Fixed My Moonroof Drains Today!!!!

gixxer1kr

LVC Member
Reaction score
Been raining for days here and my passenger side interior was soaked. It was pretty bad. Ended having to deal with the typical drain tube popping off. It was a pretty simple fix. Heated up the hoses with a heat gun and ended up using Oetiker Clamps. These Clamps came in very handy!!! Highly recommend a nice array if you fix things!!!!!!

IMG_0288.jpg

Can you post another pic from a bit further back?

I can't tell exactly where you are zeroing in on.

Thanks.

I did the same with mine but used safety wire wrapped 720 degrees around the hose. Stepless ear clamps are a great way to fasten hoses, but I'm sure most of us can't find them locally.

Nice, funny you had to do that as well right now from the rain. My drivers side has come undone, all the rain is just pouring in. I left a mcdonalds cup under it to catch the drips, and in a 9 hour period, the cup was basically full.

Right I guess all these cars are a clone for the known issues!!!!

You aren't kidding! I don't know of any problem thread where someone has said "Hm, never heard of that before" lol!

Cooling system, trans solenoids, (1st gen) hydraulic fan pump, sunroof drains, coils, dccv's, lugnuts, cat converters, climate control panels, and a million more. Its like every single LS will have the issues in its lifetime, only thing different is when.

yeah, if you have some other angles, or more pics, post em up. i need to do this very thing.
any details on the steps you went through ?

Yes. My sunroof leaks, but it's not a serious problem.

We here in north Jersey have a simple, low cost/low effort natural fix for sunroof leaks. We just don't get a lot of rain anymore.

That's the good news.

The bad news, we just don't get a lot of rain anymore.

That's a pic I found online with the head liner removed. As you can see there are tubes that connect to the moonroof that allow the water to drain. I guess over time from heat -expansion and contraction- eventually the tubes pull loose. The rear ones supposively don't but my passenger side was completely off and the driver side was almost off allowing all that water to run down the pillar and soak everything. Easiest way to fix this it is to remove both pillar coves that go from the roof to the dash board. Remove the handles that are on the head liner,remove the clips that hold the sun visors and remove the screws allowing the sun visors to hang . There are wires that go to the lights in the mirrors on the visors. This will allow u the room to the pull the headliner back to get to everything.As you can see I used Oetiker Clamps that are very cheap on eBay. I used a heat gun to warm the tubes so they would stretch back onto the tubes and reach and I then clamped the hoses on. Took less than an hour and they will never come loose again.

Don will find a cap of sorts to loosen I'm sure of it.

I fixed my drain with a short extension of vacuum hose and a double nipple.

2 years later, it now leaks differently. It seems that if it rains heavily enough, the water floods the trough, spills over the front channel lip, and drains into the headliner and dome lights. It doesn't even make it to the pillars unless I dump a whole bottle in the channel

I was concerned about that when I fixed mine. I was afraid that it would clog at the coupler, if it was the smallest point. So, I made sure to select one with an ID slightly bigger than the tube coming out of the drain gutter. So far, so good. However, I am still a little concerned.

the last time I had to make a repair, I though the tube had came undone again, but actually it got clogged, but not at the point where the junction was at, much closer to the top hole in the drain pan. was a bitch to get unplugged since the is another piece of plastic at the top and I couldn't get the air compressor blower to make enough of seal to blow it out. ended up unhooking the tube and blowing the sh!t out the top.

been good ever since.

was a bitch to get unplugged since the is another piece of plastic at the top and I couldn't get the air compressor blower to make enough of seal to blow it out.

Hence why I haven't tried that yet...

I was concerned about that when I fixed mine. I was afraid that it would clog at the coupler, if it was the smallest point. So, I made sure to select one with an ID slightly bigger than the tube coming out of the drain gutter. So far, so good. However, I am still a little concerned.

I'll file that under "things I didn't know I was going to get concerned about today". Makes sense. I guess dirt buildup could still cause enough restriction to eventually cause a clog though. Looks like I'll be dropping the headliner sometime soon to investigate

Im dreading fixing these stupid hoses more than I am dreading replacing and bleeding my cooling system.

From going through this thread, I believe that some have simply put the upper end of the hose back in place and put a clamp of some sort on to hold it. And some have found the hose to be too short and had to install an extension to the hose. Does anyone have any idea as to what's causing the difference in hose length? Could the hose be simply tugged up a bit so as to fit properly or is the lower end of the hose fixed in some manner?

KS

I couldn't pull mine up enough to reach (I didn't try heating it). I pulled hard enough that was worried that I would tear the hose if I pulled any harder.

From going through this thread, I believe that some have simply put the upper end of the hose back in place and put a clamp of some sort on to hold it. And some have found the hose to be too short and had to install an extension to the hose. Does anyone have any idea as to what's causing the difference in hose length? Could the hose be simply tugged up a bit so as to fit properly or is the lower end of the hose fixed in some manner?

KS

on repair #1, I had to make during winter, the hose had shrunk far too much for me to pull it out enough. then the next repair on that side was done during summer and I was able to stretch it out and use a small clamp.

Members online

No members online now.
Back