performance 5r55s

OMG... I wonder if the solenoid and valve could be installed in the 5r55n's as well. The solenoid in them suck ass and give up faster than the French in combat.

I was looking through one of my mustangs mags and stumbled across this. I would call to see if it fits on a 5r55n. They also give the name of a company that makes a deep tranny pan that holds more fluid (has drain plug and small cooling fins) -dom

Level Ten has been offering this stuff for the 5R55W, 5R55N, and 5R55S trannies for a few years now. Lentech also offers a stronger input shaft too, though I have heard nothing more on any further intentions. Art Carr also built a 5R55S to ohld to some very serious power also about 1.5 years ago. I posted something similar on modularfords.com a few years back for some of my S197 Mustang guys. I am glad to see that the LS community is finally starting to notice the mods that are actually available out there instead of just assuming that there is nothing. ;)

I am glad to see that the LS community is finally starting to notice the mods that are actually available out there instead of just assuming that there is nothing. ;)

An 8.8" rear with 3.73's or 4,10''s would be wonderful....

lol

Lentech advertised a few months ago about a direct swap for the 5R55S to a 4R70W - but since seemed to have gone quite about it....

http://www.lentechautomatics.com/5r55home.html

It would be a big step in the wrong direction to go with a 4R70W from a 5R55S transmission. Less gearing, lots more parasitic loss, so on. The only reason it is really offered for the S197 Mustangs is if they are going for big power. I did the 5R to 4R swap in my other vehicle but only because I have plans for 1,000hp which the 5R cannot hold reliably at this time. Overall not a very good swap on the LS for more than a few reasons.

Another thing worth mentioning is that I am highly doubtful that the 5R55S tranny on the LS has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 5R55S from the S197 Mustang's. That would make for another very big "no-go".

A 5R55S might physically fit in your car, but the PCM won't be able to control it, so you won't be able to use it.

Level Ten builds the 5R55N transmissions too so there is always the option to have that built. The S,N,W trannies are so similar it is ridiculous so that stuff should be able to swap between all three without much problem if any.

Level Ten builds the 5R55N transmissions too so there is always the option to have that built. The S,N,W trannies are so similar it is ridiculous so that stuff should be able to swap between all three without much problem if any.

+1. I think it will really come down to the flash update of the ecm.

If you can get an OBD-II PCM to control a CAN tranny, you must be pretty damn good. ;)

Obviously this is not an OBD-II computer but PCS (Powertrain Control Solutions) has a controller that runs the 5R55S, N, W series transmissions standalone. My friend whom is also a performance shop owner, but based out of Alabama, served as the testbed and wrote the initial base tunefiles. He is running a standalone 5R55S out of a S197 4.0 Mustang in his Turbocharged 4.0 Explorer. That controller is a very good piece of equipment that has one heck of allot of great options on it. I have taken a look at the datalogs from it and I was impressed by the data. Either way, no reason to run a 5R trans off of anything else besides the PCM in these cars.

Well let me correct my correction which was incorrectly pointed out to me :) at least in part.

"The factory transmission is calibrated for soft, lazy shifts," Barrett says. "The calibration is so close that any modifications to the engine's power output causes the transmission to slip. The 5R55S needs calibration of the ECM, transmission, and torque converter to get the power to the wheels. Without combining the engine management to the transmission calibration, you won't have success with getting the car to use all of the available power you've put into it."

Members online

Back