In need of some direction on a tuner for my project build

jruppert

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I am building an AC Cobra and I am using a 4.6 from a 97 Mark VIII. I managed to get the engine, the harness at engine and through firewall and the computer. Since this has PATS, I will need to disable. I would like to get a tuner and not sure which direction I should go. The only experience I have with a tuner is with a Tweecer RT that I used extensively in a Mustang 351w that I had for around 10-12 years. I have heard good things about SCT but I am completely lost as to how I should approach things.

If I buy an SCT, are they all the same? If I buy one that is advertised with a Mustang, will this work? I have also heard of BAMA tunes but I am clearly not understanding the point of free tunes for life. If I purchase a tuner from them, aren't I able to make changes to my tune? So where do the free tunes come from?

I could go with a tweecer again. My reason for shying away is that I would like to be able to take this to a tuner at some point to get a good dyno tune.

Also, if I go with an SCT, am I able to change mass air meters? I do not have the stock Mark VIII mass air. Should I acquire another stock unit or can I go with a Mustang one? I know with the tweecer, I could go in and tell it what meter I had and it would make its changes and then I could fine tune further if I wanted.

Thanks

I will have an sct xcal3 with tunes for 97 mark viii for sale if interested , tunes from torrie at fast parts network

I will have an sct xcal3 with tunes for 97 mark viii for sale if interested , tunes from torrie at fast parts network

I might be interested. How many uses does it have left on it?

Now.. going back to my original post.. I don't understand why one would need someone to pay for a tune. I guess I just dont understand the concept of the SCT. With the tweecer, you can read the eec and modify it. Are you able to do this with an SCT? Would I be able to plug in an SCT, read the eec, and disable PATS, EGR, rear o2, change gear ratio, and timing? If so, then what else does a paid tune do?

Also, I do not have the factory mass air. I suppose I can purchase a used one. Would the cobra or GT setup be better? Can SCT make adjustments for the mass air? I know the tweecer can.

My end plan is to put on C heads and a 99+ Cobra intake. By doing this, would it take away from what you have done in your tune?

You will need the handheld of your choice, doesn't really matter until you go to data log. I have a X2 and X4. The X4 is more cooperative when tying in wideband data. You will also need a software license from SCT for another $350. At that point it will be similar to other software you have used. You can manipulate the MAF transfer function, TRANS shifting etcetera. Gear ratio seems to be a dead spot in the software. It changes nothing from my experience in my 98 Mark. Others may have had better results but I would have to question it seriously especially on a 98 with a BTC0 computer.

Du

Not to resurrect an old thread, but I'm curious to know; What's with the ECUs that have a BTC0 computer?

Others may have had better results but I would have to question it seriously especially on a 98 with a BTC0 computer.

Du

I have 2 '97s(K4 & BA) but in 2015 got a '98(WF) that I'm thinking about getting the SCT-X4 from Temple Performance to let the WF "waken up" a bit, but I noticed that the ECU in the WF is this BTC0 mentioned here.

Google didn't come up with much except for a thread from some tuning forum where some guy "made a cmba0 strategy but" didn't "have a bin and the only bin for the cmba0 strat is BTC0 only for the 98 Mark". The thread didn't reveal much but certainly intrigued me even more.

So if anyone can chime in, what is there to question about using a flash tuner with an ECU carrying the BTC0?

Members online

No members online now.
Back