Rattling sound under acceleration

Joshawa

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey so I have a rattling sound under acceleration, my LS is a gen 2, so I don't think it's the tensioner/ chain, I only recall hearing it since my last fill up at the gas tank, and I'll be honest; I cheaped out and got regular for the first time, and I read in the search that that COULD be the culprit. Do you think if I got some octane booster it might solve my problem?

Like I said, it only happens under reasonable acceleration, not at idle really. What do you guys think?

I could try and upload a video documenting it. Let me know

Probably pinging. There's a reason it says 91+

Thanks Joe, always appreciate your confirmation. I'll buy some octane booster and take this as a lesson. I just confirmed with my partner that it's a new sound. I'll update later

It's somewhat difficult to hear, I was told its not pinging/knocking, like I said its definitely more of a rattle. Like someone put a toddler with a small toy in the front of my car

I couldn't make it out. I assume it doesn't do it while parked?

It does not do it while parked, and only under Hard acceleration. You can hear it at 0:05 to 0:07. a little rattle, and its coming from in front of me, that much I can tell.

Look at the motor mounts. Is there any stain under either one?

To be totally honest I'm not too positive what those look like, let me search the forum and Google to see if I can find a pic of the motor mounts and once I find out I'll let you know Joe thanks for the constant support

Same thing here. I worry that mine sounds like the timing chain rattling. Going to ask the dealer to ride along so I can show them next time.

Hard to hear, but sounds like pinging. Don't bother with octane booster, you're going to turn your 87 octane into 87.1 octane lol

Drive it easy, burn off the 87 gas and put 91 in it.

That said my 02 always pinged lightly under heavy acceleration. I always chalked it up to crap California gas.

If pinging under load, check the sensor on your mass air sensor. Pull the electronics out and see if it is coated. Had this on another car. Happens often with a k&n style filter.

Same thing here. I worry that mine sounds like the timing chain rattling. ...

That's very unlikely. I don't think you would hear it under that circumstance. Generally, you'd hear the timing chain slapping the valve cover on cold startup, with the hood up. It's not very loud. I don't think you could hear it in the car while driving. Pinging, you would hear. Mine, even with 93 octane, still pings a little in the right conditions, but I can only hear it with the radio off. Every once in a while, I get a tank of bad gas, and it pings so badly that everyone can hear it. Stations around here have been caught selling 87 octane as 93 octane. I used to report them, but even when the state would test it and catch them, it seemed like nothing much was done to them.

That's very unlikely. I don't think you would hear it under that circumstance. Generally, you'd hear the timing chain slapping the valve cover on cold startup, with the hood up. It's not very loud. I don't think you could hear it in the car while driving. Pinging, you would hear. Mine, even with 93 octane, still pings a little in the right conditions, but I can only hear it with the radio off. Every once in a while, I get a tank of bad gas, and it pings so badly that everyone can hear it. Stations around here have been caught selling 87 octane as 93 octane. I used to report them, but even when the state would test it and catch them, it seemed like nothing much was done to them.

No kidding? How can you tell?

No kidding? How can you tell?

By the pinging and loss of power. That said, one time I was wrong. They tested it and said the octane was correct, but the gasoline at that station was badly contaminated with water. Apparently there's no penalty (here) for that. I never went back to that station. Before that, I didn't realize that a lot of water in the gas would also cause pinging. I still don't really understand why.

I get that same noise under heavy acceleration and it seems it really only happens when I use 91 from arco. When I use Shell gas I don't really notice it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back