Make 98 lsc faster?

NUTHINFAKE

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Used to own a 93 mark viii and lost after running through barricades and jumping a canal(still parked at my dads for a 63 ranchero engine swap)...fast forward 8 years and i now own a sweet 98 lsc with 74,xxx .the 93 seemed faster with tighter shifts...my new car is stock and i wanna play with it a little...any guys in phoenix wanna show me a cool car with mods to point my sights at? going to good guys car show tomorrow...maybe someone'll have some stuff...INTAKES,MUFFLERS,CHIPS?

ANYONE KNOW A GREAT THROATY SOUNDING MUFFLER FOR THESE?

I use the Magnaflow Bullets on an X piped system. Great sound

Chips are risky, they wiggle loose and the car freaks out, get an XCAL2 and a tune.
JMOD the trans.

After plowing your other Mark through various obstacles.. Maybe you should work on the Slow before the Go

Chips are risky, they wiggle loose and the car freaks out, get an XCAL2 and a tune.

40k with 0 zero issues, so no, they are not.

but flash tuners are better for the 2nd gens anyway.

gears, stall, cobra intake, exhaust, tune.

For the exhuast you could do a 3rd cat delete and put a x pipe in. Then your choice of muffler out back

For the intake I'd just remove the snorkel beneath the air box.

And a sct tuner with a good tune built in, that alone can get you to 93 levels.

Chips are fine for first gens but not second.

Best mods you can do to that car is to solid it up. IRS brace, firewall brace, K-member brace, sway bars and make sure all the steering components are solid. You do that and the car will feel like a current car.

For mods you need an XCAL2, mandrel bent exhaust systems pipes, X-pipe of choice (just depends on sound you want), mufflers of choice (again, just a sound thing), 3.73+ gears and a trac loc and that's about it until you get into the more serious stuff like Cobra plenum or a high stall convertor or a supercharger.

Don't fear the gear. 4.10's are mild on these cars. That and a good converter along with a tune to get rid of the torque management during shifts will go a long way and have it performing about as well as that 93 if not a bit better.

I'd stick with 3.73 unless you have a tune, but that's my personal preference. Had 4.10's on a stock car that I drove allot on the highway, so I switched to the 3.73 for a little more range.

From a stop light, those 4.10's made me giggle.

I just do not understand why anyone would pay the big bucks for a 2 1/2" mandrel bent exhaust system with any of the stock exhaust still in the system to include the manifolds. Look at how small the outlet on the stock manifolds are. And especially if you leave any of the stock pipes in it. Which you pretty much have to because 2 1/2" pipes are to big to directly flange it to the stock manifolds. They end up welding 2 1/2" pipes over the stock outlet so that it looks like 2 1/2" pipes but it isn't. Mine has Kooks headers but my brother did the rest of the exhaust in 2 1/2" pipe with a standard bender. But he did a good gob. Granted some shops can almost crush it but that is just there neglect. If I can get this kind performance from it I'm certain it is more than needed for a rather stock Mark VIII. I would bet that a well done 2 1/4" with a standard bender on a stock Mark VIII would perform as well as a 2 1/2" mandrel bent system added on. Anyway here is a picture of my exhaust and a video of it performance. Speaks for itself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIN7vhSlTJs

B1752.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back