Tasca is quoting me 3 grand for my Lincoln in repairs

jdrocks

LVC Member
Reaction score
So i need about 4 coils plugs etc, however there saying I need a cat converter

It runs pretty good has a rough idle, and surges very little when driving. Is it worth it its a 2002 Silver Lse with 105 on it, thinking of trading it in save me I love this car

You can do coils,plugs, and valve cover gaskets yourself if you know how to work a ratchet for around $300. Cats can be replace at a muffler shop for around $200-$300 in my area as well.

I am not mechanically inclined at all I mean Id be ok with them doing the coils etc its the converter I'm worried there screwing me for. So don't have them do it and shop around

Not sure how that's a $3k quote. I mean, I'm sure the coils they would purchase are expensive from the dealership, but still. It doesn't take that much time.

What's wrong with the cat? Is it clogged?

I would just start with the coils for now. Pick up a full set of the Visteons and swap all of them since you need 4 anyway.

I am not mechanically inclined at all I mean Id be ok with them doing the coils etc its the converter I'm worried there screwing me for. So don't have them do it and shop around

Did they give you individual prices on the repair work? I'm curious about where they're blowing up the price.

If the cat does need to be replaced, just pick up a universal Magnaflow cat on eBay and take it to a shop to have installed. They can just cut out the old cat and weld in the new one.

Not sure how that's a $3k quote. I mean, I'm sure the coils they would purchase are expensive from the dealership, but still. It doesn't take that much time.

What's wrong with the cat? Is it clogged?

I would just start with the coils for now. Pick up a full set of the Visteons and swap all of them since you need 4 anyway.

Did they give you individual prices on the repair work? I'm curious about where they're blowing up the price.

If the cat does need to be replaced, just pick up a universal Magnaflow cat on eBay and take it to a shop to have installed. They can just cut out the old cat and weld in the new one.

I'd like to see an itemized quote as well. I could see the cats being very expensive through the dealer.

cats are VERY expensive through the dealer. I wonder if they are trying to get you to replace both. Last I checked they were like $900 EACH. :eek:

cats are VERY expensive through the dealer. I wonder if they are trying to get you to replace both. Last I checked they were like $900 EACH. :eek:

I think that the dealers only do them as a set, possibly complete with mufflers and everything exhaust related.

Seems like quite a bit of overkill. Just checked at tascaparts, and they want 605 (list is 846) per cat (looks like it comes with some exhaust pipe partway to the resonators). The muffler "assembly" runs 645 (list is 876) and includes the resonators. These prices look like per side. If that's the case, tasca gets 2500 bucks for the exhaust system (minus manifolds). Holy sheet.

Ford will only put on ford specified parts and yes they have to by law put both cats on some places won't and there may be no need to but ford is going to do this by the book nd 1800 is the price for both cats.

Now I have magnaflow 91065 cats on my car as they have both o2 bungs and they work great you will need them in 2.25in inlet out let for both and they will be about 200 for the pair with shipping. I had my shop put custom bent 2,25 inch pipe from the manifold to the mufflers and that was $275 (both sides not each)

So find a decent muffler chop and you will spend maybe 300 to have both cats welded in assuming they don't have problems.

As well the coils and valve cover gaskets are very simple just time consuming you can do them your self with a little work and turning some wrenches.

I think that the dealers only do them as a set, possibly complete with mufflers and everything exhaust related.

legally they do not have to do the whole system but they do have to replace the cats as a pair at least in my state

jdrocks would be correct on the quote from Tasca. I live in Cranston RI. So if you need any help let me know. Second I would call Flood ford in East Greenwich. I have always checked prices at them both and Flood is always cheaper. You can also try New England Tire on Warwick ave and ask for Chris, I have had my car serviced by them and they are not expensive. If you have to put new cats I would get an entire magnaflow cat back system for one it is cheaper than the stock exhaust and second you'll get better performance and sound out of the car. I just went on the team ford website which is Tasca's website and the exhaust with resonators and cats is almost $2100.00 just parts. you can get a cast back system from magnaflow for $1040.00 plus shipping.

jdrocks would be correct on the quote from Tasca. I live in Cranston RI. So if you need any help let me know. Second I would call Flood ford in East Greenwich. I have always checked prices at them both and Flood is always cheaper. You can also try New England Tire on Warwick ave and ask for Chris, I have had my car serviced by them and they are not expensive. If you have to put new cats I would get an entire magnaflow cat back system for one it is cheaper than the stock exhaust and second you'll get better performance and sound out of the car. I just went on the team ford website which is Tasca's website and the exhaust with resonators and cats is almost $2100.00 just parts. you can get a cast back system from magnaflow for $1040.00 plus shipping.

