Dang Oil Leak

jarrett88

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I have had an oil leak for about a few weeks now, I had my mechanic take a look at it while I had it in the shop for springs and he put a new oil filter on, thinking it was a defective filter. I had my car up with him for like a week and a half(cause the springs were being waited on and I didnt wanna drive it til they were done) and finally got it back a few days ago and lone behold it appears it is back again. When I lifted the hood it looks like it is on the housing in front of the filter, any ideas what that might be?

If yours is a sport, then there will be an oil-to-water oil cooler between the oil filter and the oil filter adapter. Is it leaking between the cooler and the adapter? If so, that's just a gasket. If it's leaking between the adapter and the engine block, it could be the gasket there, or it could be the adapter itself.

It is the 2002 Premium edition. So, I dont know does that have a cooler. Its not a major leak either just a few drops when I go back to drive it after its been off

It is the 2002 Premium edition. So, I dont know does that have a cooler. Its not a major leak either just a few drops when I go back to drive it after its been off

If it's leaking there, it probably only leaks while the engine is running. The leak rate may be more than you think.

Here's a drawing of the oil cooler (item 7).

oil_cooler.gif

Well the odd thing is I dont see anything leaking when the car is on, but when its off it seems to idk, your probably right Joe

Had the same problem , just cancel the cooler , saves you a lot of problems on the long run

Ya, what do the engineers know anyway.......

Well in his defense, the non-sport models didn't get the cooler. That suggests that it's not critical to have. Still, I'd want to fix the issue rather than remove the feature.

Premium does not have the cooler - that's how my '02 is.

I had oil leaks when I used the cheaper, shorter oil filter which is for the Sport with the oil cooler. The longer, more expensive filter is for the non-cooler engines and did not leak.
It doesn't make a lot of sense - one would assume the sealing surface is the same - but there it is.

Premium does not have the cooler - that's how my '02 is.

I had oil leaks when I used the cheaper, shorter oil filter which is for the Sport with the oil cooler. The longer, more expensive filter is for the non-cooler engines and did not leak.
It doesn't make a lot of sense - one would assume the sealing surface is the same - but there it is.

Yea man, I was going to say when I looked at the design it did not look like I had an oil cooler on it but then again couldn't get a clear look. Yea my mechanic put a different filter in because of the fact that the one that the place I got my oil done put a S*** one on. I dont know, this car. love hate relationship

most OEM oil coolers have very little effectiveness ,and in our case , later on the cooler will end up leaking oil into the cooling system , and that leads to another full replacement of the cooling system.

been there ,done that got the tshirt................

lol I sure hope not cause I already replaced both water pumps, thermostat for it and some other crap too

lol I sure hope not cause I already replaced both water pumps, thermostat for it and some other crap too

Change the coolant every three or four years and there should be no worry of the oil cooler corroding through.

Where was your leak? I just noticed mine is leaking somewhere around the filter or oil cooler. Accessory belt has been squeaky on cold mornings but this morning it was mysteriously quiet... turns out oil started spraying on it to lubricate it! :rolleyes:

old thread bump, but does anyone have a part number for the oil cooler o ring gasket? #8 in the diagram.

oil_cooler.gif

oil_cooler.gif

Sorry, no, but if you take that picture to your local Jaguar dealer they might either have it in stock or be able to get it quickly. When I did my cooling system I didn't order enough of the rubber seals. The local Lincoln dealer parts guy looked at me with a vacant look before saying they couldn't get it. Told the Jag dealer that I needed the cooling seals on top of the engine, and he knew exactly what I was talking about and had me the seals I needed the next day.

Old thread bump like the guy above.

But I am doing the oil filter adapter gasket here in a few weeks to hopefully solve a bad oil drip. This is the only place I can figure out it would be coming from. The repair manual says to remove the oil cooler. However, it seems possible I can just remove the adapter (with cooler still attached) and place in a new gasket...

Also curious as to how many quarts the pan holds, I just did an oil change and am wondering how much oil I will lose.

Anyone who has done this with insight?

Last edited:
Same as with an oil change. The book says 6.5 quarts, but it takes 7 to fill both of mine.

Why are you planning the drain the pan? It is below the filter. I would guess that if you don't drain, it will be about a quart that pours out of the filter, the cooler, the adapter, and the upper engine. This is just a guess though. It may be less.

My 04 had a leak that I believe (unfortunately) is the timing cover gasket. It leaves an annoying puddle on the floor. It seems to keep leaking while parked (the longer it is parked, the bigger the puddle). It does not leak enough to have to add oil between changes, so I think it's not from a pressurized area. It's not the oil pan gasket (I was sure it wasn't, but changed it anyway). Anyway, I'd much rather it was the adapter gasket.

Perfect this is what I expected. And I am praying it is the gasket I just bought. It is leaving huge puddles. I also fill with 7 total quarts and I keep checking the levels, it seems to not be dropping by as much as what I see on the floor. So I am not sure what is going on. I guess a quart of oil on the floor is tough to picture and it takes a lot to make a difference on the dipstick.

Your description of you 2004 is exactly mine. I drive maybe once a week so my LS sits in the parking garage pretty much constantly, and there is a massive oil puddle. And since it is doing this while simply sitting, I am terrified how it looks when I am driving. I can see oil spread all the way back across the pan and it gives the appearance of the entire pan leaking so it is difficult to track down.

I will report back with what I find after I dig into the thing.

I would remove the filter to get that oil out and get a bit more room. Then just unbolt the adapter with the cooler still on it. Clean, new gasket, reinstall. Very quick job assuming the bolts aren't frozen.
A quart on the floor is a very large puddle.

Same as with an oil change. The book says 6.5 quarts, but it takes 7 to fill both of mine.

Why are you planning the drain the pan? It is below the filter. I would guess that if you don't drain, it will be about a quart that pours out of the filter, the cooler, the adapter, and the upper engine. This is just a guess though. It may be less.

My 04 had a leak that I believe (unfortunately) is the timing cover gasket. It leaves an annoying puddle on the floor. It seems to keep leaking while parked (the longer it is parked, the bigger the puddle). It does not leak enough to have to add oil between changes, so I think it's not from a pressurized area. It's not the oil pan gasket (I was sure it wasn't, but changed it anyway). Anyway, I'd much rather it was the adapter gasket.
I realize this is a older thread but being the fact that it resurfaced...and with the belief everything happens for a reason, I need some advise on a oil pan gasket? All the bolts/ fasteners which hold my oil pan together have oil on them ....would it be safe to assume my oil pan gasket needs replacing 2001 Lincoln LS V8 ...Thanks for all responses in advanced

... All the bolts/ fasteners which hold my oil pan together have oil on them ....would it be safe to assume my oil pan gasket needs replacing 2001 Lincoln LS V8 ...Thanks for all responses in advanced

Not really. Any leak from almost anywhere else (particularly the front) on the engine will wind up dripping from the oil pan since it is the lowest point. Never say never, but the V8 oil pan gasket is a very robust design.
On the plus side, the gasket is cheap and easy to replace if you want to try it anyway.

I had time over the weekend to tackle the adapter gasket. What a total PITA to work in, at least without a lift it sucks trying to maneuver various extensions and such to reach 3 bolts that were extremely snug.

Unfortunately it appears this did not solve the leak, and I could not figure out where it was coming from. Perhaps somewhere above the adapter, because the entire thing had oil and such all over it. (Perhaps this is the same issue on Joe's 2004). I just looked @ the task of replacing the front engine cover gasket.. and haha yea right!

nZ3DWyM.jpg

AtGR2d1.jpg

q7YUGBl.jpg

nZ3DWyM.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back