failsafe code

latonya

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I really like my car but the failsafe keeps kicking in. I have replaced the tps sensor on the throttle body. Was told that was the problem. It's not, when the failsafe kicks in the engine is still running but car will not go, it's like the transmission disengages, I have to coast out of traffic put car in park, turn off engine for a few seconds, restart and all is good, may have to do this a few times n a few miles and may not do it again for a good while. Today in between failsafe issues once it just bogged down like it wasn't getting fuel but then it started running well and I drove it home. If anyone has any advise I will appreciate it. This usually happens during acceleration and can be dangerous.

What's the temp gauge doing when the car goes into failsafe mode? I'm betting the coolant is overheating and that's what triggers it.

Is this a V8? Have you had any codes read? What you described had happened to me some time back. It was a marginal coil that was failing (under stress).I think they mis-identified it as a throttle body sensor on mine as well.

What's the temp gauge doing when the car goes into failsafe mode? I'm betting the coolant is overheating and that's what triggers it.

He/She's talking about ETC (electronic throttle) failsafe, not failsafe cooling. The two are very different.

Is this a V8? Have you had any codes read? What you described had happened to me some time back. It was a marginal coil that was failing (under stress).I think they mis-identified it as a throttle body sensor on mine as well.

Yes, this is a common problem. If latonya would post the exact codes being stored, it would help. Still, the best bet is to replace the COPs (Coil On Plug ignition coils) and the spark plugs. This is true for the V6 as well as the V8.

I really like my car but the failsafe keeps kicking in. I have replaced the tps sensor on the throttle body. Was told that was the problem. It's not, when the failsafe kicks in the engine is still running but car will not go, it's like the transmission disengages, I have to coast out of traffic put car in park, turn off engine for a few seconds, restart and all is good, may have to do this a few times n a few miles and may not do it again for a good while. Today in between failsafe issues once it just bogged down like it wasn't getting fuel but then it started running well and I drove it home. If anyone has any advise I will appreciate it. This usually happens during acceleration and can be dangerous.

EXACTLY the symptom my wife's LS exhibited with a failing coil. Search and you will find threads on this. Like Joe said. Replace ALL the coils and plugs. The coils (or a coil; generally #4) are failing under stress sending out RF interference and confusing the PCM.

My car just started doing this last night on the way home from getting my wheels and tires put on (Thanx LS4me!). I pulled over, shut the car off, restarted it and it came back on again after driving for just a few seconds. I can turn it off by using the message center reset button but it will come back on after about 10 minutes. I've got coils and plugs at the house so I may try that first.

Has anyone else's car had a miss or anything while driving? Mine runs perfectly fine and the mileage on the way to work was right where it's always been.

My car just started doing this last night on the way home from getting my wheels and tires put on (Thanx LS4me!). I pulled over, shut the car off, restarted it and it came back on again after driving for just a few seconds. I can turn it off by using the message center reset button but it will come back on after about 10 minutes. I've got coils and plugs at the house so I may try that first.

Has anyone else's car had a miss or anything while driving? Mine runs perfectly fine and the mileage on the way to work was right where it's always been.

I just wanted to update what the problem was on my car......Somehow, a sensor was left unplugged when they did my wheels and tires. Can't for the life of me figure out why a sensor would have been left unplugged, but oh well.

Hey thanks LS4me for the info that it's the coils! Just got the ETC Engine Failsafe code myself today on my '04 LS V8. Took it right to the dealer and they appeared to be somewhat mystified by that code. Now I can be informed when I talk to the dealer tomorrow. Great to have this forum!

Hey thanks LS4me for the info that it's the coils! Just got the ETC Engine Failsafe code myself today on my '04 LS V8. Took it right to the dealer and they appeared to be somewhat mystified by that code. Now I can be informed when I talk to the dealer tomorrow. Great to have this forum!

If you have less than 100K miles, be sure to take this letter with you, and you shouldn't have to pay.
http://www.allstatetrucks.com/Recalls/cust satisfaction recalls/07m07/R07M07 dealer bulletin.pdf

Quick followup on the ETC Engine Failsafe message. Thanks, also, joegr. Dealer called and said they were replacing 7 out of 8 coils on my '04 LS V8, and that Ford had a notice out on this and that it would be fixed at no charge under the notice. Yesssss! (BTW, though my car is an '04, I bought it new in 2006 - yes, the dealer still had a brand new '04 on the lot in '06, so my warranty started in 2006, so I'm not 10 years past warranty start yet. So, yay! the notice still applied.) Do I ever love my LS! Especially the V8. Love that V8.

you should call them and tell them to just go ahead and replace the 8th coil while they are at it... well worth the price if they are gonna cover the other 7. also you really dont want to have all new coils except for one.

also you didn't mention it but they also need to replace the plugs in those cylinders. I would make sure that they are doing that.

I just had an ETC engine fail safe code pop up today. However, my experience was a bit different. I started the engine today and the idle shot up to almost 2000 rpm for about five seconds before dropping to the normal warm up idle (~1000 rpm). The etc engine code popped up almost immediately. I waited a few seconds after the idle returned to normal to put the car in reverse. The R showed up on the display but the car didn't move. I then shifted into drive and the car did actually shift I to gear. So I shifted back into reverse and this time it worked fine. I drove it around the block without issue. I got home, turned off the car, and then started the engine again. This time, no code showed up. I then proceeded to run an errand and all went well.

The engine was cold and the code didn't go away until I actually turned the car off. I know some people have resolved the issue by replacing the coils but in my case, I think the code really points to the issue, the electronic throttle control. I believe this because the idle shot up as if I had my foot on the pedal. The car has 165k miles. I cleaned the throttle body about 800 miles ago. I understand that if the coils are bad, they can mess with the computer, which could then somehow cause it to send the wrong signal to the throttle body. So I'm not dismissing the coils just yet.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Was today a foreshadowing of what's to come? Or is this just one of those "features" that comes with the car?

Members online

Back