One problem after another....

anthonyspare

LVC Member
Reaction score
Just had my power steering pump and serpentine belt replaced two days ago. So i get to work this morning and my car is leaking coolant under the hood on the drivers side. Any ideas?

If its leaking by the drivers front tire then its your degas bottle

If it is the degas bottle is this something that could have been damaged when the pump and belt was replaced? How much am I looking at to fix this?

The degas bottle is about $100. It is not a hard thing at all for the DIY'r just a pain to get to. You need to be a bit of a contortionist. The deags bottle is located against the firewall at the corner where the fender meets, it's where you fill your coollant. The bottles are prone to cracking so I doubt it had anything to do with the belt.

If it is the degas bottle is this something that could have been damaged when the pump and belt was replaced? How much am I looking at to fix this?

No, but they would have disturbed the hoses in the front. Some of the hoses have plastic sections, and most of them connect to plastic parts. The plastic cooling system parts seem to start failing after some period of time. They may have trigger one or more parts to crack open, but I wouldn't blame them for it.

So this degas bottle is simply another name for the coolant reservoir?? Thats what i'm seeing when i've searched online. If thats the case couldnt I remove it and look for cracks? Or maybe it was over-filled?

So this degas bottle is simply another name for the coolant reservoir?? Thats what i'm seeing when i've searched online. If thats the case couldnt I remove it and look for cracks? Or maybe it was over-filled?

Yes it is and yes you could do that. Believe me though, once you get it out (which will take some time) you will want to put a new one in. It is a P.I.A. and for the $100 it costs to buy... you really don't want to have to take them out and install them too often.

So how would you all go about this problem? I would clearly love the cheapest way out since I replaced the water pump assembly, upper radiator hose, power steering pump, and serpertine belt since January.

I guess my question is how do I know its the degas bottle that needs to be replaced without going to the dealer or mechanic?

I would clearly love the cheapest way out since I replaced the water pump assembly, upper radiator hose, power steering pump, and serpertine belt since January.
the cheapest way is rarely ever the correct way
I guess my question is how do I know its the degas bottle that needs to be replaced without going to the dealer or mechanic?
get it to leaking conditions and confirm where the leak is coming from, there is only one thing that commonly goes bad and leaks coolant where it is.

When I had gotten to work I noticed a leak after about 2 hours of being parked. I could just see the coolant beading up under the front drivers side, it wasn't a solid drip. But after that it hasn't leaked anymore from what i've seen. Maybe, hopefully, it was over-filled.

Usually if the car is parked on a flat level surface with a leaking degas bottle, the wet spot is behind the front wheel. The degas bottle sits right above the rear of the front tire against the firewall. So that would make sense right? Maybe there was just some overflow from the work they did. I hope that's all it is, cause I know how much it stinks to keep throwing money into a car. However, the car is worth it casue when they are running good there is not tomuch else that compares to it. Keep us posted.

When I had gotten to work I noticed a leak after about 2 hours of being parked. I could just see the coolant beading up under the front drivers side, it wasn't a solid drip. But after that it hasn't leaked anymore from what i've seen. Maybe, hopefully, it was over-filled.

It's possible. Excess coolant will vent from the cap on the degas bottle.

Members online

No members online now.
Back