LS as future collector

Lseme

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Is it possible the LS could see collector status ? Why not ? Short production run, parts hard to get, cult following it has all the ingredients for a future collectible. I was reading an article about jay Leno and his thoughts on the next great collectible cars and while the LS didn't make his list he had some interesting vehicles on it. Among those the Aztek, 1st gen taurus & prius, honda insight. I could see the LSE (either gen) being a sought after vehicle.

I think any car with a production at or near 250k units or less has collectible potential. Unless of course it's a Yugo or AMC Pacer.

Thunderbird, maybe... but I highly doubt that the LS will make it to that kind of status.

Never. For one thing the LS is a 4-door. It's also not really anything special.

Ditto, it's a basic Euro copy plastic fantastic without a Euro following. What is interesting is the lack of interest in '94-'04 Mustangs. It appears that they suffered the same black sheep stigma as the Mustang II's. The stuff before and after performed better.

The LS is an interesting car but it really doesn't do anything unique or in a spectacular manner.

well early SN-95's were not really anything special, but Terminators are still pretty popular and are still highly sought after...

I tried to insure my LS with Hagerty. They turned me down. Because there was not enough info on the LS.

I tried to insure my LS with Hagerty. They turned me down. Because there was not enough info on the LS.

I have insured with Hagerty.

they DO tend to question over insurance.

like when i told them my Vette was worth 2x book because of paint.

I agree, not a collector. The Reatta was an even shorter run car, was a 2 seater sports car, owners have to hand craft replacement parts, and has a unique profile but it's not a collector because it's a low performance front wheel drive. The Reatta was even one of the first cars that had a functional touchscreen control system although it sucked hard to use. Had they made it a rear wheel drive V8 like the engineers wanted to though, Reattas would be worth about 200K each right now. Damned bean counters made them go front wheel drive with a low power 3800 because they didn't want any Corvette competition.

Even a 49 Plymouth can become a collector car after 60-70 years, but it will not get huge dollars.

I have an LS and a retro TBird. The retro might get some decent dollars after 25 years, but not the LS.

Anyway, doesn't matter much to me. I probably won't be around to cash the check.

I wonder if the V6/Getrag might become a collector? Actually anything with a manual tranny might be a collector soon since they're even rare as hen's teeth on most new cars.

Members online

Back