98 Continental issue

298LSC

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
i own a 98 Continental and I’m have a voltage issue. Newer battery newer alternator both been tested good. I keep getting a issue with dimming lights radio will turn off by itself and turn back on. And from time to time if I drive it long enough the power steering will go out. Can’t seem to find the issue. Could it be my ground from the main wire to the battery?? I’m lost here

Check the fuses to see if their all good. May want to start there before you dive further. Could be something simple.

Check batter cable connections are they tight? Do they have any corrosion? Are they split or anything especially near the chassis grounds ect..

Are you low on power steering fluid? Might have to add some, or you might have air trapped in system. It uses Mercon V trans fluid in the power steering resivoire.

Check with the basics and then trouble shoot from there. If you have a good mechanic you trust take it to them.

Trans fluid full, fuses good. Battery terminals were corroded so I replaced both. Seemed to work for about 2 weeks then problem came back. So I’m thinking now replace the entire cable from battery to firewall.

These cars with computers don't like low voltage.
Low voltage can cause all kind of weird thing to happen.
I know you said the battery and alternator tested good.
But the first thing would be to do a quick check to confirm this.
What is the voltage reading across the battery terminals with the car not running and everything off??
{a fully charged battery should read 12.6 VDC}
What is the voltage reading across the battery terminals with the engine running?
{should be approx 13.5 to 14.5 VDC}

The voltage should 13VDC or above when driving the car with lights, A/C, wipers, etc. running.
This means the alternator output is enough to keep the battery charged, while delivering enough current to run the engine and the accessories.
If these numbers are good, then start checking for bad cables and bad grounds.

These cars with computers don't like low voltage.
Low voltage can cause all kind of weird thing to happen.
I know you said the battery and alternator tested good.
But the first thing would be to do a quick check to confirm this.
What is the voltage reading across the battery terminals with the car not running and everything off??
{a fully charged battery should read 12.6 VDC}
What is the voltage reading across the battery terminals with the engine running?
{should be approx 13.5 to 14.5 VDC}

The voltage should 13VDC or above when driving the car with lights, A/C, wipers, etc. running.
This means the alternator output is enough to keep the battery charged, while delivering enough current to run the engine and the accessories.
If these numbers are good, then start checking for bad cables and bad grounds.
I didn’t check them myself, shop around the corner did. I’ll have to stop back in and get the actual voltage readings. I know these Continental’s act real funny when voltage dips just a tad. My gut tells me it’s a bad ground somewhere. I’m gonna dig into it more this week. Thanks for the replies. I’ll update when I dig in more this week. It’s not my daily so that’s good

130A2107-78D2-49D0-9EC5-273631A62951.jpeg
4ABBDB24-1147-4345-A0B7-B2180821E7C3.jpeg
DE457893-8F91-4FFA-B5D8-B8C9DF7038FE.jpeg
4ABBDB24-1147-4345-A0B7-B2180821E7C3.jpeg

Dude your car is beautiful!! Keep up with it.

Myself and FlaOkie keep our cars on Deltran Battery Tenders when the cars are sitting. Might want to look at one of these to keep it on. Especially if your mechanic says the battery voltage drops.

Looks sinister with the windows tinted. :cool:

Thanks, I’ve owned the car nearly 10 years. 113k all original car one owner. Garage kept. She’s a cream puff

It is most likely a ground issue... but could also be an electrical drain.

Check for corrosion at the starter terminals while checking ground connections. There are probably multiple grounding points... possibly under the dash near the cluster.

Battery at rest should have 12.6 volts. Should be 14.1 with engine running and all accessories off.

To check for an electrical drain... disconnect negatve cable from battery... and clamp a voltmeter between the cable and negative terminal. Anything over 1-1.5 volts means you have power going straight to ground. This is with key off.

I had a similar problem with a Continental. With the AC on if the air compressor kicked on I would lose the power steering. New and fully charged batteries would fix it temporarily.
I finally added an additional 4ga wire from alternator+ to battery+ and another 4ga ground wire from alternator to chassis.
I never had the problem again.

Members online

No members online now.
Back