My new LSv8

sacsfin3st

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well my friends, after being on the forums for a few months now .. i figured i would introduce myself and give ya a lil story.

So my friend and I both are looking for cars this tax year. She happens to get hers first and manages to find herself a very nice 2001 Lincoln LS v8 for 5000$. Although this seems a little high, her car was very clean inside and Out It took her about 2wks to find her car and she absolutely loves it.

Me being a CHEVY man and despising anything ford, have spent my time looking for older Chevy Caprice's, preferably in the yr range of 87-89.
She brings over her new toy and my first thoughts... "It's nice, for a classy ford". Another week of searching for my box chev and her trying to convince me to get a car like hers.. She convinces me to drive it. And oh my.. The handling on this car is awesome. It has decent pick up and **** it gets better gas mileage than my oh so loved Chevy caprice. (Which btw I have owned 4 of them) I fall in love with this car.

So my new journey begins to find me an LS of my very own! Searching Craigslist relentlessly for an LS and test driving about 4 before finding one I really liked. The gentleman wanted 2800$ for it but I talked him down to 2600$ due to the DATC unit being broken and the windshield washer line seems to be blocked.
The guy said it had flow masters on it but after further inspection. They are magna flows. Which I will be changing out as soon as funds are available and allocated to that part of the car.

I am driving this wonderful car for about 3 wks when I have to give a friend a ride home, upon getting to the car I find a huge puddle of coolant under the car. Not being mechanically inclined, I take the car to pep boys and they run a coolant diag costing me $35. Results are: leak in degas bottle, leak in upper radiator hose and the thermostat is bad. They wanted in the upper range of 900$. This was unacceptable. So I talked to a friend online whom has a subscription to AllData and he gives me his info and away me and a coworker go on my new mission to fix this myself! After spending about $150 on parts, damn degas bottle cost 90$ And no I couldn't go to a junk yard.. Only 1 had 1 LS on its lot and that ls had already been ran through, and about 3hrs labor, we think we have this gem of a car ready to go! We take her for a test drive and she starts to get hot. Bleeding this car was a fancy chore ... *remembering the good ol days when cars had radiator caps* ... Anyway after 3 attempts of bleeding and actually taking the new thermostat out and boiling it, she finally stop overheating! She has been running strong for the past 3 months. Having replaced the black DATC unit with a woodgrain looking one, the DATC unit now functions well. I havnt taken the time to find the blockage in the washer line but as a precaution I did pick up a new washer motor. Eventually when time allows .....

I am sad to not see many performance upgrades and was hoping I could get in on the turbo kit I seen on another thread here. Seems that is unlikely. :/

I plan on putting new tires on her soon keeping the stock rims for now. But I think this car would looks best on 20's. my only issue are low profile tires. I don't like em. A little dilemma ill figure out when the time comes.
Then a nice sound system. I've already replaced the stock Alpine deck with a "hold me over" pioneer DVD deck.

I think that's enough for now .. Tis a rather lengthy post. I have pictures I will post later today. Getting ready for my daughters graduation. Can't believe she is graduating high school already and turning 18 next wk! Makes ya feel old.

Anyways thanks for having these great forums up and allowing me to be a part. I shall return with pics!

Nate

Welcome and I too was never a Ford fan and always felt guilty for liking the LS and now that I own one I LOVE my LS.

Welcome... yep, everything you'll ever need is here. I spent a month just reading and searching... amazing whats covered! good luck

That's a great story and Welcome on board! Enjoy your LS.

As promised.. here are some pictures of my lovely new '00 LS

image.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpg

Here is a picture of the Center Console with the replaced DATC unit and the new Pioneer Deck..

image6.jpg

When I got the car the headlights were a bit faded over.. So I borrowed a friends AWSOME headlight restorer product he swore by... Here are the before and after pics..

image4.jpgimage5.jpg

Also if anyone can help with this peice I found under the driver side dash.. at first I thought something was unplugged but after taking the pictures (and really looking at the peice) I think its just a bulb missing.. Can anyone confirm what this peice is for me please?

image7.jpgimage8.jpg

Also one last question for the time being.. Can anyone let me know what the circled black 'bulb' looking item is in the following picture?

image9.jpg

Thank you again for these awesome forums and all the assistance provided.. I also have scoured through these forums when I have time here and there and will continue to.

Nate

image.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

image6.jpg

image4.jpg

image5.jpg

image7.jpg

image8.jpg

image9.jpg

I think that black bulb you circled is the light sensor that determines when to kick on your headlights.

"headlight restorer product he swore by ..."

That came out real nice, I'm all good with my new lamps since purchase but I've got my old OEM in boxes downstairs, saving for some modding later on.
which headlight restorer product was it you used ?

"headlight restorer product he swore by ..."

That came out real nice, I'm all good with my new lamps since purchase but I've got my old OEM in boxes downstairs, saving for some modding later on.
which headlight restorer product was it you used ?

http://ez1brand.com/ez1-headlight-restoration-system/

Took about 40 minutes to do both headlights and 2hrs of dry time in my garage to let the polymer set.

$25 for the set which including my car and 5 others .. He still has some left.

Welcome. Anohter LS saved. Nice work. Love reading about members saving and enjoying there LS. It lloks very nice. More pictures please.

I think that black bulb you circled is the light sensor that determines when to kick on your headlights.

If that's the case, shouldn't my headlights NOT come on during the day? I thought these were running lights with auto delay shutoff adjustable inside the car. My headlights are always on when the car is running when using the auto delay shutoff. Am I incorrect in assuming my LS has running lights? Is there some sensor I need to replace for the auto headlight feature?

Also, now that is getting hotter out, the car doesn't seem to like the heat. Whenever it is really hot out, my LS, on startup when I turn the key, tends to turn the engine but it takes a few turns to get it started. Is this the sign of a failing starter? Or are there other issues I should check out? When it's cold out, like when I goto work M-F @ 530a, it starts right up.
Ty for any help.

If that's the case, shouldn't my headlights NOT come on during the day? I thought these were running lights with auto delay shutoff adjustable inside the car. My headlights are always on when the car is running when using the auto delay shutoff. Am I incorrect in assuming my LS has running lights? Is there some sensor I need to replace for the auto headlight feature?

Also, now that is getting hotter out, the car doesn't seem to like the heat. Whenever it is really hot out, my LS, on startup when I turn the key, tends to turn the engine but it takes a few turns to get it started. Is this the sign of a failing starter? Or are there other issues I should check out? When it's cold out, like when I goto work M-F @ 530a, it starts right up.
Ty for any help.

Your circled device should be the solar sensor. It's one of the sensors for the climate control. That domed device forward of the solar sensor houses the sensor for the headlights. NO USA spec LS had daytime running lights. IMHO your headlight problem is either the switch or the sensor. The adjustment on the switch is to determine how long the lights stay on after you turn off the ignition. It's in the OM; which you may or may not have. They are available online on the Lincoln site.

Members online

No members online now.
Back