Window tint

Jeffintampa

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I spent last weekend steaming off 2 layers of tint off my mark. It really started to look bad with rips and kind of wash boarded on the window. I need to have some put back on Florida and all.

I have a 96 black on black lsc what percent looks good and any one with pics would help. I am also wondering what you paid going to start shopping the service.

Thank you
Jeff

Howd the steamer do? I just did mine with a heat gun and it took forever. It took like 6 hours just to do front and rear. Gave up on rear sides

With FL I don't know the rules they may be a lot like AZ where it is a common place and the level of light through is not as closely monitored.

I got a quote last fall for $225 for all the windows, except windshield. Word of caution on the level. On my old BoB mark I went the darkest "limo" all the way around, 15-20% iirc. It looked awesome. It was dark enough that you could pull next to a cop and pull a bong hit and slam a beer and he would never know. This brings to the first problem. After about a year I got pulled over for tinted windows when going through a neighboring county. Evidently it is a big problem for them. Got a ticket $250, they put the boxes to measure the light let through. Two weeks later I drove through the area again, stopped again. He let me off considering I just got a ticket from them, I showed them the citation and I haven't had my court date yet.
The local tint place will know what the laws are. Flash forward a decade. I have another BoB Mark. They reccoemnd that I go legal (35%?) on driver and passenger doors. The coupe windows and rear you can do what ever you want, rear of the driver is the key. This place said to just to the sides as our body lines and field of view provides good coverage and it would save me $75.
For the record the first place told me I was going to get a hard time from the 5.0.

With mine, I went to 5% on quarters and rear, and 25% on fronts (legal is 35%) - I have a prairie tan interior - so its a light color - I wouldn't go less than legal with a Bob.

Steamer

Howd the steamer do? I just did mine with a heat gun and it took forever. It took like 6 hours just to do front and rear. Gave up on rear sides

Steamer did great, there were two sheets on my car, not sure if one was stock or what.

Thanks guys

I think 20% would be good. With black interior it'll look darker from the outside vs 20% on tan.. Anything lower and you'll have visibility issues. I had limo on 2 cars, never again.

I had 5% limo tint on a vehicle before, never again! Had to roll the windows down just to turn a corner. This time I have 20% factory tint all around on the back so I thought I'd go with 20% on the ds/ps windows and I know it's illegal but it matches the factory tint perfect and I can see at night! I would suggest no less then 20%! 35% is almost like it's not there.

I have limo tint on the K4 & WF, it looks great and works well for some private moments in the whip, but often though I do wish I'd gone with 10-15%.

The BA has 35% and it is kind of disappointing as it's petty much "see-thru" and only looks somewhat tinted at night. Like it's trying to be tinted but just can't make it.

It really all depends on the cops attitude that particular day. I've always had limo on the rear window and the two in the back I went with one shade darker than legal on my passenger windows and haven't had a problem. Speaking from experience though at night time you really can't see anything out the windows if you go limo or something comparative. I'm in Florida pretty much everyone has darker than legal tint but where I'm from in Massachusetts still pull you over for just about anything same thing with Maryland. Used to be you had to be pulled over for something else but now they just want to see what's going on in the car

Thanks all will go nice with the new paint car.jpg

car.jpg

Members online

Back