Power door lock Problem...

wm2485

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok so I am a new ls owner (about a week) Im not a mechanic technically, however I do have a little bit of knowledge about cars just cus cars are my passion. Problem I'm having is my door actuators work when pushing the door lock/unlock on the door. But when I push the button on the keyless entry I can hear it and if I put my hand on the door panel I can feel the actuators at least trying to lock but wont on the 2 front doors. only the back 2. But the only time I have a problem is from the keyless entry (either one of my 2 keyless entries) Interior door lock button works fine. I haven't taken it apart yet but I'm stumped on this... any suggestions? 1st gen 02 ls V8 (base I think) Thanks in advanced.

... Interior door lock button works fine. ...

The two electric lock buttons (driver's and front passenger's door) work fine (lock and unlock all four doors at once) or do you mean that the manual lock levers (lock and unlock that door only) work fine?

The actuators are a part of the door latch assembly. The whole assembly has to be replaced. Some have had luck taking them apart and cleaning and lubricating them. You might start by just spraying some lube into the latch and see what happens.

There are at least a few threads on here about this. Search for them. Use Google Advanced search and restrict it to this site to search. The site's built-in search is not too good.

Every aspect of the door locks/power locks works great except for the buttons on the keyless entry (yes on both). When you use the buttons on the keyless entry it only locks the back doors. The front two doors sound and feel like they are trying to lock but just don't. I came here to get advice on a problem I cant figure out. I did my research for hours and came up with nothing. "There are at least a few threads on here about this." I cant find anything and my job is to search on Google for a living. So prove me wrong and Ill give you my sincere apology, but I don't believe you are accurate.

In that case, I decline your offer to do more unpaid work for you...

I take that as you weren't able to find any. I was talking to someone who may want to help me. The same way I would help someone that needed my help on this forum. I want to let it be known... if anyone around me (29860) needs a hand, well then Ill be happy to help them out. Shoot watch this... free welding for ls owners in my garage. I mean correct me if I'm wrong but did I just ask a question and a senior member tell me I have to pay to get help. I think you have misunderstood the purpose of these forums. It is not to promote your business. Charge a Cadillac owner with that BS. I am very good at what I do... pm me if you need a friend who will help you out. We are all here for a common purpose.

I'd be careful if I were you... If I didn't know better Joe had built and designed these cars himself. You won't find a more knowledgeable person regarding the LS, ever. GL with your fix.

You don't have to pay to get help, but insulting someone who is telling you how to help yourself isn't going to get you anywhere. The information is, in fact, here. However, I am no longer inclined to point it out.

You don't have to pay to get help, but insulting someone who is telling you how to help yourself isn't going to get you anywhere. The information is, in fact, here. However, I am no longer inclined to point it out.

Hey Joe....... Did you get my check???? ;)

