How to do Eyelids on Headlights?

If screwed up or you don't like the look, how hard would it be
to sand off the paint and repolish?

How hard is sanding and repolishing? :)
how thick you make them is also a factor, but its not hard

Yes that's the McLaren. Don't know if its still available though.

The McLaren grille is no longer in production. They do show up from time to time on the private seller market. Prices vary though. We have seen them go for anywhere between $200-$325. Find one for less in good shape, I recommend purchasing it(if you truly have that type of interest in owning one).

OK thanks for the input everyone, PMJJ, I think I would like to do the same thing as you did, minus the color matched grill slats, my car doesn't have chrome bumper strips so it's just the grill that needs to be painted. As far as the eyelids, that's exactly the look I want, it looks very clean and I'm surprised the rubber weatherstrip doesn't stick out more between the lights and the hood. The grill on the car Luk3 posted is pretty sweet too, is that the "McLaren" grill I've heard about?

PMJJ, since you painted yours on, did you do it yourself or have it done professionally? If you did it yourself, where did you source your paint from and how difficult was it on a scale of 1-10 (keep in mind I used to be a Ford heavy line tech so I'm pretty mechanically inclined). I just wet-sanded, polished and plastic-x polished my lenses so they are ready to be painted as soon as I'm comfortable with the process.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

Mine was pro-painted. I tried painting the grille a couple years ago and the paint was close, but it wasnt a true match. So last winter I had it proffesionally painted.
It's tough to paint chrome and not have it peel up. The grille is getting done again this winter because it peeled a little bit.

PMJJ, how much did you end up paying to have it pro painted (if you don't mind me asking of course)... and did you have the eyelids and the grill painted or just the grill?

Thanks

Well, my buddy is an ex body shop guy so he painted the ground effects, lights, and grille for me last winter in exchange for mechanic work.

It shouldn't be crazy money tho to paint the grille, or just do like other guys on here and color match just the chrome parts.

I went a different route as far as exterior trim, my car is completely de-badged, front emblem is filled in, rear emblem got cut off and surround re-worked, letters on deck lid, and side are gone.

Anyways just to paint the grille shouldn't be crazy money.

I never responded with the results of the eyelids. I painted them on myself and they came out pretty fine.
zm2FUl.jpg

Well, my buddy is an ex body shop guy so he painted the ground effects, lights, and grille for me last winter in exchange for mechanic work.

It shouldn't be crazy money tho to paint the grille, or just do like other guys on here and color match just the chrome parts.

I went a different route as far as exterior trim, my car is completely de-badged, front emblem is filled in, rear emblem got cut off and surround re-worked, letters on deck lid, and side are gone.

Anyways just to paint the grille shouldn't be crazy money.

OK, I'm probably going to hold off on getting the grill painted until next spring, when I get a quote, I'll let you know what they tell me and see if it's a good price or not. Thanks again.

I never responded with the results of the eyelids. I painted them on myself and they came out pretty fine.
zm2FUl.jpg

Looks really good man!

Members online

No members online now.
Back