Awful amound of front end noise...

Nick

LVC Member
Reaction score
Newbie here...just bought my 00 LS last friday. Has 58,000 miles on it. Have already had to fix the rear passenger window and also do brakes all around. My next problem to tackle is the front end. I have an excessive amount of noise or "clunking" coming from the front end. Our roads totally suck in louisiana, so i need to get this fixed with the quickness. Any common part failures on the front end of these cars? Possibly struts?? Thanks for any input.

Hi, I also had a bad clunking in the front end. It ended up being a broken stabalizer link. I found that this is common with LS's.... The dealer replaced it under warranty. :W

Welcom
It’s nice to have someone else in this forum from my neck of the woods.

I’ve noticed some strange bumping noises coming from the front end of my 00LS8 Sport so let us know what you end up doing.

Louisiana’s road aren’t any worse than MS’s.

I agree with FORDMAN. I have seen the same problems on some of the LS's we have worked on in our shop. That would be the first place I would check. While I was under there, I would also check the upper strut mounts and make sure everything looks good there. Sometimes the rubber detireorates on those upper mounts causing metal to metal noise.

Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered the upper strut mounts...amazingly only $14 a piece at the dealer and i'll pick up the sway bar links when the mounts come in. Hopefully that'll take care of it cause its kind of embarassing having people riding in my "new" car and having it make all kinds of noise. I'll let yall know the results this weekend.

Did anybody else have the lower ball joint break? If so, what else was tweaked or broken. The wheel it happened to won't pull back into alignment properly, and I have a nice clunk some of the time.

Figured i'd update this to let yall know the problem was indeed the sway bar bushings. They didn't look bad at all, but infact they were. Driver side took like 5 mins, freakin passenger side toke about an hour. Also changed the inner and outer tie rod on the passenger side as it was bent from the previous owner. So much better! Also installed drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads all around. Looks awesome and no more squeaky brakes!!

Sway bar bushings $12/piece
Inner tie rod $30
Outer tie rod $35
drill/slotted rotors $160(ebay,all 4)
Ceramic pads $80 (all around)
Alignment-free, great to know people at shops

Total $329

Freakin dealer wanted $728 to do just the sway bar and both tie rods, and the alignment. Insane!

Nick said:
Sway bar bushings $12/piece
Inner tie rod $30
Outer tie rod $35
drill/slotted rotors $160(ebay,all 4)
Ceramic pads $80 (all around)
Alignment-free, great to know people at shops

Total $329

Freakin dealer wanted $728 to do just the sway bar and both tie rods, and the alignment. Insane!

you never ever leave the dealer for anything less than 500 dollars.

Which pads did you use? Were they 80 for each wheel?

Well I knew it was going to be outrageous, but i couldn't tell where the noise was coming from so it was worth the $80 diagnostic fee for that, and they hit the nail on the head with the noise. I got the front ceramics from Advance and the rear ceramics from autozone. Both made my Morse and i got commercial discounts on both. Had the same pads on my truck, no noise and zero dust.

FreeFaller said:
That's what warranties are for...if you can get one that is.

Of course i could have, but this car is not hard to work on. Couldn't see spending like $1400 and then a deductible everytime it goes in. And it wouldn't have covered the brakes anyway...

Nick said:
Of course i could have, but this car is not hard to work on. Couldn't see spending like $1400 and then a deductible everytime it goes in. And it wouldn't have covered the brakes anyway...

the one I bought more than paid for itself. It might be easy to maintain but not everyone has full access to lifts and the host of tools required to make the repair. My time is worth much more than what I spent on the extended warranty. best expenditure I ever decided to make.

My warranty has since expired so I take these matters into my own hands now because I trust myself more than I do the dealer/shops.

The bushings now come with the anti-sway bar. They (bushings) are, IIRC, integrated with the revised bar. Apparently, just replacing the bushings wasn't a cure. They would fail again.

I just got one of those new sway bars. They say there are two different one. One for sport suspension and the other for regular. I didn't know how to tell one suspension from the other so I got the regular one for 111.00. Now I hear horror stories about putting the thing in. I would hate to take the old one out and have one that doesn't fit. Wont' know until the weekend.

Anybody know how much difference between the two sway bar? Will they both fit either model. The brackets are on the bar already.:(

Capt said:
I just got one of those new sway bars. They say there are two different one. One for sport suspension and the other for regular. I didn't know how to tell one suspension from the other so I got the regular one for 111.00. Now I hear horror stories about putting the thing in. I would hate to take the old one out and have one that doesn't fit. Wont' know until the weekend.

Anybody know how much difference between the two sway bar? Will they both fit either model. The brackets are on the bar already.:(

The difference is in the diameter of the bar.

Members online

No members online now.
Back