That's my problem.. I don't feel as though I insulted anyone. At least, I didn't mean to. But even now looking over what I said, I still don't see where the insult was. But if that's how he took it.. I do give my sincere apology to him for that. However, I do feel he was rude to me, especially as a newcomer. All I said was I've done "what I call research" and prove me wrong, and I'll give you my sincere apology but I don't believe you're accurate. I'm not an amateur by any means with forums.. the last thing I would do is post a question before doing thorough research on the matter. The reason for this is because I know firsthand how irritating it is to have people who don't think it's worth their time to see if the question has been addressed previously. I am not that person. Nobody likes getting on a forum after work to read some new post and they're all the same stuff.. because apparently people think their time is more valuable than yours and are unwilling to search. I genuinely didn't mean to sound rude, arrogant, snobby or any of the like.. and quite honestly, don't see where I was. The point is.. I did my research to the best of my ability. I tried. Someone got on the forum.. and told me that I did not try. Anybody in their right mind when they put in work on something, and someone automatically assumes that they did not, obviously it's going to upset them to some extent. It's just this.. instead of saying "use the search function" basically, just ask if I have. It's just that I am new to this forum.. and I feel like the responses were anything other than welcoming. I was told at one point "I'd be careful if I was you". Maybe it's a problem I have with myself.. I'm 6'5", 350 pounds.. born and raised in West Baltimore. I don't care for threats.. who does? The last thing that I want is any problems with anyone on here.. but I can't help but think... you see, I have a very big DSM background, I've had four 4G63 Eclipses.. and was a very happy member of the forums there. Everyone treated each other like family. This may be my first post on here, however I've been reading a lot.. and I see a lot of bashing against other peoples LS's, and what they choose to do to their LS. So I think that's maybe why I was quick to jump and get upset about being told to use the search feature.. because it's like I almost expected it. And yes, I guess I do owe Joe an apology because I already had negative expectations before posting my question. So yes.. Joe, I am sorry for that. It's just that if we continue to be unwelcoming to newcomers.. then we're just going to have meets like they are.. 5 cars tops. At least that's the most I've seen in videos, pictures, etc. I guess I just don't understand because in my opinion, we're supposed to be brothers. When I was told "in that case, I decline your offer to do more unpaid work for you".. yes Joe, I feel like that was uncalled for. Just because you have 9,500 posts.. I just don't feel as though it gives you the right to talk down to people. Like I said.. especially newcomers. 9,500 posts.. you're supposed to be Pops. I don't know.. I really did not want to offend anybody. I was just expecting negativity because of what I've seen with other posts.. especially in the Post Pics Of Your LS. Everybody wants to criticize.. and I don't feel like that's beneficial to anybody. If the members on here don't want me on here, then I'll leave. But all I want to do is to see this community to grow for the better and to be part of it. I do apologize for the drama.. I don't think any of us like drama. Sorry.

i think the problem here is that you are misunderstanding what he is telling you...

he is trying to help you in the most efficient manner possible, after all time is money, and at his rate, you will want him to be efficient...

The two electric lock buttons (driver's and front passenger's door) work fine (lock and unlock all four doors at once) or do you mean that the manual lock levers (lock and unlock that door only) work fine?

this is him trying to get clarification because nobody can help you if they don't fully understand exactly what is going on.

The actuators are a part of the door latch assembly. The whole assembly has to be replaced.

while he is waiting on the clarification he figured he would inform you of what the part are, then point you in the most common failure and course of action

Some have had luck taking them apart and cleaning and lubricating them. You might start by just spraying some lube into the latch and see what happens.

again here, giving you more advise on things that you can try to fix the problem.

There are at least a few threads on here about this. Search for them.

then here is is letting you know that there are threads about replacing the actuators (some of which are very detailed and even have pictures of exactly what you need to do) but instead of wasting time retyping every step he is telling you what you should be searching for so that you can find the more complete set of instruction, to make easier on yourself. he is not saying that this exact same problem has been addressed.

Use Google Advanced search and restrict it to this site to search. The site's built-in search is not too good.

here is where he is showing you a better way to search and find the information hidden in this website much easier and faster. and since he didn't know that you are a google gun slinger and do it all day, he was making sure you knew that gem...

I don't feel as though I insulted anyone.

well

So prove me wrong and Ill give you my sincere apology, but I don't believe you are accurate.

telling somebody that they are wrong (no matter how polite you put it) and basically demanding that they do the work that they just recommended that you do is kinda insulting.

I mean correct me if I'm wrong but did I just ask a question and a senior member tell me I have to pay to get help.

allow me to correct you, he was in the processes of offering you help, un-compensated of course, and based on your response demanding more work from him
So prove me wrong
he no longer wishes to continue helping.

It's just that if we continue to be unwelcoming to newcomers.

the biggest problem with most newcomers round here is that even when you do offer them help, they still complain and feel all butt hurt*

*see example #1**
**example #1 is this thread

Well I didn't mean any harm and I didn't mean to use up anyone's valuable time. My words were misconstrued as demanding help, which was not the case at all. I now know my place here is not welcome and I will never waist anyone's time again. Thank you to the person who said good luck with your fix.