Even cheaper on eBay for the Magnaflow. Saw a brand new one for about $450 a few months ago. A full catback.

Dlo I live in Warwick I drive a silver LSE sure we'll pass each other soon

Yeah if I sound completly dumb please forgive me as I'm new to cars

I'm getting a hookup on the rate but he said that would be if I order the cat from Tasca

Now lets say I fix all the coils etc and just leave the cats, I'm told it will only effect my gas mpg. I'm getting according to the dash 14.6 now. Little low but whats the average say 16 17 so I'm thinking about just leaving them and doing the coils.

I'm getting around 16.4 right now. I have a CAI going in soon. My LS is Black with black rims, black rear surround and grille. Cops in Cranston made me pull off my tint. I am going to get it painted this spring my cousin manages a body shop and he is gonna paint it for $600.00.

I have been pulled over 8 times by Warwick and RI State Troopers since I bought the LSE in March. And no I don't do drugs etc.I'm 21 and I do drive with a "lean" so they must assume I'm a punk. This car is a target for cops

I live in Groton, CT. Not too far from you guys. I'd just get the Magnaflows, and get a set of Magnaflow cats. Measure the inlet and outlet before ordering. Then get a Felpro Valve cover gasket set off eBay. $3000? Lol If I wouldn't have just sold my welder (blown motor), I would have installed the whole exhaust for 2 30 racks of Busch Light. 4 racks I would have done everything. And YES, I will work for BEER!!!

I have been pulled over 8 times by Warwick and RI State Troopers since I bought the LSE in March. And no I don't do drugs etc.I'm 21 and I do drive with a "lean" so they must assume I'm a punk. This car is a target for cops

I don't know...... Since I've owned LSes (8/00) I've been pulled over a dozen or so times. The end result is 4 tickets; one for 97 in a 65 (in 2001; he wrote 80+ on the ticket), two fix-it tickets (one for tint here in CA and one for no front plate in NE) and my most recent 90 in a 65 (last October; on that one he wrote 70+). The most expensive was the latest, ~$325 including traffic school.

My wife is a little peeved that I usually don't get cited and she does :shifty:

I don't know...... Since I've owned LSes (8/00) I've been pulled over a dozen or so times. The end result is 4 tickets; one for 97 in a 65 (in 2001; he wrote 80+ on the ticket), two fix-it tickets (one for tint here in CA and one for no front plate in NE) and my most recent 90 in a 65 (last October; on that one he wrote 70+). The most expensive was the latest, ~$325 including traffic school.

My wife is a little peeved that I usually don't get cited and she does :shifty:

That's hilarious my GF has this same issue. She is a super cautious driver but has been popped twice in the last 2 years ticketed both times )speeding I think). Whereas I've been pulled over 5 times and only been issued 1 ticket which I pleaded not guilty to and the cop didnt show up for the second hearing so CASE DISMISSED. lol

I live in Groton, CT. Not too far from you guys. I'd just get the Magnaflows, and get a set of Magnaflow cats. Measure the inlet and outlet before ordering. Then get a Felpro Valve cover gasket set off eBay. $3000? Lol If I wouldn't have just sold my welder (blown motor), I would have installed the whole exhaust for 2 30 racks of Busch Light. 4 racks I would have done everything. And YES, I will work for BEER!!!

Quoted $3000 by your dealer for exhaust repairs? Fear not! For 120 beers centason will fix your :q:q:q:q haha

Heck yeah!!! Wish I still had my frackin welder:( I used to do odd jobs like this for everyone. Never had to pay for beer or smokes, and the wife was happy cause she had more money in her pocket.(husbands never actually get to see paper money anymore).

Members online

No members online now.
Back