"mail-order" tuner

redhot97

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1997 markviii base, I was looking for a good recommendation on a tuner or some sort of programming. I have the air box modded and plan on doing an exhaust and Jmod on it. I'm located in western MD and not looking to travel all over for dyno tuning. My goals for the car and getting it tuned is getting a little more power and maybe even slightly better mpg. So basically just a Cruiser that has a little more over stock. I know SCT is about the way to go, just asking for suggestions on what kind and where to purchase it.
Thanks, Brad.

I was thinking about contacting him, or a SCT X4 from Mark VIII Muscle (Temple Performance). But I've read lots of good things about Lonnie's Tunes. Thanks

the only difference being when you order from Mark 8 muscle it's $25 cheaper and they write you a custom tune included given the same parameters that you would give Blue Oval. Blue oval charges for 25 without a tune that you have to pay extra for just to use it the preloaded tunes do not work with our March 8 so no matter what tuner you buy you'll have to get a custom tune which can still adjust using the user parameters. The only tuner that is plug and go for the mark 8 is the sniper s 5000 Special Forces tuner you can get from Gino at LMS for 360 and still order custom tunes it will allow youadjust all the same parameters shift firmness gear ratio tire size exhaust excetera and is very easy to use. I had the sniper for my last mark 8 but has been stolen and I'm going to get a new one instead of the SCT but they both work on the same field the tune is only as good custom wise as the person who writes it yes Lonnie is probably the best added but you'll be paying the 425 + about 100 125 more for the custom tune but it can still be used as a starting point and adjusted if you go to the SCT website and look up the X 4 part number 7015 44 gas it shows you the custom adjustable files you can play with. Like I said the only difference is paying for an extra tune be sniper is program to write the tune file for you giving your inputs that it asks for plus their customer service is easy to use pat is always available and they're located in north Florida since I'm in Fort Lauderdale there right down the road. If money is not an object sure Lonnie probably writes the best tunes but if you go to change something you'll probably need to have to write another custom file for it

If I were in your shoes I would get in touch with Driller who lives in WV and find out where he has been for a shop Dyno tune. Why buy a bunch of hardware you will probably never use once your chip is burned. A good SCT tune shop can reburn your chip and add adjust for any of the idiosyncrasies your car may have (they all have them). Much easier to tune for power or MPG on a chassis dyno than hit and miss mail order, although I will admit that Lonnie has the most experience with successful mail order tunes. Just my 2 cents.

he doesn't have a chip he's got a 97 needs a tune For a tuner I mean he could spend the money at a shop but getting the thing on the dyno tune are having a tune installed will cost in the same amount as buying it to an hour and shops are going to charge 100 or more an hour for just using the dyno then paying for a tune that so either way it's going to end up spending the same money and in the end if you want to change something you can adjust it with the tuner in the car.I have yet to see a shop in South Florida that charges less than $100 for two poles on a dyno and that's just for the polls that's not for the making a custom tune that cost extra usually another hundred fifty to two hundred.. blow by racing and Mustang specialties charge around 80 to 100 an hour for their mechanics and then 1-200 for the tune I've seen the advertisement for the dyno tuning for about 400.no shop will let you come in and just write a tune for your car without purchasing a programmer unless you use their dyno tune so they can to in the car correctly,unless you have your own tuner already and they can write the program

2014-08-12-14-44-48.jpg

This is the cheapest walk in dynotune

Lonnie's tunes are better, an it is worth whatever the price difference is.

if you're just doing mail order, Lonnie can't be beat on this platform.

since you have a OBD2 car, he'll set up the flash tuner and send it you, then if you require any small tweaks, he can just email the update to you, and you can flash the car again.

from what I've heard I have to say that Lonnie comes highly recommended from everybody and I was in favor of ordering a tuner just trying to show the difference in buying a tuner and having a dyno tune done still having to buy the tuner.also Blue Ovalis carrying the SCT x4. tuner which only allows user adjustment for 99 and up vehicles for some reason so if he makes a change he will have to order a new flash the parameters usually include gear change tire size shift points shift firmness and others that you can see on the Blue Oval site and from SCT SF 3 tuners still allow user adjustments available with the custom tune no matter what year the vehicle

from what I've heard I have to say that Lonnie comes highly recommended from everybody

correct.

also Blue Ovalis carrying the SCT x4. tuner which only allows user adjustment for 99 and up vehicles for some reason

incorrect. the X4 tunes vehicles 96 on up. as per his website.

