How much should I ask for the '96 D.A,?

sprocket

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I've decided to get rid of the '96 Diamond Anniversary. I have a garage I could put it in, so parting it out is sort of an option. I think it just needs to be able to roll. Unless it's going to make me some good money though, I'd just as soon get rid of it ASAP. Here's some details:

1) There's not a whole lot of rust but there's some questionable paint and body work.

2) It has a brand new coil conversion but also has a new air ride computer and a new compressor. I could pull those before selling.

3) The suspension is pretty decent. The tires have decent tread. The ten spokes are in very good shape but aren't chrome.

4) The interior is maybe a 5. The driver's seat leather is in rough shape. The rear seat is in good shape.

5) It has a blown head gasket. It is still drivable, but if the coolant cap is left tight overnight, coolant will push into the cylinders. I have to leave the cap almost loose and then add coolant when it gets low.

173,000 miles. I think the tranny is OK, but I'm not positive because it has been doing some bucking lately. It could be the engine causing it.

I'm sure there's more I could tell, but you get the idea. I'd appreciate some opinions on what I should ask for it.....

Yeah you won't get sh*t for it whole no matter who you try and sell it to, the only thing it has going for it is the fact its a diamond anniversary but in that condition it makes no difference. Just part it out if you can deal with the headache of pulling parts and selling it all off, otherwise cut your losses.

If you decide to part it, I call first crack at all the interior parts. I'd like to see pictures if possible..

Sounds like I'll be parting it.

Can I get those IMRC actuators off without removing the intake? Or should I just remove the intake anyway and leave the IMRCs whole?

I want the top of the dash for my other car. Does anyone know if it is just snapped on?

It has to roll so I can roll it out for the scrapper to pick up so what can I do about removing the 10 spokes? Four emergency spares? cobble the bolt pattern at work?

There's a brand new air ride compressor and computer. At least the receipts I found say they are. Will the car roll without the front coil/shocks? They are new too. I have a couple junk air springs I could install.

There's DA quarter glass and rear seats. I don't know if the front seats are worth salvaging but maybe. I'll get some pics.

How much should I really part? Should the interior be an empty shell?

Luke and Eric, I'm probably going to want to talk to you guys too...

Climate control unit is desirable.

VCRM is one year only and very desirable.

If you pull the engine, save the block and scrap the rest.

Top of the dash comes right off by pulling on it.

Pumpkin has value.

There is money there if you are patient.

is it dual exh? that's worth something to someone if it's not rusted to hell, it's easy cut and paste for a base model

See, I don't want to sit on parts. If I'm going to part it myself it might make the most sense to only remove those things that are immediately desirable. Stuff I can get rid of right away and make some cash. I'll start making a list based on you guys' input.

I'm still wondering about removing the rims. I suppose it depends on who takes it for scrap. Some might be willing to take it to the yard, then pull the tires for me.

remove the imrc's keep them hole. try and clean them as best as ya can. list em on ebay or in the forsale section. those are hard to come by and can get you some cash fast. also the vrcm as well thats another year only specific part for the 96. pull that as well. the hvac control also. and the read glass if they say diamon anv. on them. other then that its a typical 96 youll get what ya can get normally for those kind of parts.

if you scrap it and dont pull those parts to sell you will find a lynch mob marching towards your house

The problem with the VRCM is that I don't have a spare and have another '96. I DO have spare IMRCs with actuators though. I think I would be wise to keep the VRCM until I sell the other Mark VIII, which I am considering. It has some value now but being a '96 that value could drop fast if anything goes wrong with it. It might be a good time to get rid of both of them and sell ALL of my spare parts (not much, really). I could always look at getting another MK8 in the future. I don't think I would part the other one though, because it is in decent shape. My friend says he has a guy at work who will give me $1800....

As far as parting out the interior goes, depending on condition, I'd be interested in:

Steering wheel and curved panel that sits over the top of it
Door panels and switches
Front Seat skins and tracks

As far as the rest of the vehicle goes, these are the things I would save and/or sell:

VCRM
IMRC
Throttle Cable
Corner Lamps
Headlights (if HID)
Rims (even if you just scrap them separately, they're worth more at a recycling facility than if they are on the car)

Being a northern car, there is probably not much left of the subframe mounts or other items underneath the car.

Engine, transmission and pumpkin are out of my league, so I'll leave that advice to others.

If the 1/4 windows are the DA etched, I want them. They're very easy to get out

See, I don't want to sit on parts. If I'm going to part it myself it might make the most sense to only remove those things that are immediately desirable. Stuff I can get rid of right away and make some cash. I'll start making a list based on you guys' input.

I'm still wondering about removing the rims. I suppose it depends on who takes it for scrap. Some might be willing to take it to the yard, then pull the tires for me.

There is no quick cash unless your willing to sell parts far below there value. Rims can stay on the car on it's way to the scrapper, they will let you take them off there and keep them. I get allot of calls for people looking for spare sets. Give me a call tonight.

Thanks for all the advice and comments so far. Anybody have an opinion about the $1800 offer for my other '96? Here is a pic:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?90475-Photo-of-my-toreador-96

I could then sell off all parts I have including what I would part out. I also have spare IMRCs, intake, timing chain cover, throttle body, 2 front airs struts that hold air, four rears that I think all hold air....

I just did most of the front suspension on the other car, but it still needs alignment.

Boy am I kicking myself. Anybody else want a turn? I actually had spare rims off a Windstar van. They were in rough shape. I didn't realize they are the same bolt pattern. The junk man came by looking for scrap a couple of months ago. I gave him my rims and tires.

But, I understand like Eric said, I can probably just get them back from the scrapper.

Another problem is the new front springs. It has a coil conversion. Actually the back springs are new too. I can put junk air springs in the front but then it would just be on the ground. It might be hard to get out of my garage and onto a trailer. I called a scrapyard and they will not drag it onto the trailer (like if it were on blocks). I think they are Strutmasters so maybe removing them isn't worth the hassle for what I could get for them.

A piece of 2x4 above the upper controls arm will keep the front up, and you can wedge a piece of 4x4 in place of the rear springs to keep the back up long enough to load it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back