Manual Conversion --- Next Project

I took offense to the comment about not doing it right the first time. I believe that most people defend their actions in a similar way.

It’s not personal. It’s information.

Please don't leave. :( You have a lot of good information. :)

Your comments about the weight considerations are well taken and that is why I have considered at least going from the 3.27:1 first gear to the 2.95:1 in my T5.
I must confess that my combo is still safer than some of the factory Ford combinations in the past.
The stock Lincoln LS Getrag in the v6 could only handle the exact amount of torque that the engine made. I went through two of these in my old LS. Those cars would ruin main shaft bearings and they were non-servicable.

The stock LS V6 was a hydraulic clutch. Unfortunately, because these cars are relatively rare it is virtually impossible to find the parts.
The Slave Cylinder picture that you attached is exactly the same for all 2005 -2008 V8 and V6 cars. These clutches are hard to bleed but they work well.

FYI I had no problem what so ever bleeding that new one. I was alittle frustrated when I found no bleeder on the newer ones. I was like WTH? You just pump pedal and it pumps right up.
When you stated these come in 2005-2008 v8 and v6 whats the trans behind the v6? Also have you been searching Car-parts.com for any LSv6 manual cars. There has to be one of those under a tree smashed somewhere. The hard part finding it. LOL
Also my comment "do it right first time" was just that a comment not a command. Also alot of you young whipper snappers got alot of nicer stock stuff to work with nowadays. There where no stock hyd throw out bearings back in the day you had buy $$ Quartermasters.

Who races an LS? Mark VIII's will always be an abomination.

95 Cobra R's had 300 Horse, 365 Torque, and was a factory built RACECAR that came with a T5......

Just like anything else, after 95, they quit making T5's and went with the 45, which was NOT an upgrade..

LS is supposed to weigh 3650, less than a new Mustang.

I could see you arguing a T-56 or a 6060, but the 3650 is a **** transmission as well as not having a removable bell housing, which makes the T-5 a logical choice here..

Regardless, ANY of the V8 manuals Ford used will work GREAT swapped into an LS.

Most people are smart enough not to think an LS is a racecar. You must have come from the MK8 side, which is understandable why you think people still want to hotrod Lincolns

From my looking the 95 cobra R DID NOT have a T5 but really had a Tremec 3550. I also had one of the first ones of these sold back in the day. I libertized that too.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/revi...d-heavy-duty-transmission-by-ford-racing.html

when you stated these come in 2005-2008 v8 and v6 whats the trans behind the v6?

t5 - Check it: http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/t5_history.htm
m5lp_0609_07_z+rebuilt_t5_transmission+.jpg

This is the transmission in my car right now.

I just noticed that the torque rating on the TR-3650 is only 360 lb-ft. According to Modern Driveline, the upgraded 2.95:1 first in the s197 t5 should handle 350 lb-ft of torque. There is not that much of a difference between the s197 t5 and the TR-3650 after the modification.

Viva la liberación!

m5lp_0609_07_z+rebuilt_t5_transmission+.jpg

I was wondering if someone was going to call this one...lol!

Hey, ROTM,

If you were going to use a newer Mustang transmission what would you do to adapt the bell-housing?
I would mill up an adapter plate. I have made these before.

I was wondering if someone was going to call this one...lol!

Hey, ROTM,

If you were going to use a newer Mustang transmission what would you do to adapt the bell-housing?
I would mill up an adapter plate. I have made these before. Man that V6 t5 is funky looking. LOL

I would mill up an adapter plate. I have made these before. Man that V6 t5 is funky looking. LOL

Would you build a spacer to extend the flywheel beyond the back of the block and create a new pilot sleeve to extend out to the input shaft?
Remember that the flywheel on the AJ is recessed where as the Ford engines have exposed flywheels.

Would you build a spacer to extend the flywheel beyond the back of the block and create a new pilot sleeve to extend out to the input shaft?
Remember that the flywheel on the AJ is recessed where as the Ford engines have exposed flywheels.

Never seen an AJ flywheel first hand so hard to say. I would try to use all 3650 stuff trans,flywheel,pp, hyd TB but hard to say without playing with stuff and weighing pros and cons. That v6 T5 sure is a nice little compact unit.

Never seen an AJ flywheel first hand so hard to say. I would try to use all 3650 stuff trans,flywheel,pp, hyd TB but hard to say without playing with stuff and weighing pros and cons. That v6 T5 sure is a nice little compact unit.

Yeah, the last version of the t5 is pretty smooth shifting too.

Here are flywheel pics. Notice that it has the integrated timing marks for the crank position sensor.

DSCN9318.jpg

DSCN9319.jpg

$(KGrHqV,!g8F!UDOnmDDBQgT(tIU5!~~60_12.jpg

Yeah, the last version of the t5 is pretty smooth shifting too.

Here are flywheel pics. Notice that it has the integrated timing marks for the crank position sensor.

Does the LS 3.9 have crank trigger in back of block and in auto's have crank trigger lugs on flexplate?

Does the LS 3.9 have crank trigger in back of block and in auto's have crank trigger lugs on flexplate?

Yes. The crank trigger is in the bottom of the oil pan facing the flywheel.

The auto flexplate has a crank trigger wheel spot welded to it.

One gentleman who converted is Jaguar XK to a t56 used the ring gear and the factory flex plate crank trigger on a home made flywheel. He had a full machine shop to work with.

Members online

No members online now.
Back