2002 lse spoiler installation?

mikegeezy21

LVC Member
Reaction score
Just purchased a 2002 LSE spoiler and want to install it on my 2000 Lincoln LS. What is the best way to do it? I don't just want to use 3m or 100mph tape. Don't want anyone to steal it. Help please...?

Thats how I have it and it's holding up great. I you want to bolt it down, you can drill some holes on it or fiberglass them in to the bottom of it, then drill holes for them on the trunk. I would just use the tape, but thats just me.

I am using the tape which came with mine. It has been on for 2 years and zero issues. Prep properly otherwise you could be in for a problem.

I am using the tape which came with mine. It has been on for 2 years and zero issues. Prep properly otherwise you could be in for a problem.

+1 Idid the same with mine as well......Marc I didn't know you had one on your LS? we need more pics of your ride brotha!!

Just purchased a 2002 LSE spoiler and want to install it on my 2000 Lincoln LS. What is the best way to do it? I don't just want to use 3m or 100mph tape. Don't want anyone to steal it. Help please...?

Don't install it! just sell it to me instead! :D JK Like everyone else says just prep it really well and make sure you have enough tape on there.

+1 Idid the same with mine as well......Marc I didn't know you had one on your LS? we need more pics of your ride brotha!!

I know....I know. You sound like D Nyce getting on me about pics....LOL. Have to get the rear sway bar bushings and a bad differential gasket changed out this coming Thursday. After that, it goes in Aug 2nd for paint on the front bumper cover and "such". As soon as it comes out, I will get some pics up. I am very close now that the ac issue is resolved.

Also just waiting on the cdc grille mesh Alax sent to me so it can all be done at one time.

I didn't get any tape with mine. I actually have to peel off the original factory stuff that is still on it. How should I prep and which tape do I use? Thanks.

I didn't get any tape with mine. I actually have to peel off the original factory stuff that is still on it. How should I prep and which tape do I use? Thanks.

Is it new or used? If its a new LSE spoiler it should have come with the tape...if not remove the old tape and install some 3m body tape.

Mine came with rubbing alcohol pads to clean the area the tape was going to be placed. The tape was already on mine. I am assuming it is some type of 3m product. If no one else knows exactly what kind to use, my recommendation is for you to speak to a local body shop that is known for good work. They should be able to point you in the right direction on what to use.

I haven't put my LSE spoiler on yet but I've taken my eBay spoiler off before and didn't harm the paint.

Cool thanks everybody! I'm putting it on tomorrow. Prep is what just clean the surface of the trunk real good? I'll start posting photos of my whip too. Lol.

Clean it and strip the wax from the area. Let everything set, wash and wax again. Anything will damage paint if it's on there long enough; shadows and what not. You'll see it if you debadge your LS. I think it will come out with wet sanding though.

I also have an LSE spoiler. What I'm looking to do is find someone that can make a mold of it so I can make a few. I figure I can make them out of either fiberglass or a urethane type material.

Nick,
I believe Renzo, the guy that restored a gen 1 LSE got one. Its in his restoration thread. On my phone so can't post the link. Ill update later.

I know its off-topic, just posting an alternative to the LSE spoiler thats pretty reasonably priced.

What type of prep do I need to do?

Wash
Claybar the area
IPA/Prepsol wipedown of the area

Also, will this 3m tape hurt the paint on my trunk?? Peel it?

Nope. The tape should come apart before pulling the paint off.

Cool thanks everybody! I'm putting it on tomorrow. Prep is what just clean the surface of the trunk real good? .

see above.

Anything will damage paint if it's on there long enough; shadows and what not. You'll see it if you debadge your LS. I think it will come out with wet sanding though.

Kind of the opposite, actually. The areas that are covered (the "shadowed" areas) are more true to the original color of your paint. The rest of the car is exposed to UV and the elements, and does fade over time. One of the biggest things you'll notice, especially on darker colors, is the scratches/swirls have a very big effect on the way you perceive the color. Those scratches/swirls only appear on exposed paint (you can only abrade the surface if it's exposed). The marred area will appear vastly different from the untouched paint section. Sometimes a simple polish is enough to take care of the color difference.

Members online

No members online now.
Back