SC Tubing/Plumbing Heeeeeellllllp

OU812IC

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I can't get the cast aluminum Vortech stuff to fit like I was hoping. I am starting to think that some of the challenges I am having that others seemed to breeze through has to to do with using a Vortech bracket and a Paxton 1500.

I can only find a 4" throttle body Boot adapter that is 4" and it is from Spectre 9791. I search all over hell and can't seem to find a 3". I get the feeling to run 4" from the outlet to the TB is too much.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have! I am getting down to the last little bit and it is killing me!!!

Ordered my dual pass custom radiator and fans from Dillion Radiator today. NO MORE problems in that area, I hope!

It will have driver side inlet and outlet with a passenger side bleeder fitting. They are going to add a drain fitting on the passenger tank for e as well. They are going to make the shroud and install the fans also. The fans are the "hiogh Performance" Spal. we verified part number on he phone. I should be well into the 3000 CFM range. I am about $500-525 lighter than an hour ago. LOL.. Radiator, Shroud, Fans and shipping. Very help full and seemed to be appreciative of a budget during the COUNCELTATION. Not a salesman but a real guy. I even asked for up grades and he talked me out of adding brackets and wiring.

Will Post picks when I get it. Any luck I will have it Friday. If not.. Monday. Jason was real kool on the phone and understood what I was trying to accomplish.

What I really liked was that he reassured me that I am not going to get cheap crap fans and so on. Jason and i compared fan model numbers and they are on the same page. No Bull sh!t... !!!

If I remember right, the stock mark viii fan has a higher cfm than 3000 (I could be off on that though).

Hope everything works out for ya. :bestwishe

I think I will be OK. Two 12" high performance Spal fans in the 2000-2500 cfm range each that pull air all the way across the radiator, compared to one fan pulling in the middle savaging air from the sides across the middle. these are NOT the cheap crap off eBay for $9 a piece. He said these are the same fans they have used many times over on much higher power applications and have had excellent results.
My bigger problem I could really use some help with is what size tube to use to go from the SC outlet to the TB? The oval TB adapter is 4" tube. The SC outlet is 3". Do I do 4" from the sc to the tb with an adapter at the sc or do I run 3" with adapters at the tb?

Really appreciate you guys looking out for me!

Forgot... While researching I found in a couple of articles on fans... There is about a 1:1 ratio for amps to cfm. The Spals I have coming are in the 22-24 amp range at 13 volts IIRC.

I'm wondering if you could piece something together from a CAI kit for a '96-'98 Cobra, like from JLT, C&L or BBK?

What diameter pipe do you think Driller?

Was able to consult with a tuner today. The concensus is that while the 4" will flow more air, CFM, I will loose out a lot of low end with my SC combo. My take-away was that I would not be under boost soon enough, low RPM. He also stated that with me dumping the cast setup from Vortech, really about 2.5", and going to true 3" that would be best, adapter by the TB to match up to the 4" boot. I may loose a little velocity down low but nothing I would likely miss.

I would use a 3x4 adaptor at the supercharger and then 4" to the throttle body.

Long story short, you will have friction loss with an expander but less of an overall reduction of flow in the same length of the 4" versus the 3". You have to go from 3 to 4 regardless, so that friction loss will be the same. It's the remainder of the piping that will determine the overall friction loss.

Edit:

Your tuner would have to show me the math or put it on a flow bench to have me believe putting the 3x4 adaptor at the throttle body would be better. :shifty:

I think you are both saying the same thing. He says to go from the SC outlet with 3" (same size as outlet) and at the TB increase to 4" to match the rubber adapter. Right? Or are you saying get a 4" adapter at the SC outlet and carry that all the way to the TB with 4"? From the way he says if I do that I will loose my lowend torque a bit. I do have the 410s so that could help with the RPMs coming up quicker right? I could put a smaller pulley on?
If I understood him right, with the 4" having a greater volume for the SC to fill at the lower RPM I would not achieve boost, manifold under pressure, till a higher RPM.
I think some of this is trial and error to a degree. I would have to think someone out there has ran 4" all the way. I have a good 16-20 hours searching and reading and can't find anything out there mark or mustang that has anything bigger than 3" from the outlet to the TB. I think the 4" rubber adapter at the TB was done so more for the NA cold air intake guys... IDK.

Like most modifications, there are compromises to be made between the best low end performance and WOT in the power band. You cannot maximize one without impacting the other.

Members online

No members online now.
Back