Lincoln LS Gas Mileage

My 02 LS8 only gets 22-23 on the highway. 50k miles. New Coils, Plugs, and Valve Cover Gaskets. I once got 26 when I first got it and then the mileage seems to have gone to **** and I don't know why. I originally thought it was just because of the sentas, but, the mileage has not returned even when I switched back to stock wheels

My 02 LS8 only gets 22-23 on the highway. 50k miles. New Coils, Plugs, and Valve Cover Gaskets. I once got 26 when I first got it and then the mileage seems to have gone to **** and I don't know why. I originally thought it was just because of the sentas, but, the mileage has not returned even when I switched back to stock wheels

What other weight are you carrying around? As in audio equipment.......

About 20# over what was in it factory. When I had the valve covers off, it was the cleanest engine I've ever seen inside. I'm driving 1700 miles next week. I'm going to clean the maf and see what happens. (I'm sure I cleaned it when I did the valve covers though

Also, what octane gasoline? Stock intake? Speed? Interstate with no stop and go?
91 Ethanol Free. I'm at 5000 ft. Stock Everything. Strictly interstate. The part that bugs me most is I got 26 on a highway trip the week I got the car and have never been able to get close to since

And what brand fuel? Top-Tier? Ma & Pa's el Cheapo?
I work in the three refineries that supply fuel around here. I use Cenex usually. Sometimes ExxonMobil. Always Ethanol Free

Altitude will have an effect as the air is thinner. It will be even worse in the summer.
Ironically, the car seems to get better mileage the faster I go. The gears on the first gens are way too tall. On the instant trip, instant getter 1.5 mpg better at 90 than I do at 70.. I got up to 23.0 doing 90 over a 60 mile stretch

Here are some sites on altitude induced power loss. Looks like you're looking at a 15%-20% power loss at 5K feet. There is a corresponding loss of MPG, though I don't know that formula.....

Here are some sites on altitude induced power loss.
I understand the loss from altitude. The puzzling part is when I achieved 26 when I first got it and then longer came close. I'll track my mileage to Ohio and see what happens. I also pumped the 16s up to 38# to see if there's a difference. I have a list of all ethanol free stations so I'll try to strictly run ethanol free along the way

Might be the car called for more throttle opening to make up for the lack of power, which reduces pumping losses as the throttle plate acts as a restriction which makes the car have to work harder to draw in air. To experience the effects for yourself breathe through a straw, then without. It's a lot harder to draw in air through the straw.

My own car is getting around 18.5 now, but I spend a lot of my life at 40MPH these days as I generally go to work and back these days and it's all low speed roads.

Might be the car called for more throttle opening to make up for the lack of power, which reduces pumping losses as the throttle plate acts as a restriction which makes the car have to work harder to draw in air. To experience the effects for yourself breathe through a straw, then without. It's a lot harder to draw in air through the straw.

My own car is getting around 18.5 now, but I spend a lot of my life at 40MPH these days as I generally go to work and back these days and it's all low speed roads.
I might do some datalogs through torque at 70 and at 90 just for ****s and giggles

Members online

Back