MK8 saves Cobra

Right on the Mark

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My buddy has been a long time 5.0 fan but he noticed how well my mk8's run at the track and wanted to give a mod motor a shot. He picked up a 98 Cobra with an engine problem. I pulled engine down and decided we needed a new bullet. (cheap) Called up Bruce from this site and scored a cream puff 1997 mk8 engine with 91K. I turned my back and here is engine trying to turn into a cobra engine.
001_zps6fae61f0.jpg

Swapped on the cobra oil pickup ,3 main studs,windage tray, oil pan and oil cooler.
003_zpsf2b56ae5.jpg

Put in new plugs,new poly engine mounts and a Billet SFI 6 bolt flywheel and Spec stage 2 11 inch disc and PP that I got off the 3V I built my buddy that I switched him to a twin disc. All cleaned up and ready to drop in.
008_zps7feb1af2.jpg

All done and runs like a top. And yes I didn't swap in the cobra intake cams because I did all this for no cash for a friend.
031_zps6eba1c31.jpg

027_zps88b43bf6.jpg

Mark 8 power for the win.

The Mark Cobra!!!

Bad ass save!!! A good deed is best done unrewarded, to an extant that is.....

BTW, who is this cat, Bruce? Does he have access to our engines?

I may have to swap an engine as one of my two Marks is experiencing some knocking.

Nice job again!!

Thats awesome,though tell him to hold onto the old block with the cams and if the crank is still good. Also tell him his snake emblem on the fender is backwards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bothers the hell out of me when i see nice cobras and the badges are facing the rear lol..................nice sn95 cobra though

Thats awesome,though tell him to hold onto the old block with the cams and if the crank is still good. Also tell him his snake emblem on the fender is backwards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bothers the hell out of me when i see nice cobras and the badges are facing the rear lol..................nice sn95 cobra though

The block and cams are mine, crank is no good.(bummer) That's why we got new engine. He bought the car with the snakes on backwards. That is a huge pet peeve to him. They will be put on correct side ASAP. Wanted to get car running before any other mods. Car has 4.10's, magnaflow cat back and a nice billet shifter.
Pic from today with my cars and his cobra.
019_zpsfd9d53c6.jpg

I like that grayish mark, does that have 99 mustang gt rims on it? Or is it silver?

I like that grayish mark, does that have 99 mustang gt rims on it? Or is it silver?

Grayish pffftt! That is my world famous (lol) Standox "Imola Ice" car. Here she is when I first picked her up after a 10 year nap in a garage.
photo4_zps2dc8ae18.jpg
The car turns steel silver to willow green to a purple hue in different light. I was bummed those 18 inch Pirelli P Zero Rosso tires are flat spotted so that why I switched to the 2000 GT rims. This was before i lowered her.
029_zpse718e41c.jpg

Those stang wheels look 100 times better than the chromes did. :cool:

Those stang wheels look 100 times better than the chromes did. :cool:

Yeah the Avanti's are show car stuff. I will be cleaning them up and throwing some 245/40-18 on there instead of the 245/45-18 that are on there now to fit wheel well better.

Oh he went 13.66 in this car but thru the belt at the track.

It is interesting you mention this, my Mark squeals at high r.p.m. and I have worried about throw in a belt. Is that a problem I should be mindful about or should I be more worried about the rockers in my B heads at high rpm?

If it does throw one you are not going to be happy trying to drive with no power steering and an overheating engine. Get a new belt and belt tensioner, and keep current as a spare in the trunk if salvageable.

He had more problems then no PS and over heat. The belt tore the crank sensor wires right out of the engine. But of course I has another one for him. You don't have to worry about your rockers. I rev the heck out of my engine way more then you will ever do and no problems.

Members online

Back