Remove Air Silencer?

Kbob

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'll be doing some work on my 97 Mark VIII soon, and I'm considering removing my air silencer. Is this okay to do on a Gen II? Is the procedure any different from a Gen I? Without flaming, what are the pros and cons? Thanks in advance for any input.

no... removing it wont hurt anything.

not so sure if it gives any significant gains though... but I'm sure if the car was pulling in alot more air than stock, you would see some significant/positive gains from ditching it.

I know it will change the sound of the intake and exhaust slightly (not by much though)

I dunno... every Ford I've owned... the first thing I did was ditch it :D. I'm sure it's not too different from the Gen 1 BTW

good luck :)
-Steve

same procedure, done it to two '97s. Pros, more air intake and sounds better, cons, this will start the modding bug regardless of how small the mod and will continue to increase with each mod you do.

Jibit said:
... Pros, more air intake and sounds better, cons, this will start the modding bug regardless of how small the mod and will continue to increase with each mod you do.

:I Ain't it the truth!

When people talk about Gen I and Gen II.. I know they're talkin about air intake.. but what brand or make? Is Gen I considered what comes stock? Excuse my retardedness on this subject. :)

LBK_LS said:
When people talk about Gen I and Gen II.. I know they're talkin about air intake.. but what brand or make? Is Gen I considered what comes stock? Excuse my retardedness on this subject. :)

lol
gen 1 = generation 1 (93 to 96 mark VIII's)
gen 2 = generation 2 (97 and 98 mark VIII's)

:Beer

Thanks for the quick replies! Looks like it's a go then.

I have a pick somewhere of my Cold Air Intake. I pulled the whole snorkle thing and replace it with a 4" pipe that feed air from below the bumper, just in front of the valance. Be careful if you do this and have a tendency to drive in knee deep water though.

I'll do my '98 at the same time so we can be twins!!!

MonsterMark said:
I have a pick somewhere of my Cold Air Intake. I pulled the whole snorkle thing and replace it with a 4" pipe that feed air from below the bumper, just in front of the valance. Be careful if you do this and have a tendency to drive in knee deep water though.

i would like to see pics of that and a parts list maybe :rolleyes:

i have taken mine out in the 95, and it feels stronger and it is also louder(not notiacable unless you are compairing it to before you took it out

MonsterMark said:

Believe it or not, leave it to the ricers, they have a bypass piece that you can put inline that when the intake is under water and creates vacuum, the bypass opens up and you do not get water into your engine. The bypass valve can be viewed here.

Ive taken a couple out. My 98 LSC was a mf'er to get out. I pulled 1 out of a 97, and it was a bunch easier. I have not noticed any noise change when throttling up, or any other changes. But it sure makes it a heck of a lot easier to get to the air ride pump!

Elephant ear quickie:

Remove. Plug hole with a black antifreeze bottle cap inserted backwards. Put a hose clamp around it and tighten it down good. Done.

1334550775.jpg

Capped

image_zpsb21d34d2.jpg

Shaved
image_zps48a99dcf.jpg

Is there any way to get the silencer out wiThout removing the front passenger wheel/ splash Gaurd ? Waiting on UPS to drop off k&n panel filter today so I’m going to try this mod on my 97’ LSC

Is there any way to get the silencer out wiThout removing the front passenger wheel/ splash Gaurd ? Waiting on UPS to drop off k&n panel filter today so I’m going to try this mod on my 97’ LSC

Yes, Removing the passenger headlight assembly is easy enough with the core support cover off. Then just follow my instructions in my post in the "How To Articles" section under Cold Air intake mod. Just know removing the silencer is a worthless project in its self. The only thing that needs to be removed is the air box restrictor (tube like snorkel). removing that tube is where the air flow is restricted. The silencer is a worthless appendage once the horn is off.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back