SCT SF 3 tuners still allow user adjustments available with the custom tune no matter what year the vehicle

incorrect. the X3 loads tunes to a computer. it doesn't tune. it just loads the tune. same with the X4.
the SCT Pro Racer Package is extra, and always has been.

the "user adjustable features" are limited in quantity and limited to specific vehicles canned tunes. ie, not the Mark VIII.

Redhot97, give Blue Oval Chips a call. he can do whatever is needed to tune your vehicle. he personally owns a very fast Mark VIII and is quite familiar with the platform and engine.

correct.

incorrect. the X4 tunes vehicles 96 on up. as per his website.

incorrect. the X3 loads tunes to a computer. it doesn't tune. it just loads the tune. same with the X4.
the SCT Pro Racer Package is extra, and always has been.

the "user adjustable features" are limited in quantity and limited to specific vehicles canned tunes. ie, not the Mark VIII.

Redhot97, give Blue Oval Chips a call. he can do whatever is needed to tune your vehicle. he personally owns a very fast Mark VIII and is quite familiar with the platform and engine.
no they are correct there for 96 and up Ford gas vehicles not included are the Lincoln Mark 8 models as is clearly shown on there compatibility compatibility diagram the main result is he'll still have to buy a tuner regardless what do you buy the x4 or the SF 3 and if you go to the SCT website explains what parameters can be adjusted including gear ratio shift firmness shift points on 99 and up vehicles some 96of models including Mustangs and Ford trucks yes that was one of my questions to the SDT technician if it's available for all parameters on the 96 to 98 Cobra why not the Lincoln Mark 8 from 97 and 98 to do with the manufacturer of the computer

http://www.blueovalchips.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=400
it's all right there"as per his website "of all people Chris I figured you wouldn't miss the details once he gets the programmer heating load any custom tune anyone including those of any parameter but once he's got it he can not change anything only 99 and up vehicles he will require another tune.and that's straight from the Blue Oval site I spoke at length with the people at SCT end of the same answers.
and yes the custom tunes are loaded via computer into the programmer but as the screen shows you especially new to the x4 on the screen when you load the tune it will walk through the user adjustable parameters on the tuner screen itself and is alsoaccessible via wifi if you're so inclined the user adjustable parameters I spoke of yes will work on 96 and up vehicles only if they're on the list.none of the canned tunes will work on the Lincoln but will on the vehicles on the list along with the cantons and the custom tunes once they are loaded can be fine tuned via the handheld programmer on the vehicles supported bye the programmer

if it's available for all parameters on the 96 to 98 Cobra why not the Lincoln Mark 8 from 97 and 98

not the same engine, not the same transmission, not the same car.
DLF had to make quite a few tweaks to his Cobra tune to make it work on his cobra intaked Mark VIII. so there is no reason it would even be close on a non manual, non cobra intaked, non mustang, Mark VIII.
and no one is going to make a canned tune for the Mark VIII. no demand.

on changing the tunes with an X4, or any other flash tuner, Lonnie isn't about to send you an unencrypted tune. no one sends unencrypted tunes out, its not just Lonnie.
and since its gonna be encrypted, you ain't gonna be changing it. you will need access to an unencrypted file and the PRP for that.

the "supported vehicles" are just the ones the have canned, adjustable tunes for. they're new and high volume enough for it to be worth developing a tune for. about half the list are various F Series trucks.
IE, not the Mark VIII.

This is why I suggested he contact Driller for recommendation of a shop near him. Unless you are a "Joe Racer" you aren't going to be playing around with re-tunning or adjusting the car. An experienced tuner keeps copies of his files and his successful applications and will tweak the to suit. He can re-flash your stock chip.

exactly my point. If one Lonnie or anybody makes a custom tune for the Lincoln Mark that's what you get and if you want to change it you have to get a new tune because it's not on the supported vehicles.as for my reference to the Mustang Cobras and why not the market that was a rhetorical question seeing as they were both basically the same motor that's more of a company glitch he was asking 4 the best tune for the dollar and I think we covered all the options there is only one complete user adjustable tuner out there and that's B Deltaforce sniper software which can be upgraded to commando like the SC tuners can be upgraded no matter what he still looking at a baseline of 425 to start whether hebuys a tuneror goes to the dyno tune to pay for the tuner anyway I'm stadying that Mark 8 muscle is specifically designed for the March 8 I haven't heard anybody comment on their mark 8 custom program but you give them all the pertinent information as you would give Lonnie for what you have in your car and they write you a custom tune for it included in the price. blue oval charges for the programmer and then additional for the custom tune.it just sucks that the mark 8 even just the 97 and 98 models where left off everybody's list 4 out of the box tuning 4 beginners or someone not looking for complete control

Members online

Back