Every aspect of the door locks/power locks works great except for the buttons on the keyless entry (yes on both). When you use the buttons on the keyless entry it only locks the back doors. The front two doors sound and feel like they are trying to lock but just don't. I came here to get advice on a problem I cant figure out. I did my research for hours and came up with nothing. "There are at least a few threads on here about this." I cant find anything and my job is to search on Google for a living. So prove me wrong and Ill give you my sincere apology, but I don't believe you are accurate.

Here you go

The funny thing here is that my first post gave him his solution (clean, lube, or replace the latch assemblies). He doesn't believe it because he is all caught up on the "weird" symptom of all working from the switches and not from the remotes. If he had done the suggested search, he would see that this exact problem has been reported before, and fixed the way I indicated. He would even see the reason for it working one way and not the other. (Hint: has to do with timing.)

I now know my place here is not welcome and I will never waist anyone's time again.

no one ever said that you were not welcome here, its quite the opposite. I'm just having a hard time trying to understand why you feel the you were so wronged here

you came on here and asked a question and the very first response you received had everything you needed to know, it had where the problem laid, what needed to be done to fix it, and you were even offered two other things that you could try to fix it without replacing the bad parts. if thats not good enough for you for help from a forum then i really don't know what you are looking for...

you asked, he told you, you told him he was inaccurate, you think he was being rude. go figure...

That's my problem.. I don't feel as though I insulted anyone. At least, I didn't mean to. But even now looking over what I said, I still don't see where the insult was. But if that's how he took it.. I do give my sincere apology to him for that. However, I do feel he was rude to me, especially as a newcomer. All I said was I've done "what I call research" and prove me wrong, and I'll give you my sincere apology but I don't believe you're accurate. I'm not an amateur by any means with forums.. the last thing I would do is post a question before doing thorough research on the matter. The reason for this is because I know firsthand how irritating it is to have people who don't think it's worth their time to see if the question has been addressed previously. I am not that person. Nobody likes getting on a forum after work to read some new post and they're all the same stuff.. because apparently people think their time is more valuable than yours and are unwilling to search. I genuinely didn't mean to sound rude, arrogant, snobby or any of the like.. and quite honestly, don't see where I was. The point is.. I did my research to the best of my ability. I tried. Someone got on the forum.. and told me that I did not try. Anybody in their right mind when they put in work on something, and someone automatically assumes that they did not, obviously it's going to upset them to some extent. It's just this.. instead of saying "use the search function" basically, just ask if I have. It's just that I am new to this forum.. and I feel like the responses were anything other than welcoming. I was told at one point "I'd be careful if I was you". Maybe it's a problem I have with myself.. I'm 6'5", 350 pounds.. born and raised in West Baltimore. I don't care for threats.. who does? The last thing that I want is any problems with anyone on here.. but I can't help but think... you see, I have a very big DSM background, I've had four 4G63 Eclipses.. and was a very happy member of the forums there. Everyone treated each other like family. This may be my first post on here, however I've been reading a lot.. and I see a lot of bashing against other peoples LS's, and what they choose to do to their LS. So I think that's maybe why I was quick to jump and get upset about being told to use the search feature.. because it's like I almost expected it. And yes, I guess I do owe Joe an apology because I already had negative expectations before posting my question. So yes.. Joe, I am sorry for that. It's just that if we continue to be unwelcoming to newcomers.. then we're just going to have meets like they are.. 5 cars tops. At least that's the most I've seen in videos, pictures, etc. I guess I just don't understand because in my opinion, we're supposed to be brothers. When I was told "in that case, I decline your offer to do more unpaid work for you".. yes Joe, I feel like that was uncalled for. Just because you have 9,500 posts.. I just don't feel as though it gives you the right to talk down to people. Like I said.. especially newcomers. 9,500 posts.. you're supposed to be Pops. I don't know.. I really did not want to offend anybody. I was just expecting negativity because of what I've seen with other posts.. especially in the Post Pics Of Your LS. Everybody wants to criticize.. and I don't feel like that's beneficial to anybody. If the members on here don't want me on here, then I'll leave. But all I want to do is to see this community to grow for the better and to be part of it. I do apologize for the drama.. I don't think any of us like drama. Sorry.

