Drone noise, hub assembly.

Starting to hear the drone noise, time to replace a hub assembly again but last time had the dealer ordered the part.
Is this all I need?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fron...424586QQ_trksidZp5197Q2em7QQitemZ150581827123

Thanks everyone!

I bought these hubs because they were cheap and offered a lifetime warranty. I have about 4 months on them and running good. No bearing noise or anything. They ship same day. I have no complaints. They do come with the sensors like the picture shows.

You will need some red loctite for the bolts that hold the hub assembly to the arm. Then that should be it. Just remember that you will have to have a good 13mm deep well socket to get the hub bolts off. I had a cheap 13mm socket and it got tore apart when cranking on these bolts.

Last edited:
what do you mean by drone noise? Mine just started this weird growling noise but only happens sometimes as of late.

The drone sounds almost like a truck tire tread humming down the road, or a droning exhaust note. Gets loud when you turn one way, and quiet when you turn the other way.

My brakes also "groan" or rumble on that wheel with moderate pressure. Probably need to grease the slides again. The wheel is also covered with dust, much more than the other side.

Intresting def not my case it only happens when I lightly apply the brakes im leading towards the sway bar bushings maybe dry? Replaced the bushings over a year ago and i dont think they have been greased since then.

Thank you for the info anyways;)

I hear a noise kinda like a squeling noise when I drive by a another car or one of the cement divider so things like that i hear it in the front driver side rim

is this like the bearing?

I hear a noise kinda like a squeling noise when I drive by a another car or one of the cement divider so things like that i hear it in the front driver side rim

is this like the bearing?

Usually squealing is the brake. Does the noise change or go away when you press the brakes? If it goes away or changes then it probably is the brakes.

Does the squeal change with engine speed or road speed? Road speed means the wheel assembly(brakes, or hub). Engine speed may mean bad pulley bearings on the engine accessories.

Usually(from what I read, and my TWO time experience) the hub going bad will usually starts as a low rumble that gets louder over time(weeks). It kind of sounds like driving on rain grooves or a pebbly road. My son said it sounds like a B17 bomber on a mission, that was when it had got real bad.

If it is a brake squeal and it is all the time, MAYBE, there is a pebble stuck between the caliper and the dust shield. You can usually find this by removing the wheel and checking with a bright light. Otherwise the caliper is dragging(grease the pins and sliders) or the pads are the wrong compound for your car, or you might just need to grease up the backside of the steel backing of the pads. When pads vibrate they can make a squeal if there is metal to metal contact. You could also try that blue antisqueal stuff, kind of glues the pad backing to the caliper, but I never had lasting results with that. My pads get too hot and burn off the blue goo.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

OH, and double check the warranty statement on that ebay hub. Near the end it says all hub warranties are 1 year, not lifetime. I bought a Raybestos from JC WHitney, the paper warranty is 1 year but I feel more comfortable about warranty coverage from Raybestos and JC WHitney. But still either hub has a 1 year warranty and the Raybestos is $104.

i mean my brakes squeal its a different noise i guess not a squeal but like on an old bike that noise I wish I had a damn word for it other than squeal

this is a lame comparison but you know the moive friday when debo rolls up on the bike that it makes that noise hahaha kinda like that and I only hear it mainly on the freeways when there is like a cement divider type thing or driving by a bunch of parked cars next to eachother

not sure if it does it all the time becuase i cant hear it all the time but im sure it does

Members online

No members online now.
Back