Stupid question, can a non HID headlight assembly be used in an LS wired for HID?

DrewSG

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Just want to know. I don't have the $500 or so to replace the HID assembly that was smashed during an accident, so is it possible to buy the regular halogen lamps so I can drive my car at night without worrying about being pulled over.

Doesn't it still have the factory wire harness the halogen plugs into? Mine are hid and my balast is connected to the battery and then to the factory wiring for signal, check to see what your balast is plugged into, I can unplug mine and out in the old bulbs whenever I want but I don't know how yours is set up

Yes you can use a regular head lamp housing. The only problem here is that you'll probably risk burning the housing due to the heat the HID bulbs give off. At least this is what I was told by an auto body shop. I have no personal experience with this happening and I personally use an AFTERMARKET HID conversion kit on stock halogen housings and have not had a problem other than the glare it gives on other drivers. Personally I don't care since there are thousands of other people doing it. :cool:

Might want to water sand both lenses so they look evenly bright.

I'm pretty sure he is asking if he can replace a factory HID assembly with a factory Halogen assembly, not modify a factory Halogen to be a HID. BTW, HIDs are 35 W and Halogens are 50W. The HIDs put out less heat than the Halogens.

Anyway, the answer is that yes you can. You will have to file off one of the plastic keying nubs on the car's connecter, and then you are good.

$500 is a really good price. It must be a used one. The best that I have seen for new is about $1200.

I'm pretty sure he is asking if he can replace a factory HID assembly with a factory Halogen assembly, not modify a factory Halogen to be a HID. BTW, HIDs are 35 W and Halogens are 50W. The HIDs put out less heat than the Halogens.

Anyway, the answer is that yes you can. You will have to file off one of the plastic keying nubs on the car's connecter, and then you are good.

$500 is a really good price. It must be a used one. The best that I have seen for new is about $1200.

Thanks, so it's pretty much plug and play? I can buy this and it'll work after filing off the nubs? http://www.amazon.com/TYC-20-5860-01-Lincoln-Headlight-Assembly/dp/B002R1NR78#productDetails

How fast you need one?

asap

Yep. I just checked. You have a 2003, correct?
If so, that gen I headlight is not a good choice.

Someone on here is also selling a pair of OEM HIDs for a legit price.

Members online

No members online now.
Back