99 conti spark plugs

omrjln

LVC Member
Reaction score
Is there a diagram that explains how to change the spark plugs on a 99 Conti? I :) appreciate the help

It's pretty straight forward. Your plugs are located under the 2 plates that say intech 32v on them. How I do it is start with the front to get a general idea how it works. Remove the 2 coil cover bolts, twist the coils left and right to break them loose then pop them off. Socket and extension to get the plugs out. A little bit on anti seize on the new threads, do not over tighten them. Then a little bit of dielectric grease inside of the boots.
Back is pretty much the same just a wierd angle. Also I take the strut brace bar off for doing the back. You will know what that is because it will be in your way. Also a piece of rubber black hose can help you to remove and install the plug into the holes. Just big enough to grab the top of the plugs and maybe 6-8 inches long. Just take your time, Don't cross thread them, don't over tighten them, and try not to drop anything into the holes.

It's pretty straight forward. Your plugs are located under the 2 plates that say intech 32v on them. How I do it is start with the front to get a general idea how it works. Remove the 2 coil cover bolts, twist the coils left and right to break them loose then pop them off. Socket and extension to get the plugs out. A little bit on anti seize on the new threads, do not over tighten them. Then a little bit of dielectric grease inside of the boots.
Back is pretty much the same just a wierd angle. Also I take the strut brace bar off for doing the back. You will know what that is because it will be in your way. Also a piece of rubber black hose can help you to remove and install the plug into the holes. Just big enough to grab the top of the plugs and maybe 6-8 inches long. Just take your time, Don't cross thread them, don't over tighten them, and try not to drop anything into the holes.

Wats the best plugs to get? and is it important to buy the wireset?

Just for daily driving I would get the plugs that came in it. Don't waste your money on expensive stuff. Also we have no wires. We just have coil packs.

Thanks, will try and reply with results.

what a start !!!

the coil cover bolts aren't niether 3/8 nor 7/16, does it erquire a special tool or what?

Ok so here it is;

First of all, thanks a lot for the info you are GREAT.

Second, it took about 75 minutes but te job is done (I think)

Third, Lincoln (Ford) she be tried as International Criminals for placing the plugs in the back.

Fourth, I noticed that a couple of plugs had some oil on them (actually 1 of them had a lot) so what does that mean?

Fifth and last, does the oil explain why some smoke and burning smell? Is it normal?

BTW, the car started perfectly !!!

Thanks again.

1 more thing

Ok so here it is;

First of all, thanks a lot for the info you are GREAT.

Second, it took about 75 minutes but te job is done (I think)

Third, Lincoln (Ford) she be tried as International Criminals for placing the plugs in the back.

Fourth, I noticed that a couple of plugs had some oil on them (actually 1 of them had a lot) so what does that mean?

Fifth and last, does the oil explain why some smoke and burning smell? Is it normal?

BTW, the car started perfectly !!!

Thanks again.

1 more thing,
is it ormal that the older plugs took longer to unscrew than when the new plugs went in?

Hmm, oil on the plugs is not a good thing. It might be a gasket going. When was the last time the plugs were changed? I would just check the plugs every now and then to see if their if you still get alot of oil. You can deal with a little bit.

Hmm, oil on the plugs is not a good thing. It might be a gasket going. When was the last time the plugs were changed? I would just check the plugs every now and then to see if their if you still get alot of oil. You can deal with a little bit.

Well, I have had the car for almost 5 years and haven't had the plugs canged since I got it.

I always used Bosch Platinum sparks with the double Contacts. The Bosch come pre-gapped and don't need any adjustments. And sometime the Autolite platinum spark-plugs (Those may need gapping). Both are very good.

Stay away from any Cooper core spark plugs. Had trouble with those and paid the price months later in getting the Platinum's from Bosch or Autolite over time. Also stay away from Champion branded plugs too. These Intechs get pissy when you give them anything that can ruin performance.

As for coils and some other parts, never ever get it at the Dealer.

Checkout
#1: rockauto.com
#2: Autozone
#3: advance auto parts

Oh yeah, it's a very common Intech issue with the oil penetrating the gaskets over time. Sometimes it can lead to engine misfire. I think it's the Valve cover gasket. Done many tune-up in continental from 95 and up and almost all of them had oil in there. It's not a huge deal. The most i've seen was in a 98 with 185k. The plug was just full of oil and the car misfired like crazy. Dried it up and all was well. Though I've never seen any of the cars smoke when hot. It is normal for a puff of smoke to come out of the tailpipe at cold starts.

It was just some oil that drizzled on the exhaust

Everything is SUPER !!

Thanks a lot guys, especially you ground_zero298

The smoking you are talking about could be the oil temp or pressure sensor forgot the exact name but mine does that too. I've brought it to 2 different places who fixed it which is basically tightening a couple of bolts and it is loose again. I see smoke come up outta the hood occasionally and it smells like oil burning. No big deal. I'm going to try and find it myself this year and locktite the SOB

Members online

No members online now.
Back