smelling gas/exhaust fumes after muffler change

fudge12

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm smelling a strong odor inside the car (interior) that smells like gas and exhaust fumes. If I open the trunk, I can smell it really strong. I just got the right side muffler replaced due to it being ripped off by a high parking brick in a Chase parking lot. When i was driving without the muffler, I didn't smell anything. For the first day the muffler was put on, I didn't smell anything. The following day I began to smell the odor. I'm not too sure if its the muffler or something else.

Take it back by the exhaust shop. They may not have gotten a full weld all the way around the new muffler. Have them check for damage to the body while it's in the air. It takes quite a bit of force to knock a muffler off a car, enough that when it happened it could have knocked a hole in the body underneath.

The new muffler is actually clamped on there. Could that be a probable cause for the smell?

It's possible. Never have liked clamps on exhaust systems. Since you never had a problem before the unfortunate encounter, but do now, the problem will be related to the repair work done, or not done, as the case may be. The best place to start will be the exhaust shop. If it's leaking around the muffler clamps, there should be a bit of a carbon track on the pipes by now.

I'll have a look at it tomorrow morning. I did notice under the spare tire there are a couple holes in the body that I'm able to see right through onto the pavement. I'll plug them up to see what good it would do.

Ummm are the holes in the spare well the ones that are supposed to be there? (with the rubber grommet circles)

Or is it damage?

If it is damage that is obviously the problem.

Yep the holes are supposed to be there, no grommets on them though.

Not sure if it is different per generation.

But my 04 has rubber grommets that seal those up. It is possible someone has removed them due to a trunk leak.

However, the previous posters are right about taking it to the shop to see if they can re inspect their work. Also I strongly recommend having the pipes welded.

Gas

You also might want to check to see if there is any damage to a gas line where the muffler got riped off it would also cause the smell if the line is leaking?

Well it looks like it was a poorly secured gas cap. The mechanic pointed out the gas cap is broken since the top partially separates from the base. Does anyone else's gas cap release a hiss when the cap is being opened?

My cap doesn't release any pressure. I just went on a stroll to the super market and back. The scent did die down but came back once and went away.

If you got an OEM muffler put back on it's possible that they didn't remove the stickers prior to mounting it. I've seen that happen before, they smell pretty bad for about a week while all the adhesive burns off. Take a look and see if you notice any OEM "Ford Motor Company" stickers on there usually combined with a barcode.

Well I found another possible cause for the smell, I found a bottle of fix-a-flat that was leaking out of the can. I'm surprised I didn't notice this earlier. I'll let you guys.know my results. Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.
Back