unmetered air, throwing off the MAF sensor values and causing the mixture to lean out.
Edit: it would also cause the car to run like crap.

Exactly! I can't speak for the OP, but mine don't. It was running normal with some low off idle pinging.

I would have to agree with changing the fuel filter, cleaning the maf, clearing the codes and running it for a bit.

I am going to mess with the car tomorrow morning but I don't want to run my car too long while running lean

If the cel is on and its lean in both banks, you can still drive your car. It's just not in normal spec. If your cel starts flashing then you run a risk of damaging the engine. I've been fighting with mine for about 4 months now. Cleaned my MAF, cel still came on, checked all hoses. Did develope a miss so I changed plugs and coils yesterday. If this fixes mine (which I doubt) I'll let ya know. I figured it was my maf, or 3rd o2 sensor.

+1 ground zero.

I forgot about that, not flashing = less of a big deal. haha :)

Also unplugging the maf wont tell you squat, it will still run.

It would run like dog poo, but that wont tell you anything. :/ The MAF isn't bad, otherwise the car would tell you it was. ;) Provided it was reading out of voltage range.

Members online

Back