COP Connectors Broke

davemeradith

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace some of my COP connectors (the electrical connections) because the plastic clip broke and it won't snap together to the COP housing, rather just holds itself in place. I'd like to know if I should just do this individually, or if i can replace whole electrical wiring harness because three out of four connectors are broke on one side.

I'm looking to replace some of my COP connectors (the electrical connections) because the plastic clip broke and it won't snap together to the COP housing, rather just holds itself in place. I'd like to know if I should just do this individually, or if i can replace whole electrical wiring harness because three out of four connectors are broke on one side.

See if you can trace the wire back to a terminal strip. I would think they are in a harness right out of the PCM. The connectors are probably attached to pins that push into the connectors. If so see if you can undo them. If not they are crimped directly. You'll have to cut the wire at the connectors to reattach. Do a search looking for connector suppliers, of course it helps if you have a part #.
An easy and quick way out is to get some high heat (usually blue) 1/8" tye wraps and use them to fasten the connector to the COP.

You can get a pigtail from ford, then you will cut the wire and splice the new pigtail in

I would recommend soldering and heat shrinking.

Wires go back deeper behind engine. I can't tell where they go without a wiring diagram or taking off a lot more parts, but I'm assuming you're correct in thinking they go straight to PCM. I'll try a quick fix until I find a better part or solution.

+1 on calling Maxx and ask for the pigtails.
Tracing back through the entire harness and replacing the entire run would be difficult. They are unique connectors on the COP, so I don't think you can but just the connector shell.

When you get the pigtails, you can try popping out the wires, then removing the existing wires from the existing plugs, and pup the existing wires into the new plugs. Usually the catches for the connectors are very small, but not necessarily difficult to release. Then you wouldn't need to do any soldering.

+1 on calling maxx and ask for the pigtails.
Tracing back through the entire harness and replacing the entire run would be difficult. They are unique connectors on the cop, so i don't think you can but just the connector shell.

When you get the pigtails, you can try popping out the wires, then removing the existing wires from the existing plugs, and pup the existing wires into the new plugs. Usually the catches for the connectors are very small, but not necessarily difficult to release. Then you wouldn't need to do any soldering.

++1

I just did this job about 2 weeks ago. I replaced the plugs and coils. Five of the 8 coil conectors had broken tabs.
I used some ty-raps and all is fine. Much cheaper than trying to replace the connectors and just as secure.

I just did this job about 2 weeks ago. I replaced the plugs and coils. Five of the 8 coil conectors had broken tabs.
I used some ty-raps and all is fine. Much cheaper than trying to replace the connectors and just as secure.

What the hell is the deal with this? When I replaced my plugs last weekend, I broke 4 of the tabs. Is it the heat?

I just pushed the connectors back on. They seem to sit pretty snugly. I don't really see them moving.

The zipties are a great idea though. I have to do the passenger side valve cover gasket next weekend so maybe I'll slap some zipties or electrical tape on the connectors to try to secure them a little better when I have the covers off.

I agree. Just pass a tie wrap between the wires of the plug and wrap it around the coil. The plastic becomes brittle with age. I have one broken plug on my 03 LS8, and it's been this way for a couple of years. Ford changed the coils under warranty and didn't even put the tie strap back on, so I'm not sure it's absolutely necessary, but I'll keep the strap on for safety.

dang. i got 3 broken and thats just on one side. ill buy some zip ties lol.

I have 6 out of 8 broken from when i reversed the wires doing my Accel coils. They are very brittle after 150k miles. I didnt use zip ties. They stay on pretty good and they are not covered so they are easy to inspect.

OK I know this is late but the easiest way to repair this is use a very small dab of super glue. Use it right on top close to where clip broke.
that way a small amount of finger nail paint remover will dissolve it when needed.

Second way is you can get new plastic piece and remove pins form from old broken clip and push them in new one. this takes a very small special tool but cheap enough to own.

Good Luck. BTW very small dab

Better late than never, thanks for the input!

after i replaced my pig tails my mechanic told me he just uses a little RTV black gasket material around the connectors before pushing them in. it holds them together but is easy enough to pull off.

this is AFTER I cut and spliced and soldered new pig tails on, and accidentally swapped wires going to 2 cylinders and spent months hunting down why the car ran fine half the time and was cutting out the rest of the time.

Members online

No members online now.
Back