Survey says: 93% didn't read this! Paragraphs please, so old people can follow along.

Here's your answer......Again......

Replace the actuator. They aren't repairable. I had the exact same problem a few years ago and the solution was replacing the actuator.

Oh, the LS ISN'T anything like a Mitsubishi. Well.... They both have 4 wheels and an engine. And the LS engine faces the correct way!

Well, I can honestly say I didn't read much after the first couple posts. But I can clearly tell you that Joegr is definitely one of (if not the most) intelligent and familiar person with the Lincoln LS on this forum.

My advice (free at the moment)...

1. Don't insult people you're inquiring help from.
2. Several(or tons) of people register on this forum and fill it with topics that have already been covered thoroughly. I can attest to this, I was one of them and still am. It's more beneficial to reactivate old threads than to start numerous new ones and clutter the forum.
3. I don't know why I'm investing time in this post because you're probably going to continue to veer off topic and prolong this soap opera.
4. Focus on advice points "1" and "2". Or just install new actuators so this thread dies.

Thanks and good luck. God bless

Moderators please delete this thread so people will stop bashing me. I can't for the life of me find out how to delete it myself. I've been threatened on here and called illiterate and stupid... it is embarrassing. All I was wondering is if there was some sort of solenoid or something that assist the keyless entry in engaging the door lock actuators that is separate from the door lock button on the door itself.... if that makes any sense. You have my word as a man... I will never bother anyone on here again. Especially when you have to pay for help. Sorry for the inconvenience. I will never open this thread again so please don't waist your time jumping on the bandwagon belittling me anymore because you see everyone else doing it. Once again sorry for utilizing this forum for its intention.

I've spent hours searching and went through almost everything. Nobody has ever posted this same problem... never. Actuators are very simple. They either work or they don't... and mine work. I may be new to the LS, but I know cars very well. When I said "So prove me wrong and Ill give you my sincere apology, but I don't believe you are accurate." I meant "if you can". I was also just saying that "I don't believe you are accurate" in regards to the "There are at least a few threads on here about this. Search for them." comment he made. Not about his knowledge on the car itself. I don't doubt his knowledge on the car by any means.

Look 2 paragraphs!

First, I really hope that no one has threatened you. I apologize if they have.
Second, this forum almost never deletes threads.
Third, there is a motor inside the door latch. That's it. There's no separate part.
Fourth, I don't know why you insist that no one has ever had your exact problem before. At least two have since I have been here.
Lastly, clean, lubricate, or replace the latch assemblies. Why are you so stubborn about this? Your latches are working, but are too slow to respond completely to the signal from the keypad and the remote. With the door switches, you can hold them long enough for the slow motors to completely unlock it. This information is in the posts that you won't search for or won't read.

I've been threatened on here and called illiterate and stupid...

what are you even talking about? where were you threatened, called stupid, or illiterate?

All I was wondering is if there was some sort of solenoid or something that assist the keyless entry in engaging the door lock actuators that is separate from the door lock button on the door itself.... if that makes any sense.

why would that make any sense? since "you know cars very well", please name me some that have two different systems in place that operate the same power door lock. every car that i have ever worked on has only had one actuator in the door...

why would you have one actuator for one use but then need a "helper" motor/solenoid for an other use???

