1993 Lincoln Mark VIII - Need help with sunroof motor replacement

Anne Hosier

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Good morning members.

I'm in need of assistance from anyone who has the knowledge.

I recently purchased a replacement sunroof motor but have no visual instructions on how to remove the old one and replace the 'new.' The gentleman who sold me the motor did give me some written instructions but I don't feel confident in doing this without an actual video, or instructions with diagrams, on paper (on screen).

I'd be very grateful if any of the members would contact me with advice, information, or website links they may have access to. Perhaps with more information I can try to figure out how to get it done on my own. My son is not a mechanic and knows very little about cars, least of all mine, so I have to try to do this myself. Quite a job for a female who isn't the slightest bit familiar with the workings of a car. But I'm up for the challenge! Just need a little bit of help if it's out there.

If you're wondering why don't I take it to the mechanic, then I must explain that circumstances dictate that either I do it, or it doesn't get done at all.

As much as I like the warmth of California sunshine from time to time, I don't like the idea of being unable to close the sunroof (and block off the heat from the sun) while I'm driving. Summer months in southern California can be extremely hot as some of you may know.

I thank you in advance for any information or help you are able to give.

Anne

Anne, I wrote the tut on replacing the sunroof assembly. If you are only replacing the motor, you should be able to do it in 10 minutes or less. First pop off the motor cover above the back seat. Next, use a torx screwdriver to remove the copper-colored screws. IIRC its a Torx 25 (T25) but you can buy a little set that has all the common sizes for under $10 almost anywhere. Simply drop the motor, disconnect the wiring plug, install your new one, then put everything back together. Don't be afraid - its a VERY simple job!

You were right. I was able to replace the motor within about 10 minutes. The problem I had was doing the reconnect, underneath the headliner within the box in the rear of the vehicle. It was filled with fibre glass and my skin is still tingling with those little beggars of pieces of fibre glass. I feel like a pin cushion.

The motor didn't work. So, the next thing is that it's most likely the switch above the dashboard. And, I'm sure, that's a much larger and more complex job than what I just did with the motor. I won't be able to perform this particular task so it looks like I'm going to be driving around with lots of heat and 'fresh' air when it's 100 degrees outside.

Bugger!

the switch is easy too, the link joey posted shows how to remove the switch. dont over think these cars, everyone thinks since its a lincoln it must be hard. just remember 2 things
#1 the K.I.S.S. rule, keep it simple stupid
#2 righty tighty and lefty loosey

+1 on chickens post also if you think you can't do it then you are starting in a hole. a preson designed it and it wasn't enstien. get the information then study it then get the sob done. WELCOME to the site ANNE. jd

Hi Anne .. It was my motor you purchase on eBay. You have some good people offering you very reliable information. Welcome to the forum and I hope this all works out for you.

Members online

Back