Steeper gears

2002_lincolnLS

Custom User Title
Reaction score
So I was wanting to get steeper gears for the differential. I have read sometime ago that very early LSs came with like ~ 3:73 verses what the rest have ( not entirely sure what I have 3.5x I assume). Would it be worth it to try to track one of these down? Does anyone make anything gear wise for our diff, not nessicarily LSD wise but just gears?

I don't want anything crazy, just something to help off the line. I don't really care to do the 8.8 swap as that may be more costly than I want, if its the only way to get more gear, then that's what I will have to get.

Any help getting pointed in the right direction is helpful. I know the LSD topic has been covered but I never really remember reading much on gears themselves.

Thanks folks

VERY early V8: 3.58
All other '00-'02 V8: 3.31
All auto V6: 3.58
Manuals: 3.07
All '03+: 3.58

This is from memory. Joe?

VERY early V8: 3.58
All other '00-'02 V8: 3.31
All auto V6: 3.58
Manuals: 3.07
All '03+: 3.58

This is from memory. Joe?

ah, okay, I was thinking I had the 3.58 and the early ones were steeper.

Correct me if I am wrong but the second gen has different splines for the axles so I couldn't do a straight pumpkin swap but i should be able to grab the gears and install in mine.

I think if I can Pull A Part one cheaply it would be well worth it

IIRC isnt the pinion shaft longer in the 2nd gen?

Hopefully not, unless a gen II drive shaft fits in the gen one. Wouldn't really be worth it to have a custom shaft built just to to a little more gear in

Well that helps! Well I will start looking for the ring and pinion to get an idea of the cost

I'm 99% sure anyways. When I did my LSD swap I accidently got a first gen 3.31. So I had the shop swap my 3.58 from my second gen into the first gen housing with LSD. They said the ring and pinions are interchangeable between generations.

I'm 99% sure anyways. When I did my LSD swap I accidently got a first gen 3.31. So I had the shop swap my 3.58 from my second gen into the first gen housing with LSD. They said the ring and pinions are interchangeable between generations.

I thought you couldn't do a LSD swap in the stock housing. My understanding was you had to go with the 8.8 inch diff. I could be wrong.

what LSD did you go with? If its not to costly it may be worth it to do that while I have it apart.

Well then I can do 3.58s from a second gen in a first gen housing with an LSD, or would only really e worth it to do like 3.73's I think the XKR has 3.73 or similar I will check on the jag forum

Well then I can do 3.58s from a second gen in a first gen housing with an LSD, or would only really e worth it to do like 3.73's I think the XKR has 3.73 or similar I will check on the jag forum

This is what I'd like to have.. My car lugs too much, even on the highway, and feels geared way too tall from a stop..

So just went back and found that old thread about the LSD swap, I think tht is way more costly and involved that I would want to go for gears. I will go a head and just do 3.58's

What is your intention? To get a higher gear ration?

If you have a 3.31 and want to go to a 3.58 in a first gen its just a ring and pinion swap. Same with a second gen.

If you want a LSD, when you swap gears it will be the perfect time to put one in. All you'll need is to find a Ford 8.8 28 spline LSD. I think the trac-loks can be found for around $200.

Here is a 4.11 8.8 next to a 3.31 8.0 from a LS.

IMG_8470_zps8a4b781f.jpg

What is your intention? To get a higher gear ration?

If you have a 3.31 and want to go to a 3.58 in a first gen its just a ring and pinion swap. Same with a second gen.

If you want a LSD, when you swap gears it will be the perfect time to put one in. All you'll need is to find a Ford 8.8 28 spline LSD. I think the trac-loks can be found for around $200.

well really just to get more gear, I want a better launch, and figure if the 3.58's will fit right in it may be the way to go. I don't want to spend the coin on it to do 8.8 gears, just doesn't seem worth it so I will keep my eye put for the 3.58s

Members online

Back