Especially when you have to pay for help

well i do see where you were given help, but I'm not seeing where you had to pay any money for said service

Once again sorry for utilizing this forum for its intention.

its not the help that you received that has bothered people, it was your behavior after the fact

I've spent hours searching and went through almost everything. Nobody has ever posted this same problem... never.
what are talking about, you have an actuator that is not working right, when it tries to unlock but doesn't, you can hear it trying to work.

if you did really search as asked, you would have seen responses with the exact same problem, you can hear actuator but it doesn't do anything
as in right here
Here you go

as someone who"knows cars very well" you should be very familier with the fact that most of the time you dont have 100% of all the symptoms to have the same problem, in fact a lot of the time you will only have some or most of the same symptoms

Actuators are very simple. They either work or they don't... and mine work.

do they, because it seems to me that they dont work 100% of the the time, otherwise you wouldn't be here, as with many electrical items, intermittent/marginal failure is pretty common.

you have an actuator (or two) that works sometimes but not others (since there is no mysterious auxiliary actuator hiding just waiting to help out when the heavy lifting gets too heavy) since there is only the one actuator in each door, and when its not working, you hear it trying to work, that means that the controller is doing its part and doing its job controlling the actuator, the actuator is just not doing its job...

I may be new to the LS, but I know cars very well.
I don't believe you are accurate (about knowing cars well, i really do believe that you are new to the LS).

When I said "So prove me wrong and Ill give you my sincere apology, but I don't believe you are accurate." I meant "if you can". I was also just saying that "I don't believe you are accurate" in regards to the "There are at least a few threads on here about this. Search for them." comment he made.

yes i understand exactly what you mean but it still doesnt change the facts. he was very accurate about the threads showing up when searched, i did the exact same search that was shown to you later on using google, in one of the top three results there is a thread where the actuator would not work but it was making noise, how is this not the problem you are having?

this-special-coupon:-good-for-one-free-hug-pass-it-on_299.gif

... Look 2 paragraphs!

i_love_paragraphs_tshirt-r00b3926c9f004a8286c5f30460872689_8nhma_324.jpg

i_love_paragraphs_tshirt-r00b3926c9f004a8286c5f30460872689_8nhma_324.jpg

This post is not exactly on topic but it does apply to the door latch on my 2002 Continental. Please excuse the length of the post but the two people I told this story to are amazed by it. What the heck, I got some good advice on this forum so I'll share it with the readers.

About 2 years ago the door latches on the left side of my beloved Continental stopped working. The manual locking pins would shudder but not drop when I tried to lock the doors with my power lock buttons. The manual pins seemed to be frozen. Fortunately they were frozen in the up position, so I could still open and close the doors, but not lock them.

About a year ago I tried to fix it myself. But I got stuck just removing the front door panel. A mechanic on this forum told me how to remove the panel, which overcame the wrong directions in the Repair CD Manual. Thanks! Then I could saw that the latch drivers were trying to move the latch. So I knew the drivers were OK; and concluded that he latch assembly, a sensor, or my computer was probably at fault.

Yesterday, I went to a junk yard and had a worker rip the front latch assembly from an 2000 Continental. I was discouraged at how hard it was to remove the assembly and by the tiny space he had to do the work. I knew I'd never complete this job myself and just slept on it.

This morning I examined my spare assembly and noticed that it was held to the frame by three, short 1/2 inch bolts. I knew that my car had a few longer bolts so I pulled one of the longer bolts, the one from my front door. When I inserted the longer bolt into the bottom thread of the spare assembly I saw that it interfered with the latch! The latch then exhibited the same behavior as my installed latch. Moreover, my rear door's longer bolt was in the same place. I replaced both with shorter bolts and the two-year problem was solved. Everything works!!!!

Has anyone on this forum had this happen? Would anyone advance a theory as to how two longer bolts came to be in exactly a position to disable both doors? Or should I (and the forum's readers) just let it go and simply thank the stars that I found the problem.

Still, anyone else who finds a stuck manual pin should be aware that a long bolt could disable the lock.

Nice story, but I think the locks and latches on the LS are very different than the ones on the Continental.

Would anyone advance a theory as to how two longer bolts came to be in exactly a position to disable both doors?

this is likely a very easy one to understand, the longer bolt is coming into contact with moving parts, the shorter bolts do not.

Members online

No members online now.
Back