Rebuilding my rear differential

Vinny93

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
It finally went on me. After 55,000 of wear and tear, it seized up. :(

Im considering 3:73 but where should I buy it from ?

I know that im most likely going to need a rebuilt kit to....

So I would greatly appreciate feedback.

Thanks

===================

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII Lsc

Ford racing tranmission
Cobra Brakes
Cat Back Exhuast System
SCT Tuned
Currently Na Stock engine

Ill be honest. Buy an entire pumpkin pre built. Rebuilding it isn't fun. You need torque wrenches. Both foot pounds and inch pounds. A rebuild kit. Shims. You will also need the side seals and side bearings specific to the IRS. they are rarely included in the rebuild kits. Bearing puller. You need a dial depth gauge as well. To check backlash.

If you as deep or deeper than 3.73, (i suggest 4.10s. That's what I have.) you should get a track lock.

Buy on-brand parts. Like ford, timken, etc. whoever is just who you like to buy parts from. I bought from summit.
It involves a lot of putting together and taking apart. Took me about a week. 400 in parts. 200 in tools.

I was thinking he meant HE BEAT ON IT FOR 55K MILES, not that's the total miles.....

Response / clarification

I put 55,000 since i bought it. Sorry for the confusion. It had a little over 100,000 miles when I bought it. I needed a rear than. Im assuming there was damage in the drive shaft of the vehicle causing the gearing to possibly bend or break over time. I was just in an accident with the car 3 days ago. And now the clunk is even worse. I dropped a new tranny in a 126,000. And the driveshafts are new. Including the U-joints. But Im afraid that the rear is shot, well almost shot. I am lucky enough to own another rear with subframe. But its off of a mark 8 not lsc. So its 3.08 :shifty:

I have an lsc and have 3.27. :)

I know theres a big debate one 3.73 vs 4.10 or higher. But in my opinion without a proper tune. And some blood sweat and tears the 4.10 would NOT be realistic for my driving needs. Im not trying to make it a track car. I just want to beat ****ty civic Si's off the line. Without losing allot of top end. :rolleyes:

Skeerdy cat. You don't even have a stall converter and you're worried about mpg. 4.10s in a Mark8 doesn't make it a track car. :rolleyes:

On a sidenote, 150+ here with plenty of rpms left in my 98. Plenty enough to kill ya. My mileage is no worse than my former 91 Town Car with 210hp. My supercharged 97 gets over 20mpg freeway with 4.10s and 465hp at the crank. So what was your concern again? Put a 3-speed in it and tell me how it is then. :p

Did you notice what RPM you had at 145? :shifty: Mark

just under 5500 rpm is 140 mph in 4th.
the time i went faster than the speedo reads i dunno how fast i was going. i estimated 145 based on needle position, but i am not sure if it was pegged yet or not.

Members online

No members online now.
Back